Author Topic: An orange hue has appeared on the underside of my wood fired pizzas??  (Read 1224 times)

Offline doughslinger

Can anyone with wood fired Neapolitan pizza experience explain why a distinctive orange color has developed on the underside of my pizzas?  The oven dome is 900 with an oven floor of 675-700 and my bake time is just under 2 minutes.  Everything about the pizza tastes the same so this unnatural color change doesn't seem to have negative taste issues.

I remember Enzo my trainer in Napoli mentioning the problem buy my notes have failed me and I can't remember what he said caused the problem. 

The flour is ConAgra Occidental with a 62% hydration and 24hr cold fermentation.

Thanks

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
never seen this happen before  ???
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline s00da

I baked a pizza that had an orange bottom also just a couple of days ago but there were too many changed variables in my case:

1- I baked on a lower that the usual oven floor. I usually start baking at 800-850 and I got the orange color baking at 700.
2- I was using a strangely bright red sauce on the pizza.
3- I stretched the dough ball too thin.

Pick one  ;D

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
I've seen that from Neapolitan formulations cooked too long at too cool temps.  I would up the floor temp to 750-800 and shorten the bake time.

Offline s00da

So I guess that would be an over development of the amber color of the authentic Neapolitan pizza

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
Without more information that would be my guess.  The hard, dry, crusty mottled look also suggests that.  Usually the color I observe is more yellow than orange but this offbeat flour may come from a different strain of wheat or the like.

Offline artigiano

Re: An orange hue has appeared on the underside of my wood fired pizzas??
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 11:26:34 AM »
seems like some kind of oil was in the dough