Author Topic: What do you use? Food mill? Stick Blender? etc.  (Read 2215 times)

Offline UnConundrum

What do you use? Food mill? Stick Blender? etc.
« on: August 06, 2009, 02:25:21 PM »
Just picked up some tomatoes, and I'm wondering how everyone handles the whole canned tomatoes.  Do you cut open and remove the seed sacks or process the whole tomato?  Do you process with a food mill, stick blender, food processor, blender, or something else?

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
Re: What do you use? Food mill? Stick Blender? etc.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 04:39:47 PM »
I remove the seeds.  Can't say I've actually taste tested with and without, but it only takes a minute and looks better if nothing else.  Then I go at them with a stick blender just cause it is so convenient and an easy clean up, plus I find I can control how chunky to smooth it ends up pretty easily.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 05:52:35 PM »
Just picked up some tomatoes, and I'm wondering how everyone handles the whole canned tomatoes.  Do you cut open and remove the seed sacks or process the whole tomato?  Do you process with a food mill, stick blender, food processor, blender, or something else?

If your going to use a blender of any sort be sure to remove the seeds first or you'll end up with a bitter sauce.  I use mainly San Marzano's & simply hand crush them with the seeds. If you want a very thin sauce & don't care for the seeds you run them through the mill.

Offline dzpiez

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 10:44:39 PM »
I use a food mill for San Marzano's, 3 different size disks.  I noticed with the medium disk works best for me.