Author Topic: stainless steel pots and pans opinions  (Read 1184 times)

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
stainless steel pots and pans opinions
« on: August 02, 2009, 01:04:11 PM »
Hey all,  I know this might not be the most relevant question for our pizza site,  but I trust the opinions of our members so I figured why not ask.  I am looking to piecemeal together some real nice stainless cookware  that is a) not nonstick b) that will last a lifetime and c) not going to break the bank that bad,  I don't mind dropping some money for good stuff.  Just looking for opinions both good and bad.  It never hurts to know what to stay away from either.  Thanks a lot.  -marc

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: stainless steel pots and pans opinions
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 09:17:44 PM »
Marc,
Very Very Happy with my All Clad! years and years of use and abuse still holding up great! Probably a lot of opinion on this topic and some good info forthcoming. :)
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline anton-luigi

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 09:30:52 PM »
I have a set of Emerilware stainless,  very impressed with them,  and they were very reasonable.  Last a lifetime???  hmmm, not sure, only time will tell.

Offline pacoast

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 04:12:32 AM »
Piecemeal is not a dirty word. Buying a set often means ending up with some sizes that don't get used much and just collect dust. Usually the smaller pieces. Unless it's really important to you to have an aesthetically identical set, it's probably better to buy the pieces (sizes) you use most & pay for quality construction. It's still possible to find deals if you look around. Quality tools, cookware or otherwise are a pleasure to use & will last a long time with modest care. Well made stainless can last a lifetime, with the likely exception of the handles. A heavy metal handle might outlive you, but the more common resin/bakelite/plastic ones often start to crack and break after 10-15-20 years. Other than the handles, I have stainless pieces that are >20 years old & still going strong.

Still that doesn't mean that stainless is necessarily the best choice for all of your pieces. Does your wife have strong preferences? What does she like to cook with, treasure & hate? Tastes do vary. For myself I hate Pyrex (glass) pots & bakeware, aluminum & stamped steel. I'm not overly fond of teflon either, but grudgingly admit it's useful for a few special purpose dishes. The majority of my cookware is stainless & for general purpose use, it is durable & has few drawbacks. The main one IMO is that stainless doesn't heat evenly, so you will often see it clad with other metals. It's not a big issue with most tasks, but there is some tendency towards hot spots, so you might burn a sauce if you aren't careful. So I prefer copper (expensive, hard to clean) for say, a Bolognese reduction. And cast iron for yet another task. Most will agree that quality construction is desirable & that is about where the consensus on what is best ends.

I'd say that stainless-clad i.e. quality stainless is a good bet for those who want quality pieces but don't obsess over subtle distinctions. However if she already has strong opinions about her cookware or you know her to be fussy, discerning or obsessive in general, then perhaps you solicit her opinions before buying anything. In any event, what materials make for the best cookware is a theme that shows up regularly in forums like egullet, chowhound, cheftalk, etc if you want to read more opinions.