Author Topic: New Pizza Maker from Pa.  (Read 5383 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: New Pizza Maker from Pa.
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2009, 08:15:51 AM »
Ev.
Sorry forgot to mention, I have a stand at Root's market now making pizza.  Just started in April.  I would love to try and make mozzarella.  Do you have any problems making the mozzarella?  Sound great!
Norma

Offline UnConundrum

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2009, 08:50:12 AM »
Norma, where is Root's market?  That's one I've never visited.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2009, 09:05:31 AM »
UnConudrum,
Root's Market is near Manheim, Pa.  Look under www.rootsmarket.com and you can get directions and see the market. 
Norma

Offline Kemosa

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2009, 06:53:48 PM »
Bob1- I have not yet dabbled with San Marzanos.  I pretty much stick to my 6 in 1 AP ground tomatoes, boat motor them, basil, oregano, granulated garlic, salt, pepper, sugar and a splash of wine vinegar.  Frank (at Bova) is a really nice man.  I feel fortunate that we can get a lot of the products at a good price.  Many here on the forum pay crazy shipping prices to get the goods.

UnCon-  That's cool your had your own shop.  Next time we have a neighborhood pizza party I'll throw you a PM.  Having a blast firing up my 2 stone at 650-700 deg.  Making between NY very thin to Neo pie.

Norma- Hope your stand is going well.  Will check you out if ever out that way.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2009, 01:29:59 PM »
Just an FYI for the PA people.  Corropolese Italian bakery and deli from Norristown also have a shop in Royersford and Douglasville.  If anyone tries the red tomato pie let me know what you think.  I stopped at Royersford today and found the same quality that the Norristown store has.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2009, 08:14:07 PM »
Norma,

I'll stop out and meet you sometime.

I make the quick microwave mozz. for now. It comes out a little different each time for some reason,(probably temp control while the curd is forming) but it's always pretty good.
 I haven't tried the "high end" cheeses I've been reading about here yet. What kind do you use?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2009, 08:56:10 AM »
Ev,
When you get time, stop to meet me.  That would be nice. 
Your mozzarella sounds good.  I haven't gotten around to trying to make fresh mozzarella.  Hopefully some day I will get to try.  I use Grande cheese.
Norma

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2009, 08:05:12 PM »
Norma,

Perhaps you can save me some hunting. Do you know any reasonably local outlets for fairly small quantities of Grande and/or 6in1? Or acceptable substitutes?

Offline UnConundrum

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2009, 08:30:10 PM »
Ev, only place I know of is Bova, which would be a hike for you.  The commercial end of Salino's in Reading carries 6in1 and 7/11 in #10 cans, and there's a Grande supplier too, but they only sell by the case.  Might be someone in Lancaster, but that's out of my travel area.  I have some 28 oz cans of 6in1 coming in from ESCALON .  You could order your own, or I could bring some to Reading late next week if you'd like to meet.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2009, 09:41:59 PM »
Ev,
I get my grande cheese from my local pizza man. I get it a case at a time. in a loaf.  I could sell you a loaf if you want. It is not shredded.  I shred it the day before Root's. It is running about 18.00 now.  I would have to check.  I also get 7/11 ground tomatoes and Saporito pizza sauce with basil, which I mix both together and then add other ingredients.  They are in a
6 lb 9oz cans.  I have to look what I pay for them.  The pizza sauce is about 27.00 for a case of 6 cans.  The 7/11 is about 30.00 for a case of 6 cans.  Let me know if you can use cans of that size or a loaf of grande cheese.
Norma

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2009, 11:47:38 PM »
Yeaaaaa are to kind to the people on here lol
When I was buying the WM or East Coast Blend by the case(Diced}
I used to give a few bags to my friends for free since it was only
around $13 per 5lb bag.....

You are being very kind to the folks that don't want to buy a case........JT

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2009, 08:06:16 PM »
Wow! You guys are awesome to offer up the help like that. I'm super busy this week and away the next but I may well take you up on that in a couple weeks.
I have an inquiry out to Escalon about shipping charges on a case of 28 oz cans.

Where is Bova?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 08:09:26 PM by Ev »

Offline UnConundrum

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2009, 08:14:13 PM »
I believe Escalon's shipping charge is only $1.50/case.  Pretty reasonable.  Also, if you order 6 or more cans, the price drops to $2.50/can :)

Bova is in Chalfont, off Rt. 309, East of Montgomeryville.

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2009, 10:08:28 PM »
I am looking at a Can of Escalon's 6 in 1  thats on my computer desk
for the past 6 months....
it says $1.75 per can from Bova.Don't know if its any cheaper then the rest..............JT

Offline UnConundrum

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2009, 10:15:44 PM »
I was there Friday and they were out of the 28 oz. cans.  #10 cans were about $6.95...  I think you have an old can ;)

Offline Bob1

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2009, 07:21:17 AM »
Uncon,
I always buy the cases of 6 in 1 at Bova.  I believe it works out to about $1.50 for 28oz cans.  I think I also payed about $26 for a case of 6 6lb 9 oz cans.  I think that works out to less than $1.20 per 28ozs of product. It makes great Spaghetti sauce.  Hard to go wrong at those prices.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2009, 10:36:59 PM »
Ev,
It was nice meeting you today.  If you need any help, just let me know.  I don't have that much experience yet, but will help in any way I can.  Good luck with your current Lehmann pizzas!  :)
Norma

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2009, 08:05:45 AM »
Thanks, Norma. I enjoyed meeting you as well, and you make a fine pie, I might add.
 Thanks for the samples and tips you gave me.
I made one pie last night using the Lehmann recipe for the first time. My best yet. I'll have another for lunch today and see if one more day of fermentation changes anything.
Thanks again.
Ev

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2009, 09:00:32 AM »
Ev,
Great to hear your Lehmann pizza turned out the best yet.  I really like the Lehmann formulation.  With your one day longer fermentation your pie should turn out great today.  Peter and Tom Lehmann have helped me very much with my dough management. 
Let me know how your pizza turned out today.  Best of luck.
Norma

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2009, 06:38:38 PM »
Well now. Yesterdays' pie was my best yet, that is until today. Todays' pie was considerably better than yesterday. I've never had a dough so easy to work with, but the biggest difference was the addition of Grande cheese as opposed to my homemade mozz. I found a place in Reading, "Russos", that sells it pre-shredded in small quantities. I may be able to get them to break a case. I'll try that later. I also found 1# packages of saf IDY for $2.35 each at "Salinos"

Norma, if you are still willing to share some cheese next week, let me know. Thanks
Ev

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2009, 10:58:47 PM »
Ev,
That's great your pizza turned out well.  I love the Grande Cheese.  What kind of Grande did you purchase?  I would still like to try the East Coast Blend.  I just don't want my pizza to be really greasy.  That is why I am using the part-skimmed, low moisture. 
I did get a case of Grande today.  It went up to 2.12 a lb.  If you still want to purchase some next Tuesday email me.  My email is under my profile.  Let me know how much you want and if you want it shredded.  I shred the cheese on Monday, so you would have to let me know before Monday. If you want to purchase a loaf, that is okay, too.
Thanks for letting me know how your pizza was today.
Norma

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2009, 01:26:52 PM »
Norma,
Your email seems to be hidden under your profile, but mine is not, if you'd care to email me. Anyway, if you'd care to sell me a loaf, I'd be most appreciative. You can email me the price and I'll stop by Tuesday PM.
 BTW, the type of Grande from Russos' was unmarked on the package, so I called them today and was told the only type they sell is the part-skim/low moisture, that you use. They refused to break a case for me.
 I think I'll make some dough today, for Sunday, and go to Russos for a coupe pounds of cheese to tide me over. They also carry "San Marzano" tomatoes in 28 oz. cans. Do you have any experience with those?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2009, 03:24:07 PM »
Ev,
You should be able to click on anyone's name and it will bring up their profile.  Under their name it shows if you can private message people on this forum, or if they have a website, or if they have an email.  Check mine again and see if you can find my email either way or other members.  I will email you from my private email, since you can't access mine.
I get my Grande cheese from my local pizza man.  I had called Grande cheese this week to see who my local distributor was in my area.  The sales rep had called me this morning and told me to call Russo in Wymossing, since this is the local distributor.  I had asked him what the price of the Grande cheese would be for a case if I picked it up.  He gave me the price of 2.31 a lb.  That is more than I am paying now.  He asked me if I wanted an account and I am in the process of doing that.  I don't know if there will be a difference in the price or not because he wouldn't let me know that.  If not, I still will buy my cheese from my local pizza man.
I went to Mandro's yesterday in Lancaster.  I was never there before.  I purchased some Parmesan reggiano and some domestic mozzarella.  They have the fresh mozzarella from Italy, but it was too expensive for me to experiment with.  I saw they sell some San Marzano tomatoes there, too.  I never tried them.  I would like to experiment with some fresh tomatoes.  Maybe next year I will try and grow some. 
If you are interested in going to Mandro's, it is at the corner of Lemon St. and Charlotte.  I am going to go to Russo's one of these days to see what the price difference is in products.
Good luck with your pizza this weekend.  Let me know how it turned out.
If you want to see how people use San Marzano canned tomatoes post a question under ingredients on this forum.  I am sure someone will response and let you know how they use them.
Norma

pizzapan