Author Topic: Post your blasphemous photo  (Read 4106 times)

Offline shango

Post your blasphemous photo
« on: July 19, 2009, 01:11:50 AM »
As we all know certain toppings are taboo for the "traditional Napolitan" pizzaiolo.  It is fun to defy the laws of tradition. 

Please post your photos here.  Take a look at mine, the insidious pepperoni:
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Post your blasphemous photo
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 01:19:20 AM »
Pepperoni? Not even close to blasphemous:

Huitlacoche (corn fungus) and shrimp

Offline shango

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 02:07:08 AM »
I guess the fungus is the mucky looking stuff?  What does it taste like?

I'm not much of a fan of cheese with seafood  :-[ , well, except for anchovy.

The pizza looks great!  Viva la Revolucion!!
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline Villa Roma

• In search of the ever elusive leopard spots!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 06:11:47 AM »
In a continuing effort to insult as many nationalities as possible on a pizza, I offer up the Mexi-Yorka-Politano pizza!

It starts out with black bean salsa, jalapeno Monterey jack cheese, a few dollops of refried beans, crushed habanero Doritoes, onions, black olives and cilantro. Next time I'll add some chopped buffalo chicken strips.

Villa Roma

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 08:11:06 AM »
here they are...

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 09:48:09 AM »
I surrender !!   :P Those pictures are amazing!... I can taste the pies from the pics.... Thanks for sharing those great shots!!

Infoodel

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 10:09:32 AM »
Pepperoni? Not even close to blasphemous:

Huitlacoche (corn fungus) and shrimp
Cool pizza! alhough I'm really curious - what does Huitlacoche taste like? I've never had the ?pleasure? and can't easily get hold of it where I am in the UK but I'm willing to give anything a shot...

As for blasphemous toppings - I think my recent 'pizza seuss' (in the monthly challenge section) qualifies as blasphemous. 'greens, egg and ham'. Pun pizza...where it's AT right now! :P

Toby

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 01:07:14 PM »
I guess the fungus is the mucky looking stuff?  What does it taste like?

The huitlacoche is the black stuff. When it is fresh, it is a deep blue/black mass. When you can cook up some fresh huitlacoche, the flavor is a like a rich, deep, earthy mushroom with chocolatey undertones. I used canned ones for that pizza, which is still good if doctored up, but not even close to the fresh stuff. I've also seen it sold frozen. Many corn farmers throw it away when they find it growing on the corn.  :'( They call it corn smut. Clever marketing types have dubbed it "corn truffles" or "Mexican truffles. Regardless, it is delicacy when fresh.

I've got some canned ones that I'm planning to use this week to make some ravioli with a poblano cream sauce.

Offline Jraducha

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 06:16:41 PM »
The huitlacoche is the black stuff. When it is fresh, it is a deep blue/black mass. When you can cook up some fresh huitlacoche, the flavor is a like a rich, deep, earthy mushroom with chocolatey undertones. I used canned ones for that pizza, which is still good if doctored up, but not even close to the fresh stuff. I've also seen it sold frozen. Many corn farmers throw it away when they find it growing on the corn.  :'( They call it corn smut. Clever marketing types have dubbed it "corn truffles" or "Mexican truffles. Regardless, it is delicacy when fresh.

I've got some canned ones that I'm planning to use this week to make some ravioli with a poblano cream sauce.

I meant to respond to this when Bill posted it...
I worked for a plant geneticist for 5 summers on the Oregon State University Research Farm and my least favorite data to collect was the corn smut trials.  I would always save that plot to work at the end of the day because I would end up covered with black smut spores... even on my teeth and in my blonde hair!  Farmers hate corn smut because the spores spread it so rapidly that it can decimate an entire field very quickly .  Had I only known that you could EAT that stuff.... but it looks so disgusting on the ears of corn, I often wonder who was the first to stick it in their mouths... I'm guessing some poor farmer who had no choice but to eat the infested corn.  Interesting that it has become a delicacy!

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!