Author Topic: Cheese on a Deep Dish..  (Read 4235 times)

Offline Witt

• Former Chicago Resident
Cheese on a Deep Dish..
« on: July 31, 2009, 10:47:08 AM »
I wanted to spitball and get some general thoughts on what type of cheese people are using..and how much..on the average 14inch.
I've typically used 16oz of cheese..sometimes as little as 12oz on this size pie.  Mozz slices melt into the crust and pizza much better than shredded cheese..from my experience.  My best results are from 1 package of slices (8 oz), low moisture skim....and then 8 oz of regular mozz (not the skim type), sliced onto the top of the first layer (the skim)....16oz in total. 

That said, I sometimes have challenges getting the cheese to melt to my liking, without running the risk of overcooking the crust (bottom).  Surely I can move the pan off the bottom rack....but I wanted to get some thoughts on cheese....and quantity.

(I use 8oz for a 9-10inch pie)

I've made probably 200 deep dish pies..most from the recipes on this site....thanks for any thoughts..

Offline Mad_Ernie

Re: Cheese on a Deep Dish..
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 05:24:14 PM »
Witt:

Since no one has answered yet, I'll go ahead and chime in.  I don't typically measure how much cheese or sauce I put on a pizza.  I go strictly by look.  I use block part-skim milk mozzarella, sliced, to cover the bottom of the crust and then I add slices of provolone, so it is about a 2:1 ratio of mozz to prov. 

Just so you know, my normal deep dish pizza is a 14-inch.  I use a slightly modified BTB recipe with 80% AP flour and 20% semolina.

When I finish putting the sauce on top, I sprinkle it with freshly shredded parmasean cheese.

That's it.  Period.

That may not be much help, but it's all I got. :chef:

-ME
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 09:17:21 PM by Mad_Ernie »
Let them eat pizza.

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 08:46:03 PM »
Others have previously posted that sliced is much better than shredded for deep dish, as the cheese acts as a moisture barrier between the toppings and the crust.
Low moisture part skim should be the main cheese if you use more than one. If you use a cheese with a lot of moisture (like fresh buffalo mozzarella), you might end up with a giant puddle in your pizza.

On a 14 inch pie, I've found that about one pound (16 oz) of sliced low-moisture part skim mozzarella will sufficiently cover the bottom and give you a decent amount of cheese. You want to overlap the slices a bit as you go around the pie and then fill in any gaps with any remaining slices.

I also make 12 inch pies and have used 8 oz of sliced mozzarella.

I usually use the Stella brand from my grocery store deli,
but I've also had good results with my grocery store brand pre-packaged in 8 oz packs from Jewel (aka Albertsons).

I wanted to spitball and get some general thoughts on what type of cheese people are using..and how much..on the average 14inch.
I've typically used 16oz of cheese..sometimes as little as 12oz on this size pie.  Mozz slices melt into the crust and pizza much better than shredded cheese..from my experience.  My best results are from 1 package of slices (8 oz), low moisture skim....and then 8 oz of regular mozz (not the skim type), sliced onto the top of the first layer (the skim)....16oz in total. 

That said, I sometimes have challenges getting the cheese to melt to my liking, without running the risk of overcooking the crust (bottom).  Surely I can move the pan off the bottom rack....but I wanted to get some thoughts on cheese....and quantity.

(I use 8oz for a 9-10inch pie)

I've made probably 200 deep dish pies..most from the recipes on this site....thanks for any thoughts..
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
Re: Cheese on a Deep Dish - Battaglia?
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 02:46:28 PM »
I was reading another thread where someone mentioned Battaglia brand mozzarella and I had never used it before.
Has anyone used this for deep dish?

I found one supplier in Chicago on Lawrence, just west of Western Avenue.

http://www.harvestimefoods.com/special/deli/mozzarella-cheese-battaglia

Offline BBH

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 04:33:21 PM »
You can go directly to Battaglia at 2500 S Ashland to get it.  Call 312-738-1111 to order then pick up.  They do not make their own cheese but deliver it by the truckloads weekly across Chicago.  I am not sure if the Battaglia brand is sold or not you might have to call, but they do have a premium brand called Fillippo Mazzei which is an excellent product.  They order  truck loads per week from the Agropur Luxemburg facility in Wisconsin.  This is the US and World Mozz champion Roger Krohn's Dairy before being purchased by Agropur.  Roger is still there and it's his Mozz still.  So, you can get the US and World champion Mozz under that brand.  The label on the cheese has to be from plant #550642 - that's Rogers.  This is bar far the best Mozz cheese available (IMHO) and I've been through so many I can't even count anymore....

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 04:44:47 PM »
You can go directly to Battaglia at 2500 S Ashland to get it.  Call 312-738-1111 to order then pick up.  They do not make their own cheese but deliver it by the truckloads weekly across Chicago.  I am not sure if the Battaglia brand is sold or not you might have to call, but they do have a premium brand called Fillippo Mazzei which is an excellent product.  They order  truck loads per week from the Agropur Luxemburg facility in Wisconsin.  This is the US and World Mozz champion Roger Krohn's Dairy before being purchased by Agropur.  Roger is still there and it's his Mozz still.  So, you can get the US and World champion Mozz under that brand.  The label on the cheese has to be from plant #550642 - that's Rogers.  This is bar far the best Mozz cheese available (IMHO) and I've been through so many I can't even count anymore....
So can I get this mail order BBH; thanks!
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline BTB

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 08:22:11 AM »
My rule of thumb is like most of the deep dish pizzerias.  I put enough slices of good mozzarella to cover the bottom of the pizza crust . . . and most importantly . . . then add some more!  I guess the weights that others are mentioning here are somewhat accurate, but I rarely weigh the cheese.  If it looks right, its right, . . . right?  LOL.

When I've watched pizzas being made at Malnati's and original Uno's/Due's, I've never, ever seen them weigh or count the cheese slices.  Ditto when I watched them make pizzas at Giordano's where they use shredded cheese instead. They just grab up a bunch of cheese with both hands and set it into the deep dish pan and say if it looks good, it's good to bake.

A readily available brand of good cheese from many grocery stores IMO is Sorrento's (NOT Sargento's) Whole Milk block of cheese that you have to slice yourself.  It was either America's Test Kitchen or Cook's Country (I don't recall which) that recently gave the whole milk Sorrento's brand their number one choice of the various mozzarella brands.  My family and I agree and love it.  It is really good mozzarella cheese.  But to each his own.

--BTB              8)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 09:36:03 AM by BTB »

Offline mugwump

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 01:21:57 PM »
I tend to avoid the expensive Polly-O that is so popular in some of the threads around here.  The minimal taste may be fine in a thin pizza that has minimal crust and sauce, but in a deep dish it is truly invisible.

Lately I've been buying the supermarket brand Frigo out of Lincolnshire, Illinois.  It is actually the US version of the very popular New York pizzeria cheese Saputo, but with slightly less sodium.  Melts great, has a buttery taste with a salty ending that's good with deep dish.  It's very firm so the slicing takes a bit of effort.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 02:18:29 PM by mugwump »

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 03:16:39 PM »
I had mentioned this in another thread, Frigo and Dragone mozzarellas, both products of Saputo Cheese Co., are very nice cheeses, especially if you like your mozz a little firmer than most. I find it is very easy to grate, and they both are pretty  tasty cheeses.
Stella, from the same cheese maker is very much the same also.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 03:18:16 PM »
I have to question your use of Contadina crushed tomatoes however! :o

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 03:35:29 PM »
I have to question your use of Contadina crushed tomatoes however! :o
I'll betcha he says his Walmart was out of the crushed and the whole pear's were all that was left.  ;D

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 03:39:48 PM »
I'll betcha he says his Walmart was out of the crushed and the whole pear's were all that was left.  ;D

Walmart's own brand (Great Value) are way better than Contadina, IMHO! Cheaper too. ;)

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 03:43:41 PM »
'tow-maters' is a different thread, gentlemen.  :chef:  :D  :pizza: :drool:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20013.msg197746.html

Weez talkin' CHEEZ!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 03:52:52 PM by vcb »

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 04:16:38 PM »
OK, back to cheese. I'd love to have access to that Battaglia cheese, but I don't . One thing I'm a little puzzled about, why is it "part skim". Most premium mozzarellas are whole milk, part skim is always a turn off to me when considering a mozzarella purchase, it always burns while cooking. Of course, in a deep dish pie that isn't an issue since the cheese is under the sauce. ???

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 05:11:59 PM »
OK, back to cheese. I'd love to have access to that Battaglia cheese, but I don't . One thing I'm a little puzzled about, why is it "part skim". Most premium mozzarellas are whole milk, part skim is always a turn off to me when considering a mozzarella purchase, it always burns while cooking. Of course, in a deep dish pie that isn't an issue since the cheese is under the sauce. ???
Probably because it's a Chicago cheese; no?
LM/PS is what the thin crust joints use.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 05:32:32 PM »
So you're saying Chicago cheaps out on their cheese. Part skim means some of the milk fat has been removed. The milk fat is what gives mozzarella it's rich creamy qualities. Remove the fat and it's not the same! >:D

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 06:05:15 PM »
So you're saying Chicago cheaps out on their cheese. Part skim means some of the milk fat has been removed. The milk fat is what gives mozzarella it's rich creamy qualities. Remove the fat and it's not the same! >:D

Milk fat also adds to the grease puddle in your deep-dish, so it's not really that simple.
Fat is flavor, so I think that's the main reason people choose whole milk over part skim.

I like using part-skim because it is higher in protein, which should give the cheese better stretch.

Also, time and temperature, as well as how the cheese proteins were made (rennet vs acid, etc.) can make a difference in how melty/stretchy the cheese gets.

Check out this cool side by side comparison of low-moisture whole milk vs low-moisture part skim:
http://skipthepie.org/dairy-and-egg-products/cheese-mozzarella-whole-milk-low-moisture/compared-to/cheese-mozzarella-part-skim-milk-low-moisture/

the basics for 100g of low moisture mozzarella cheese:
Whole Milk FAT: 25g
Low-Moisture FAT: 20g

Whole Milk PROTEIN: 21.6g
Low-Moisture PROTEIN: 26g

Whole Milk CARBS: 2.47g
Low-Moisture CARBS: 3.83g

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 06:13:08 PM »
You are exactly correct sir!  It doesn't drip orange colored grease down your arm while you are holding a square piece and enjoying the hell outta it!!  >:D

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 07:38:38 PM »
Like i said, the cheese under the sauce changes the equation, but when part skim is used on top it burns and has the consistency of melted plastic. I've never noticed part skim to have any stringy/stretchy quality to it what so ever. I guess the NY style vs. Chicago DD battle rages on, but I can't put any faith in the findings from an organization called "Skip the Pie"! :-D :-D :-D

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 07:46:18 PM »
Like i said, the cheese under the sauce changes the equation, but when part skim is used on top it burns and has the consistency of melted plastic. I've never noticed part skim to have any stringy/stretchy quality to it what so ever. I guess the NY style vs. Chicago DD battle rages on, but I can't put any faith in the findings from an organization called "Skip the Pie"! :-D :-D :-D
Oooops  :-[  sorry man, I got so involved here I reverted/started talking about my Chi-thins!  :-D
I use whole milk and provo-baloney slices on my Deep Dish...never have an oil slick in the bottom. It can get a bit watery on you though if you got jank cheese.  :chef: