Author Topic: post from you tube on dough  (Read 1920 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
post from you tube on dough
« on: August 03, 2009, 10:29:10 AM »
  Found a good dough how to from jonathan goldsmith of spacca napoli .i think it is hepfull
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv9tYufQ3MY" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv9tYufQ3MY</a>

Infoodel

Re: post from you tube on dough
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 01:39:35 PM »
Thanks zaman that was an interesting video.
Cool to see the traditional hand kneading technique.
I think I followed all of it up until the point where he said "not pushing against it because that will make it chewy" - I'm not sure what that means...
FP

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 09:47:30 PM »
any feedback on the content would be helpful .

Offline s00da

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 03:22:56 AM »
It's a nice video but for some people on this forum, it's more like targetting the general public. The information shown covers the basic concepts that many already know here. There was nothing that I would consider a secret of the trade except for the part Infoodel already pointed out and he's right, it is something very vague to say without elaboration but at the end, the video showcases the basics of the tradition.

Offline bicster

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 06:47:43 PM »
any idea where to get a mixing bowl like the one in the video?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 07:39:14 PM »
There is more on Spacca Napoli at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3522.msg29736.html#msg29736, including a brief video of the Spacca Napoli diving arm mixer at Reply 15 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3522.msg29850.html#msg29850.

Peter

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 07:52:21 PM »
any one interested in purchasing restaurant products, try central restaurant products 1800 222 5107 . they will service  private individuals . ask for greg seigel ext 8294 he will send a catalog .the mixing bowl that they use is on page 138 of the current catalog.a 13 qt heavy duty is 42.50 ,an economy thickness is 9.73. there catalog is full of everything a pizza maker would want .

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning

Offline artigiano

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 11:24:35 PM »
nice post!  I have been having trouble with my dough being chewier than I would like on occasiosn.  His last piece of advice and I would love to know more about.. is the shaping of the dough balls at the end.  He says dont push too much or it will make it chewy.  I can figure out what has been giving me a chewier crust than I would like and my hadling might be part of the problem.  Does anyone else have this problem?  I also find my pizza gets far too chewy after its been refigerated for a while and am wondering how to avoid that too.

thanks,
al

Offline s00da

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 02:00:32 AM »
nice post!  I have been having trouble with my dough being chewier than I would like on occasiosn.  His last piece of advice and I would love to know more about.. is the shaping of the dough balls at the end.  He says dont push too much or it will make it chewy.  I can figure out what has been giving me a chewier crust than I would like and my hadling might be part of the problem.  Does anyone else have this problem?  I also find my pizza gets far too chewy after its been refigerated for a while and am wondering how to avoid that too.

thanks,
al

If you consider the dough to consist of simply flour/water/salt/yeast then IMO, when a crust is too chewy, it's always good to start by troubleshooting your mixing and fermentation procedures. Can your dough ball stretch by gravity pulling on it only? I'm not sure I've heard before that shaping pizza in a specific way could lead to a chewy crust. Of course, if you're making Neapolitan pizza then you need to make sure your oven floor is 800 minimum to avoid drying the crust and leading to a chewy/leathery crust.

Offline artigiano

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 07:05:37 PM »
The oven is around 800 - 900 usually and I use caputo with water, salt and camoldoli.  I am still trying to figure out what the problem is.  When I stretch the dough I usually gently press it flat and then let gravity do most of the work as I turn it in my hands.  I though maybe it was just too dense due to a higher hydration, I was using close to 65%.  I always have had the issue somewhat, but mostly after the pizzas were put in the fridge if they weren't all finished.  My grandmother told me I was using too much water when I make bread and pizza and that is the reason they are not lighter than I would like.  They always have nice holes and air pockets just a little too chewy.

al
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 07:08:54 PM by artigiano »

pizzapan