Author Topic: Pizza 'allo strutto'  (Read 1512 times)

Infoodel

Pizza 'allo strutto'
« on: July 29, 2009, 07:39:17 PM »
http://www.flickr.com/photos/foolishpoolish/3769675211/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/foolishpoolish/3769652651/
This was an experiment I tried today. It's based around my take on 'lard bread' (like a casatiello without egg in the dough or baked eggs on top) but instead of working the salami and pancetta into the dough, I used them as pizza toppings.
It made for a very light, airy, bready pizza - kind of like a really puffy sicilian. Sadly, the toppings were way too salty and I made the mistake of using mozzarella di bufala (too watery!) - all of which detracted from an otherwise pleasant bread/pizza result. Still good eats though.
Biga
  • 300g flour*
  • 180g water
  • 1/32 tsp yeast
Mixed and left to rise at room temperature for 12 hours (corrected: I previously stated 14 but apparently I can't read a clock!)
Final Dough
  • All of biga
  • 200g flour*
  • 150g water
  • 12g salt
  • 2 tbsp milk powder
  • 1 tsp yeast
  • 25g lard melted.
  • 75g lard (softened)
Mixed biga (in pieces), flour, salt, milk powder, yeast, water, and melted lard into an even dough.
Using 'french fold', kneaded the dough to full gluten development (about 10 minutes).
Rested for 15 minutes.
Gradually kneaded in the remaining lard (softened) in the same way as one would make brioche (using french fold again).
Continued kneading until the dough passed windowpane test.
Fermentation for 2 hours (with one stretch and fold).
Turned out the dough on to a lightly floured surface and gently flattened/stretched the dough to roughly the size of the pan.
Placed dough in a greased (larded) pan and pushed towards the edges.
Applied a v. light layer of tomato over the top and allowed to proof for about 1 hour 20 mins.
Baked at 500F for 15 minutes (near heating element).
Applied toppings (salami, salami piccante, crisped pancetta, pancetta drippings, grated parmigiano reggiano, crushed SM toms, mozzarella)
Baked on a mid shelf for a further 10 minutes until the edges browned and the cheese was bubbling.
Removed from the oven and topped with further parmigiano and basil.
*Flour was a mix of 80% 00 (organic) flour and 20% canadian (high gluten) flour.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 11:32:16 PM by Infoodel »