Author Topic: New Pizza Maker from Pa.  (Read 4931 times)

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
New Pizza Maker from Pa.
« on: August 04, 2009, 05:30:16 PM »
Hi folks, I'm Ev. I've recently started making pizza at home and have enjoyed the results very much. There looks to be a wealth of info here, and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and participating in the forums.
 I also have been making my own mozzarella as well as homebrewing beer and wine.
 I tried to include some photos, but was told my files are too large. I guess I'll have to work on that, some.
How come photobucket won't work here?

Offline UnConundrum

Re: New Pizza Maker from Pa.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 05:47:07 PM »
Where in PA are you from?  I'm SW of Allentown, NW of Philadelphia....

Offline Bob1

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 06:07:41 PM »
Hi uncon,
I'm from the Lansdale area, you must be close to me.

Bob1

Offline UnConundrum

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 06:18:34 PM »
Yep, a little town called Bechtelsville.  Out 63 to Green Lane, out 29 to 100, and I'm south a bit on 100.  A buddy of mine from Lansdale and I took a trip out to Restaurant Depot in Manayunk this past weekend.  They carry 6in1 and 7/11 but only in #10 cans.  Saw All Trumps there too, but only the bromated.  I was disappointed they don't carry Grande cheese, but they have Polly-O.

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 06:47:21 PM »
Hello

Another Pizza maker here from Pa.

Cochranville area.

What types of pizza are you making?

Offline Bob1

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 07:43:32 PM »
I'm just a novice but I have been making pies for about 16 years.  I have experimented with NY, American, and Neapolitan in a 525 deg oven.  I have a green egg and plan on doing some high temp Neapolitan in the future.  I am also contemplating a black egg, since I have most of the parts.  The problem is finding the time.  I will have to check out the place in Manyunk.  I usually go to Bova in Chalfont (Just outside of Lansdale).  They have the 6 in 1 in the 28 0z and the 6lb 9 oz cans.  I usually stock a case of both for different uses.  They do sell it by the can but it costs a little more.  They also have Grande by the case or by the bag.  A 5 lb bag is about $18 bucks.
I used to get the high gluten years ago but now I use KAB or an off brand 00 that Bova sells.  I also get a box of their 10 lb chipsteak meat which is great for strombolis. I put on about 10lbs in the last three months.

Bob1

Offline Kemosa

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 08:03:27 PM »
You will find all the Grande products at Bova.  I've tried all but the 50/50 Blend which I intend to pick up a case in the near future.  They're selling Grande at about $2.20 lb.  I'm right off rt. 100 near Macungie.  My wife is from Lansdale and her sister lives in Barto, so I can relate to both you guys.

Just recently purchased a 2-stone, which is awesome.  I'm the neighborhood Pizziaola!

Offline Bob1

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 08:10:50 PM »
Kemosa,
Have you ever tried the Bova Cuccina San Marzano whole tomatoes, in puree, with basil, in the 6lb can?  I found it to be pretty good.
I was asking Frank about the San Marzano products and he recommended it.  You can't go wrong for 8 bucks.

Bob1

Offline UnConundrum

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 08:54:02 PM »
I never heard of Bova before a few days ago;  need to plan a trip in the near future.... maybe tomorrow... need to get away ;)

I started out on a BGE too, and actually compete a bit.  A few weeks ago, we built a wood fired oven, and I've been going nuts with it since.  Have a dough fermenting now ;)

I was raised in Pottstown, moved to Boyertown area, and then to a few miles off the road above Bally.  Actually owned an Italian restaurant in the 80's but we had a pizza man then.  Cooking remains my hobby.  Kemosa, you're close enough we should hook up.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 09:30:19 PM »
Ucon,
Have popsted any pics of your new oven??
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline UnConundrum

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 09:32:55 PM »
Construction pictures are HERE .  The fellow in the pictures is a cousin who came up to help with the construction.  There's s couple shots of pizzas too :)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 09:51:34 PM »
Very COOL!! I have heard of walk in coolers but walk in Pizza oven.  :-D :-D
Boy that  bldg. worked out great its beautiful! similar outside to my pensy fieldstone look I did. Youhave the real deal solid fire brick must hold heat really well  you planning on breads with that? I would imagine. and 1 million other things with the residual heat.
Great job!! ENJOY
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 07:57:57 AM »
WOW

Talk about thermal mass.  Awesome job.

That will be hot for days!

Offline Cass

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 08:23:32 AM »
Where in PA are you from?  I'm SW of Allentown, NW of Philadelphia....
I am just east of Pittsburgh.      :)
If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.
Epictetus

Offline Giacomo

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 04:32:32 PM »
 Hi....I'm new to the forum but I've been in PA for a LONG time. I'm in the Philly suburbs.....
        near Valley Forge. Lotta great pizza in these parts.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 04:58:39 PM »
I'm in Lancaster County, near Ephrata.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 04:59:52 PM »
Giacomo,
I grew up in Worcester and went to Visitation B V M.  Remember Perroto's before it changed hands?  It was different and I really liked it.  How about the tomato pie at Corpolese?  I would love to copy both.

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 05:10:08 PM »
I did not realize there were so many home Pizzaiolos in my area!!!

We need some get togethers!!

Offline Giacomo

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 05:34:26 PM »
Bob1

Wow....I'm real close to Visitation and occasionally attend there on Sundays...a good friend of mine is a soloist
    in the choir.

Perroto's.....God....my first date with my wife ended at Perroto's for..what else...pizza!  It's now called  Nipper's
    and while not specifically a pizzeria they do make a decent pie. I LOVE Corropolese's pizza/tomato pie. We're lucky
    in that we have 3 or 4 Italian bakeries in this area turning out great sheets of sweet sauced goodness. When I dont
    feel like making dough I'll stop at Corropolese ....they sell a great pizza dough for 1.25 a piece....perfect for a 12 " or
     14" pie.

Giacomo

Offline Giacomo

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 05:44:13 PM »
 Ev

Lancaster County is one of my favorite places. We go out that way often. Though its been quite a while
    I have visited the cloisters several times. 

Ever been to Shady Maple, just off of RT 23??? Its my favorite pig out place of all time.

Giacomo