Author Topic: Using a gas grill question  (Read 1059 times)

Offline deedub

• I love pizza... what more is there to say?
Using a gas grill question
« on: August 06, 2009, 12:17:47 PM »
I'm looking to cook a pie using 50/50 all purpose flour and 00 flour. I understand that 00 flour turns out best when cooked quickly at a high temperature, so I thought I would use my gas barbeque. My question concerns the grilling method. I have a recipe for grilling pizzas (for 100% all purpose dough) which calls for grilling one side of the pizza first for a couple minutes, then taking it off the grill and putting the toppings on that side which was face down on the grill, and then putting it back on the grill for another few minutes. My question is should I follow this operation even for my current dough mixture? or should I just put all my toppings on and put the whole thing on the grill at once?

I used this dough mixture (00/all purpose) first in the oven... and while it was delicious and definitely my best pizza to date, the dough was only crunch around the crust. the rest was nice and fluffy, but didn't have any crunch to it. Here's how the first one turned out. (sorry about the crappy photos... all I had was my webcam).
I hate these things...

Offline Boston BBQ-za

Re: Using a gas grill question
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 12:45:10 PM »
I do a lot of grilled pizzas (directly on the grill grates) and regardless of dough recipe, I always cook one side and flip before adding my toppings.  I think this yields the best results and is the easiest way to do it.

Offline deedub

• I love pizza... what more is there to say?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 01:11:04 PM »
Boston,

What temperature do you cook at? And how long do you pre cook one side? ( by that I mean... how does it look when you take it out to put your toppings on? Is it crisp or still mostly doughy... browned or not?)

-Daniel
I hate these things...

Offline Boston BBQ-za

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 01:27:47 PM »
I typically put the dough on around 400deg and its a matter of minutes before the dough starts to puff up and the underside has a nice color with grill marks.  At that point, flip the dough over and turn down your heat to medium, add your topings and finish the pizza. Keep the top down on the grill as much as possible.  My pizza's typically cook in 8 min or so, but that all depends on dough thickness. 
I've tried to attach 2 picts of a recent pie and we'll see if they show up which will give you an idea of the coloring. 

Offline Boston BBQ-za

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 01:29:40 PM »
good.. the pictures worked.  to answer your other question, the dough should be crisp and cooked through on the bottom before flipping. Trying to put toppings on a mushy surface would be difficult. 

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 02:39:21 PM »
Boston BBQ-za,

Out of curiosity, were the grilled pizzas shown in the photos made from the cold fermented version of the Al Forno pizza dough and, if so, how did that version work out?

Peter

Offline Boston BBQ-za

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 03:38:07 PM »
good question Peter. I plan to report on how those come out once I try them. I'm planning to make the dough this Sat and grill them on Sunday. The pies below come from a receipe in BBQ USA, which IMO, is a terrific grilling book.  The recipe is fairly basic with molasses, ap flour, a little whole wheat flour and a  rise at room temp.  The molasses imparts a nice flavor to the dough and is a nice compliment when you do some alternative pizza's like the goat cheese, pesto and olives (above) or proscuitto then top with fresh arugula, shaved pecorino and lemon. 

pizzapan