Author Topic: Peter Reinhart's Neo-Neapolitan / NY  (Read 2074 times)

Offline Wazatron

• 100% Pizza!!
Peter Reinhart's Neo-Neapolitan / NY
« on: July 26, 2009, 10:59:06 PM »
Hi all - not sure if this is the best thread, as technically this experiment was a neo-Neapolitan dough, but it's very close to the author's NY style, and the methods are pretty much NY style as well. Anyhow, not sure if anyone has read/purchased the book "American Pie", but it's a pretty fun read. About half the book is a story of his search for the perfect pizza, and the other half is full of recipes and such.

I just recently tried a couple nights worth of the Neo-Neapolitan dough and the NY dough. It has kind of an interesting method, in that you put the dough in zip-lock bags before putting them in the fridge (individual balls as well). Here are some pictures fwiw.

Also, I recently got some bricks and have kind of made a mini in-oven brick oven. It's made a world of difference to my pizzas! It's fun to set and use as well. I'm getting some good charring for a home oven, with some nice crisp upskirts. :D

At any rate, the pizzas were really good. Some of the best pizzas I've made to date, but with my experience in NY type pizzas I can't say that's saying much. :) The dough was very flavorful, but a bit hard to work with - tough to get all the way out. It didn't tear easily, but I tore it a couple times in just messing with it too long, trying to get it thin enough. Overall slightly too chewy for my tastes, but again the flavor was fantastic. If anyone hasn't read the book and is curious about what it was just let me know. Also, if this should be more in the Neapolitan bard I'm fine with it being moved. But it's closer to NY than Neap.

Offline Wazatron

• 100% Pizza!!
Re: Peter Reinhart's Neo-Neapolitan / NY
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 11:00:04 PM »
From the 2nd night.