Author Topic: Pizza stones... need help please  (Read 3083 times)

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Pizza stones... need help please
« on: October 04, 2003, 06:19:37 PM »
well I just typed a whole message and lost it because my image was 14k over the limit :-(

I typed a good post also - argh  :(

Do pizza stones really work ?  I bought a stone last year and it cracked on me
after only 2 uses, it was a very thin one and had a design on it - not a good move.....
I would like to know where to buy a "real" stone, like the ones they use on some of the TV cooking shows.... they are just thick slabs of stone and seem to work great....

How come I can't get a real pizza taste or texture to my pizza ?

darn, some of my questions, and I don't feel like typing for 20 mins again.

I have heard that some places use 7-UP or Sprite in their dough recipes !, has anyone
ever heard of this ?

Mark.
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Re:Pizza stones... need help please
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2003, 07:29:30 PM »
Same thing happened to me one time now I use Word and paste it.

Just about any cooking store will have a decent stone. They can also be found on the web.  I guess mine is about .

Now for the flavor in your dough.  The complex pizza taste comes from the cold retarded rise of the dough.  Most people let their dough rise over night in the refrigerator.  I like a longer time but to each his own.
Try some of the other threads for some good recipes.

Randy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2003, 09:19:38 AM »
Sorry about that!  :-\

I'll set the message size limit to 32 KB instead of the default 8 KB.  :)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2003, 09:23:35 AM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2003, 10:24:19 AM »
thanks Steve  ;D

Randy, thanks for the info, interesting stuff on leaving the dough overnight in the fridge, I guess this takes most of the yeast taste out of the dough ? .... I thought this would make the dough totally "dead" in terms of yeast activity, but I guess the temp in the fridge stops this from happening eh ? ....

I'll look around locally for a pizza stone tomorrow, I know if I order one on the net, it will most probabally end up here cracked in half with my luck.

Mark.

Here's another pizza I did last week, looks good, but lacks that real resturaunt taste,
and the texture is not right either  :(

( P.S. I better get in the habbit of typing my message and then copying it to my computer memory, I just typed this post 2 times, - I clicked on "Post" and it told me it was missing a subject.... I clicked "back" and low and behold all my text was gone  >:(    )

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2003, 10:38:01 AM »
( P.S. I better get in the habbit of typing my message and then copying it to my computer memory, I just typed this post 2 times, - I clicked on "Post" and it told me it was missing a subject.... I clicked "back" and low and behold all my text was gone  >:(    )

Yeah, some browsers have that problem... not sure why.

Here's how I get around that "bug"...

Type the message as you normally would. Then, just before you press the Post button, hit CTRL-A (to select all text) and then CTRL-C (to copy text). If you get an error and your text disappears, all you have to do is click in the Message box and press CTRL-V (paste text).  :)

I use this technique whenever I'm typing a long message in my browser... no matter what site I'm visiting... I've been bitten too many times myself!   >:(
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2003, 10:58:29 AM »
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the tip  ;D  I'm going to to that from now on hehe.

btw, thanks for the great site , it truly is amazing !

I used Google yesterday and came across it by accident, thank goodness !

Never knew there was a site like this ! ... I'm also an avid BBQ guy, and am on a few Q sites that help me use my Weber Smokey Mountain smoker - the best smoker in the world most say  ;D  but didn't know there was a site for making pizza ! - wowie I struck gold .

anyway thanks again for the tip , much appreciated.

Mark

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2003, 11:19:51 AM »
Funny that you should mention 'cue!

I'm trying to create a website like this one... only dedicated to barbecue!

(see www.pitcooking.com)

Anyway, haven't had any time to work on that site so it's sitting dormant at the moment (except for the discussion forum there).

It's funny how people who love pizza usually like barbecue too!  ;D

Lacness

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2003, 11:19:53 AM »
Mark,
       I use the 15" round 'Bread and Pizza Baking Stone' from Pampered
Chef.  You don't preheat the stone, just do the initial seasoning per their instructions.   I purchased mine with rack (to transfer from oven to table) at a local Pampered Chef party (kinda like a Tupperware Party) that my neighbor had.   They also have rectangular styles.  It works great, is well made & is also great for baking bread & buscuits.   Good Luck!  I saw them up for auction for $15 to $20 on ebay today.  Pampered Chef's number in Addison, is 708-261-8900 & their web site is www.pamperedchef.com.  They have alot of cook baking & cooking stuff that might interest you & others.  Gary

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
smokers, bbq, smoking etc.
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2003, 12:11:06 PM »
Funny that you should mention 'cue!

I'm trying to create a website like this one... only dedicated to barbecue!

Steve, you should try : http://www.barbecueforum.com  Rocky, the website is a nice
guy, and there are lots of great people there.

I like his forum, he has it set up in a nice way, he's got a recipe section that he posts recipes to on a regular basis, and others also, nothing else is allowed in that section, just recipes, so there's no searching around for them, also other parts of the forum are split up like you have it into different sections.

Anyway to see the stuff you need to sign up, but it's free, and you can learn a lot.

I am an amateur BBQ guy, but after reading around for about 2 months, I finally bit the bullet and bought the most popular smoker in the United States, it's made by Weber and it's called the Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker or WSM for short .... there is a huge following for this smoker, and you will soon find out why.... this smoker is so accurate at keeping meats at the perfect temperature, and on a single batch of charcoal you can keep the smoker going up to about 10-12 hours - no joke.  The thing is very airtight, because of how well it is made .... I was pulled in by all the people using, and finally ordered one ... well, my first batch of ribs were amazing, totally knocked me out.... I'm an amateur from Canada and made championship quality ribs on the first shot... it blew me away.

Try : http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ for the official Weber Smokey Mountain smoker site, - 99.9% of people use this amazing smoker.... they have a forum that is pretty heavy on posts as there are so many people, it's impossible to keep up hehe.
From his site you click on forums to check out forum activity, direct link is here:
http://tvwbb.101inc.com/

Check out Rocky's forum up above though also, a great site for BBQing for everyone, so you are not left in the dark if you don't own a Weber smoker, Rocky's site is a site for everybody who loves any type of BBQ.

Full Set Of Images:
------------------------
If you wish to see what I did on my 2nd smoke session, check out my full series of images
here: http://pages.infinit.net/logopro/index.html

Mark.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2003, 06:15:49 PM »
How interesting that those pasionate about pizza feel the same about Barbecue.
Can't get enough of either one.
Randy

pizzapan