Author Topic: New look  (Read 8029 times)

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
Re: New look
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2005, 07:08:27 PM »
I really like the "PIZZA!" on the menu...great!

One thing...on my screen (at 1024x768), the menu looks way too far over to the right.  Also, the white box it's enclosed in looks too far right as well.  I'm not sure how you've set it up (tables, CSS, etc), but from my point of view it seems skewed way over past where it should be.

Oh, one other thing....the button "Enter Pizza Forum" is the last thing I see on my screen, right at the bottom....if I was a new visitor, I might not realize that there's a list of recipe links below it ;D

Dave
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 07:16:05 PM by canadave »

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2005, 07:20:51 PM »
One *more* think ;D .....

I didn't even realize there was a "Resources" section with links way at the bottom.  I thought the whole column was recipes.

My personal suggestion (toss it away like a bad batch of dough if you like) would be to have a simple selection of three buttons in a "splash screen" banner: Pizza Forum (or "Pizza Discussion", if you prefer), Pizza Recipes, Pizza Resources.  Something like this:

------------------------
|           PIZZA!           |
|                                |
| [welcome message] |
|                                 |
|     [button 1]            |
|     [button 2]            |
|     [button 3]            |
|                                |
-------------------------

--Dave

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2005, 07:23:22 PM »
You're getting dangerous...love the Italian colors!

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2005, 11:10:50 PM »
LOOKS PERFECT NOW STEVE !

As Emeril says  "Oh Yeah Babe ! "
;D ;D

One last time, check out the main menu... added some new stuff.

http://www.pizzamaking.com

Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2005, 11:14:30 PM »
Oh by the way !!

I finally figured something out !!

When you wish to bold some text do this !

write what you wanna write.......... then go back and use your mouse to HIGHLITE the text !

NOW, and only now hit the "B" button.

doh - am I the only one that was doing it manually .... oh geez.... I'd  press  the B button before the word I wanted to bold,
then after the word I wanted to bold ( without highliting it ) ... then I'd manually remove the little [/B ) and
anyway don't even ask  ::)

doh doh doh !! somebody hit me with a pizza or something !  ;D

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2005, 11:18:19 PM »
Steve,

one suggestion... try doing the button with white text (bold ) ... don't upload it to the site but check it first,
does it stand out more than the the black text on the button now ?

if so, change it.... make that "pizza forum" stand out..... I think white *MAY* stand out more.

just a suggestion, but I love the new look and the "Pizza" in Italian colors ! - wowie.

Mark

Offline pizzabill

• Pizza Maker's journal
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2005, 05:26:35 PM »

I am trying to position the site so that it ranks #1 in Google searches for "pizza making", "making pizza", and "pizza recipes". In order to get top Google rankings, the main menu must stay pretty close to the way it is now... Currently the site is #1 for searches on "pizza making" (duh), and is ranked #2 for "making pizza" and doesn't even show up on the list for "pizza recipes". That should change with the new menu as I've incorporated the word "recipe" into the menu as it was not mentioned before.

If this site can jump to #1 for "pizza recipes" then I think we'll see a dramatic increase in new members as that's probably the phrase most people with key into Google. I'm anxious to see if we make the list the next time Google indexes the site.

Steve, the site is looking very sharp! Great work. As for Google placement, there may be a few more things you can do. For what it's worth, out of all of your target phrases, "pizza recipes" definitely has the most demand. Here are the number of searches in January 2005 from overture:

1. pizza recipe (13,752 searches)
2. pizza making (716 searches)
3. pizza dough making (184 searches)

You can see the potential for growth here!

There are 3.9 Million results in Google for "pizza making" and 3.02 Million results for "pizza recipes". This means it should be reasonable to place for that phrase as well. I agree this would probably get a whole bunch of new members for the community.

Looking over the site briefly, there are a few simple things that could be done to make the spiders "see" that phrase a bit more. Some of the more simple optimization techniques seem to really work well in Yahoo! and the new MSN search. I won't go into depth too much, but here are some basic comments:

1. The home page looks great, but make better use of the old-school html tags like H1 and H2. These seem to really tell the spiders what the important phrases are on the site. Also in this line of thought, do your best to make the link phrases key words. In fact, just linking to other pages within the site from the inner pages could boost page rank of the pages being linked to. Consider a fixed navigation at the bottom of every page for the recipes that have made it to infamy.

Example:

<A HREF="http://www.pizzamaking.com/thincrust.php">Thin Crust Pizza Recipe</A> | <A HREF="http://www.pizzamaking.com/newyorkstyle.php">New York Style Pizza Recipe</A> | ...  etc.

2. Page file names are important nowadays.  Consider renaming files like "thincrust.php" to something more spider friendly, like "thin_crust_pizza_recipe.php".

3. I see that some attention has already been placed to TITLE tags and that's good. However, your META DESCRIPTION tags could be more like paragraphs with some key phrases. Some search engines use this as the information they display under your link in the serps so the more info the better.

4. The newer search engine algorithms really seem to favor dynamic pages. This site changes all the time, but you would never know that from the home page. Consider bringing some code to the home page which lists the most popular forum posts or the most recent. The spiders check the home page most often - if it hasn't changed, they sometimes stop there. This has benefits to real visitors too, of course.

5. Get your target phrases in the text content of the home page! I love the words on the home page, too, but "pizza" and "recipes" are not next to each other anywhere in it.

6. There are ways to get a boost in traffic besides search engines. Consider a mailing list (opt-in, of course) for some sort of newsletter. More exciting is the buzz about news feeds for sites with lots of content. You could build RSS into your site which allows people to be notified every time the site changes. I know I would sign up!

7. One more thing... encourage all your members to link to this site if they have a web site (especially if it involves "pizza" or "recipes") Links from the neighborhood can be very valuable for rankings.  Give us some graphics, or preferably some text links that we can copy and paste into our sites. Make sure your key phrases are involved!

There's probably more, but I don't want to bore everyone with too long of a post. I hope I've been a little helpful. I love this site too and I'd like to give a hand when I can.

Great work!!

-Pizzabill

Pizza Maker's Journal -
http://www.PizzaManiac.com/

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2005, 05:35:46 PM »
Steve, the site is looking very sharp! Great work. As for Google placement, there may be a few more things you can do. For what it's worth, out of all of your target phrases, "pizza recipes" definitely has the most demand. Here are the number of searches in January 2005 from overture:

1. pizza recipe (13,752 searches)
2. pizza making (716 searches)
3. pizza dough making (184 searches)

You can see the potential for growth here!

There are 3.9 Million results in Google for "pizza making" and 3.02 Million results for "pizza recipes". This means it should be reasonable to place for that phrase as well. I agree this would probably get a whole bunch of new members for the community.

Looking over the site briefly, there are a few simple things that could be done to make the spiders "see" that phrase a bit more. Some of the more simple optimization techniques seem to really work well in Yahoo! and the new MSN search. I won't go into depth too much, but here are some basic comments:

1. The home page looks great, but make better use of the old-school html tags like H1 and H2. These seem to really tell the spiders what the important phrases are on the site. Also in this line of thought, do your best to make the link phrases key words. In fact, just linking to other pages within the site from the inner pages could boost page rank of the pages being linked to. Consider a fixed navigation at the bottom of every page for the recipes that have made it to infamy.

Example:

<A HREF="http://www.pizzamaking.com/thincrust.php">Thin Crust Pizza Recipe</A> | <A HREF="http://www.pizzamaking.com/newyorkstyle.php">New York Style Pizza Recipe</A> | ...  etc.

2. Page file names are important nowadays.  Consider renaming files like "thincrust.php" to something more spider friendly, like "thin_crust_pizza_recipe.php".

3. I see that some attention has already been placed to TITLE tags and that's good. However, your META DESCRIPTION tags could be more like paragraphs with some key phrases. Some search engines use this as the information they display under your link in the serps so the more info the better.

4. The newer search engine algorithms really seem to favor dynamic pages. This site changes all the time, but you would never know that from the home page. Consider bringing some code to the home page which lists the most popular forum posts or the most recent. The spiders check the home page most often - if it hasn't changed, they sometimes stop there. This has benefits to real visitors too, of course.

5. Get your target phrases in the text content of the home page! I love the words on the home page, too, but "pizza" and "recipes" are not next to each other anywhere in it.

6. There are ways to get a boost in traffic besides search engines. Consider a mailing list (opt-in, of course) for some sort of newsletter. More exciting is the buzz about news feeds for sites with lots of content. You could build RSS into your site which allows people to be notified every time the site changes. I know I would sign up!

7. One more thing... encourage all your members to link to this site if they have a web site (especially if it involves "pizza" or "recipes") Links from the neighborhood can be very valuable for rankings.  Give us some graphics, or preferably some text links that we can copy and paste into our sites. Make sure your key phrases are involved!

There's probably more, but I don't want to bore everyone with too long of a post. I hope I've been a little helpful. I love this site too and I'd like to give a hand when I can.

Great work!!

-Pizzabill

I'm tweaking things almost daily now. A current Google search for "pizza recipes" puts the site rank at #26!!  :o :D 8)

A huge boo-boo on my part was moving the forum to a subdomain. That's fixed now. And the forum is now serving up "search engine friendly" URLs.

The forum currently supports RSS. I don't know enough about it yet, so I'll need some time to get up to speed.

Thank you for the suggestions!! Keep'em coming!!
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2005, 06:37:46 PM »
Steve, you're getting dangerous....and good at the same time.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2005, 06:47:37 PM »
Steve, you're getting dangerous....and good at the same time.

Just trying to increase our brain trust!!
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2005, 01:10:52 PM »
Made some more changes to the main menu.

Comments or suggestions, please.

http://www.pizzamaking.com

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2005, 01:16:55 PM »
I like it, Steve, in terms of the elements that are on the page.

One suggestion I'd make though is that there still seems to be a lot of "wasted" space.  For instance, on my monitor, I don't even see the four choice buttons unless I realize I can scroll down.

I think with some careful design and a little experimentation, you'd be able to incorporate all the elements of the main page (the banner, the pizza slices, the multicoloured "PIZZA!" logo, the intro text, the buttons, and the Google search bar at the bottom) into something that would fit on the first part of the page without forcing visitors to scroll--and it wouldn't be cluttered.

Dave

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2005, 01:20:20 PM »
Just to illustrate my previous post....here's a screenshot of how my screen looks at the front page:

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2005, 01:20:57 PM »
Dave, what screen resolution are you running? Even with mine set to 1024x768 everything shows up nicely.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2005, 01:22:04 PM »
I'm running 1024 x 768 too...but with large fonts.  It just seems to me that there's an awful lot of white space or wasted space.  Of course, if you're saying it looks fine on your screen, maybe it's just me :)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2005, 01:25:20 PM »
Here's my screen shot:

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2005, 01:27:41 PM »
Holy smokes....is that really 1024x768? :)  Maybe it's my Large Fonts setting.  I'll change it and have a looksee and report back.

Dave

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2005, 01:29:43 PM »
My screenshot above was at 1280x1024. This screenshot is at 1024x768 (normal fonts)

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2005, 01:33:33 PM »
Ah, yes, okay....that makes sense.  I just changed to 1024x768 and Normal fonts, and that's how it looks for me too.

I'd say you're probably best off designing it to look best on 1024x768, since most people will be running at that resolution or even 800x600.  And if that's the case, I still think you can rearrange things a bit to make them all fit easily on the top half without a scroll ;)

Dave

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2005, 01:34:41 PM »
Yes, you're probably right. ;) I'm spoiled by my 1280x1024 display.  :-\