Author Topic: problem with dough  (Read 852 times)

Offline pedo46

problem with dough
« on: August 02, 2009, 08:47:06 PM »
hi, so that when i finish the dough and spends the time of rest, the dough continues even growing in the refrigerator.  
      2 ts sugar
  1 1/4 ts salt
      2 tb olive oil
      2 tb cornmeal
   3 c  unbleached all purpose flour
      1/4 ts garlic powder
    1/4 ts onion powder
   1 1/3 c water
  1 1/2 ts instant yeast

or.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: problem with dough
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 08:58:43 PM »
pedo46,

Is the water warm, at room temperature, or cold? Are you making the dough in a machine or by hand? What is the room temperature? How long is the rest period?

What is the problem you have been having, and how has it affected the crust?

Peter

Offline pedo46

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 09:28:45 PM »
is destilled water at room temperature about 80-85g f or more i live in hot place. i use the dough machine and rest period its aprox. 1 hour and make aprx 25 lb flour  thanks peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 10:05:39 PM »
pedo46,

From your poll statements, it appears that the problem you have been having with your dough is that it rises too fast and keeps rising while the dough balls are in the refrigerator or cooler.

I believe the problem is mainly temperature but you are also using a lot of yeast. Because of your very warm room temperature, you might try using cold water and less yeast (you might try about half the amount of yeast you used). You should work fast in making the dough and also be sure to divide the bulk dough into individual dough balls before refrigerating them. Because of your one-hour rest period at 80-85 degrees F, you may find that you have to use ice cold water in order to keep the dough temperature down. Even then, the dough may end up too warm because a dough held at a room temperature of 80-85 degrees F for an hour will approach that temperature quite quickly. You may eventually find that you may have to shorten the rest period.

I'd also like to suggest that you not use distilled water. Distilled water has all of the minerals and other nutrients removed during the distillation process. Those minerals and nutrients are beneficial to the yeast and improves its performance. You should be able to use tap water (assuming it is of good quality) or bottled water.

Please let me know what you decide to do and what results you get. There are several possible solutions, so if some things don't work we should be able to try something else.

Peter

Offline pedo46

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 10:13:13 PM »
thanks for all peter

pizzapan