Author Topic: Frank Pepe  (Read 1479 times)

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
Frank Pepe
« on: September 22, 2009, 12:17:50 PM »
I have to make a quick trip to Rhode Island this Friday.  Gonna stop in new haven and try Frank Pepes!

Very excited!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Frank Pepe
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 12:33:28 PM »
if you are going to be in providence you might want to check out the original grilled pizza at AL Forno's or its spin off Bacarro.    Totally different, but just as good as Pepe's.   Don't bother with anything in Boston, nothing really special there.   ALso, You will probably be closer to one of the newer pepe's locations.   If you want to save the drive time I have found the pizza to be the same at the newer locations.   They even duplicated the garage sized ovens.   good luck!

Also, many of my friends who live in the area prefer modern or sally's to pepe's.   They are all doing very similar pizza.

Offline BurntEdges

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 01:51:11 PM »
ALso, You will probably be closer to one of the newer pepe's locations.   If you want to save the drive time I have found the pizza to be the same at the newer locations.  

Scott, 
I respect the wealth of pizza knowledge you have, but I must disagree with you on the above point.  I have had many pizzas out of the original New Haven location, and on a few occasions pizzas from their Manchester, CT shop.  I found the the product from Manchester to be bland and different from New Haven regarding texture and flavor. 

However, I would note that at the back of the parking lot next to the New Haven Pepe's is a small pizza shop called "The Spot".  It is an "annex" facility of Frank Pepe's and under his complete operation.  When Pepe's is swamped with orders, especially take out orders, they are sent to "The Spot".  I have found that, to me at least, the oven at The Spot seems to run hotter and the pies are even a notch better due to the additional heat & char.  The Spot also has a smaller sit down dining area.  If your priority is the pizza, I would get it from "The Spot"; but if you want the complete Pepe's experience, go to the main store.  Also, if the wait is ridiculous at Pepe's, try The Spot as it's usually less busy.  Here's a link to Pepe's New Haven menu & you'll see that The Spot is noted on the top: http://www.pepespizzeria.com/menus.php

Also, many of my friends who live in the area prefer modern or sally's to pepe's.   They are all doing very similar pizza.

I completely agree!  As much as I ran on about Pepe's & The Spot, I prefer Modern Apizza over Pepe's or Sally's.  If you'll only have one chance at a New Haven pizza, I would get it at Modern.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 01:53:39 PM by BurntEdges »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 04:23:33 PM »
Burntedges, Jeff varasano prefers Modern to peppe's and sally's as well.    My feeling on pepe's vs modern vs other pepe's locations vs sally's is this.   It TOTALLY depends on the day and your luck.   I stick by my statement that pepe's other locations are just as good.    I have been to the manchester location 6 times now, and the spot about 20 and the original about 45 times.  I am surprised to say this, but I have had one of the best pepe's pizza in the past few years at the manchester location!  I really do think it is the same exact pizza.   I totally respect your opinion, so I will just have to agree to disagree with no hard feelings!

One thing that is interesting is that Sally's uses a lower end (cheaper) brand of cheese and (less expensive) california tomatoes, while pepe's uses a name brand expensive cheese and imported italian tomatoes.   They use the same flour brand.  Somehow I actually think Sally's is just as good, and even ate a plain pizza with "mootz" at pepe's, then sally's within an hour of each other and Sallys won for me and my wife hands down (on that day).   

P.S. I know for sure that the manchester location is using the same flour cheese and tomato brand as the original location and the spot. 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 04:37:20 PM by scott r »

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 06:23:10 PM »
I think it all comes down to day time and luck.  The only time I've been to Modern I was really excited and dragged four friends there.  Got there around 12:30pm.  I think someone was late for work that day or something.  Horrible doughy pies!  Not even cooked enough.  Everyone was like WTF?

Was driving home from NYC on 12/31/09 in a blizzard and remembered there was a new pepes in fairfield.  Found it on the blackberry went and to my delight it was great,  every bit as good as downtown,  without the wait.  That pizza really helped my attitude on my trip tat took an extra 3 hours.  And btw it totaly smoked the Grimaldis Bridge and Lombardis I had the previoius two days,  you just never know.  But  I will say that I was extremely impressed that Pepes could get it that close in a different shop.  -marc

pizzapan