Author Topic: Ground tomato options/excess  (Read 1346 times)

Offline UnConundrum

Ground tomato options/excess
« on: August 02, 2009, 08:59:36 AM »
For the past several years I've been using Tuttorosso Blue Label ground tomatoes, but they seem to have disappeared from the shelves.  I can still get Muir Glenn 28oz ground or I can step up to 7-11 or 6in1 in #10 cans.  That brings up two questions.  First, is there much difference between 7-11 and 6in1?  I've used 7-11 for my cooked tomato sauce for years but never tried 6in1.  I know 6in1 is a fav here;  better for pizza than 7-11?

Second, there's no way I'd use a #10 can...  in a month.  Actually, a 28 oz can usually lasts me two pizza sessions.  Freezing obviously comes to mind (I did see THIS POST .  I do have a pretty good vacuum system at my disposal and could make my own 28 oz pouches and freeze them.  Or, once in a vacuum pouch, things tend to last much longer in the fridge.  Or, are there any other ideas?  Also, would you freeze/store just the ground tomatoes, or would you make the sauce and then store that?

Offline Art

• la pizza la mia vita!!
Re: Ground tomato options/excess
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 09:56:51 AM »
I'm one of the 6in1 lovers and I buy them online through the Escalon website. For (6) 28 oz. cans including shipping ($1.50), I pay $16.50. I think $2.75 per can is very reasonable plus it's delivered to my door. Dealing with #10 cans sounds like a hassle.

https://www.escalon.net/shop.aspx
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Ground tomato options/excess
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 07:01:14 PM »
the 6 in 1's and the Stanislaus versions (tomato magic and 7/11) are very similar, but I do prefer the 6 in 1's.    If you can deal with not spicing your tomatoes at all, you can store them for up to a month in the fridge if you vaccum seal them, or 2 weeks if you don't.   Just pull out enough to use for the day and spice that.     I hate thawed tomatoes no matter what anybody says.   good luck art!

pizzapan