Author Topic: Real Pizza!!!!!  (Read 3746 times)

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
Real Pizza!!!!!
« on: July 27, 2009, 11:56:51 PM »
The Real Deal !!!!!!!!

Don't it make you CRAZY ?????

Does Me !!!!!!!!!

Mangia Bene  :chef:

Jerry

Offline pacoast

Re: Real Pizza!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 01:21:04 AM »
Videos like this are seductive. But I suppose you could build an authentic Neapolitan oven in your kitchen & take a VPN course for the cost of a decent boat, pool, Mercedes, etc. Or on the DIY side, something comparable for well under $5K. Not inexpensive, but less than that cottage at the lake or a plane would cost.

Just think of it as a stress reduction program. It's hard to make a Neapolitan pizza without a proper oven; so much easier once you swing the oven. I struggled to make great espresso for a year and had just about decided that it was alchemy. Then I had a chance to use some high end equipment & found it almost effortless. It's definitely easier with good tools.

Offline kiwipete

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 05:37:50 PM »
That is one very hot oven!

That pizza cooked in 38 seconds...

Offline bicster

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 09:41:05 PM »
i had the pleasure of eating there recently, it was great.  our pizzas did not have as much leoparding as in the video, but we were there pretty early, so that might have something to do with it.

any idea what they are using, yeast-wise? 

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 09:48:21 PM »
Molto,  :( Molto,  :( Bene  ;D

Mangia Bene  :chef:
Jerry

Offline Carmine D

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 12:27:35 AM »
Hi thank you,
my name is Carmine and I'm the one in the video.
We use fresh beer yeast that's it.
To get the leoparding ,the dough has to be very hydrated and the oven crazy hot, plus has a 24 hours rising room temperature.
Ciao

Offline s00da

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 02:42:14 AM »
Hi thank you,
my name is Carmine and I'm the one in the video.
We use fresh beer yeast that's it.
To get the leoparding ,the dough has to be very hydrated and the oven crazy hot, plus has a 24 hours rising room temperature.
Ciao

Welcome to the forum Carmine, it's great to have someone with such experience in authentic Neapolitan pizza shedding some light on the process used in the commercial setting. What kind of advice can you give to home pizza makers using the caputo flour in terms of recipe, mixing and dough preparation?

Saad

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 08:04:18 AM »
YES Welcome Carmine. great video! Sooda,Thanks for asking for us home pizza wood fired enthusiast.
I did notice Sunday with the very wet warm dough I was getting that nice leoparding effect. and as mentioned my oven was 950 + ish
It has taken my a while to trust this warm almost soupy dough, but man it works great
wish I had some pics.
John
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 08:06:34 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline pacoast

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 12:15:39 AM »
Welcome Carmine.
We all wish that we could make pizza like you do in the video. Very nice.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 11:42:04 AM »
carmine, can you tell us what beer yeast is ? i have seen budweiser wet yeast which is the same as a red star wet yeast. or, are you using the yeast that you use to brew beer with? your pizza and pizza making skills are amazing . you make it look so easy and it is one of the hardest things to try and master.  wish i lived closer would love to try your pizza ! welcome to the forum!

Offline Carmine D

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 02:23:54 PM »
Hi thanks for the compliments,
I never made pizza at home so it's hard giving out a recipe without even tried, I know it's really hard getting certain results without having a good wood burning oven.
It's very nice seeing that you guys have such a great passion about pizza.
The yeast I use is the one in panetti the cubic one I'm not even sure has a brand name.
And most of the time is different like old in Napoli we say cucinato, we get it from California and makes my life a little harder .
Regarding the soupiness of the pizza when you cook with such hight temperature you really need to go easy on the toppings especially sauce
Ciao Carmine

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 02:48:28 PM »
Carmine,
I was speaking of my dough being very soft almost soupy not the Pizza. outside temp was about 90F. After a slight roll in the flour I was able to shape and get on the peel with no prob. great. I have learned to go very light on topping / sauce on this style Thanks for the insight
Yeast you use is from California?
thanks
John
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 02:50:51 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 02:55:51 PM »
can you tell us what beer yeast is ?

The expressions "beer yeast", "yeast of beer" and "brewer's yeast", when used in the context of Neapolitan doughs, mean fresh yeast, also known as cake yeast, compressed yeast or wet yeast. In this document, http://www.pizzanapoletana.org/images/file/disciplinare%202008%20UK.pdf, the term used for the yeast is compressed yeast.

Peter

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 03:27:57 PM »
what would be a good starting yeast percentage for a 24 hour room rise in 85 deg weather and high humidity. i am not happy with my capito dough too tough.i need to try a new method

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 04:33:38 PM »
what would be a good starting yeast percentage for a 24 hour room rise in 85 deg weather and high humidity.

I don't want to send this thread in a new direction, and I would be anxious to hear Carmine's recommendation if he offers one, but trying to raise a dough at a room temperature of 85 degrees F for 24 hours using cake yeast will be extremely difficult to do. You will see what I mean if you read Reply 58 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7225.msg78689.html#msg78689. In that case, I used IDY at 0.00449% to get a doubling of the dough in 24 hours at a room temperature of about 82 degrees F (I was using KABF, not Caputo). Had I used cake yeast instead of IDY, I would have used 0.01347% cake yeast. That would be 0.0352956 grams. To put that amount of cake yeast in perspective, it would be about 1/500th of one of those little 17 gram cubes of cake yeast sold in some supermarkets. 

For those who are interested, Carmine has a website at http://www.carminedamatopizzanapoletana.com/index.html.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 05:01:26 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 05:29:10 PM »
on 2000 grams of flour that would be about three grams of wet yeast yes, or am i calculating wrong?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 05:37:18 PM »
on 2000 grams of flour that would be about three grams of wet yeast yes, or am i calculating wrong?

It's 0.2694 grams (2000 x 0.01347% = 0.2694).

Peter

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 05:45:38 PM »
then about the only way to get there would be to use a piece of dough for the fermentation . do you know of a formula for that ?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 05:53:38 PM »
then about the only way to get there would be to use a piece of dough for the fermentation . do you know of a formula for that ?

I suspect that JerryMac will forgive us, but we are on the verge of hijacking this thread. Please start a new thread and pose your concerns and what you are trying/want to do.

Thanks.

Peter

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 06:04:33 PM »
sorry ,JerryMac  this is a enlightening thread .

pizzapan