Author Topic: Leaving the Quarry Tiles in the oven?  (Read 1250 times)

Offline realityinabox

Leaving the Quarry Tiles in the oven?
« on: August 24, 2009, 01:02:43 PM »
Hello folks,

After doing a google search about broken  pizza stones, I ended up on this site reading about quarry stones.  Seems like a great (and cheap!!) improvement for my oven. 

I ran the idea by my wife (who loves my pizza), and her main concern was the ability to still bake other things in the oven.  Obviously we'd be able to remove the tiles, but that would get rather tedious. 

Is it a good idea to only use the tiles when baking pizza (or other breads), or could we leave them in there all the time? 

Thanks, and expect to see more of me around here, as I am becoming a pizza making fanatic...

-Steve

Offline Mad_Ernie

Re: Leaving the Quarry Tiles in the oven?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 10:02:39 AM »
Steve,

You can leave them in there all the time but they take up space and most importantly they will suck up heat, so it will take longer to cook foods you would otherwise not be placing on the tiles.  I have left my pizza stone in the oven on occasion on one of the racks and cooked other foods in our oven.  The heat absorption is really the main detriment.
Let them eat pizza.

Offline pacoast

Re: Leaving the Quarry Tiles in the oven?
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 12:19:22 PM »
I never take the baking stone out of my kitchen oven. It adds thermal mass and stabilizes the temperature. I don't see any detriment at all other than longer oven warm up times.

pizzapan