Author Topic: @Pete-zza: Pizza Dough Under-Kneading  (Read 14050 times)

Offline s00da

Re: @Pete-zza: Pizza Dough Under-Kneading
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2009, 12:58:45 PM »
Thank you for the feedback.

You are correct regarding the fermentation that it will help to develop a suitable dough to use for pizza. Which means that for each of the three doughs, a different fermentation time, temperature could have been used to make the doughs achieve similar results at the end. But then we must also consider the possible implications that could come along with the different fermentation procedures. Let's consider Dough #3 as you suggested; while I don't understand the effects of the extra oxidation this dough already received, but from what I read it is supposed to lower the qualities of the finished product. Also, while you suggest extra fermentation as a possible way to improve Dough #3, let's not forget about the effect of the protease enzyme, specially where the gluten matrix is more likely to have been damaged since it reached the peak of development.

By the way Pete, I didn't use my high temp. gas oven for this experiment. I actually used my electric oven here.

Now if we set fermentation aside and evaluate the outcome of this experiment, I think that the conclusion should be more focused on the effects of kneading time on the dough development. Looking at it this way, I think it is very safe to say that the "slightly underkneaded" dough will develop a better crust, crumb, flavor and handling properties at a faster rate provided all other variables being constant.

Saad
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 01:01:04 PM by s00da »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2009, 01:21:57 PM »
Saad,

Thanks for the clarification on the oven used. When you mentioned that you placed the stone on the oven floor, I thought you were using a gas oven.

You are correct about the possible effects of protease enzymes on the gluten structure. When I posted my results, I noted that effect with my overkneaded dough. I suspected that there was gluten degradation because of all of the fermentation bubbles at the bottom of the storage container, which typically accompany an overproofed dough with gluten damage.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 02:27:26 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline s00da

« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2009, 02:24:18 PM »
While I'm sure our experiments aren't enough to make a definite guide line for dough kneading recommendation, I believe they will aid the more dedicated of us to pay more attention to the dough characteristics and fine-tune the mixing procedures we use. For myself, I think that every now and then, I will throw a little twist to mixing/kneading when making my favorite recipes and see how that effects the outcome.

Now I think I should go back and start making my 18" NYs since I got some bread flour  :-D and when I think about it, I have some feeling now that I've been over-kneading the dough so I guess I will start there.

Saad
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 02:26:04 PM by s00da »

pizzapan