Author Topic: fastest way to de-thaw frozen dough  (Read 12180 times)

Offline snowdy

• i pledge allegiance to the pizza
    • Dataheadz Design
fastest way to de-thaw frozen dough
« on: February 18, 2005, 07:18:34 PM »
Hey guys,
I need to make 3 pizzas tonight. 2 of the balls are homemade and are already warming up to room temperature after a 24 hour refridgeration.

I just got a 3rd ball from an italian deli and it was frozen.

Can i put it in the microwave to dethaw? or oven?

I am going to start cooking in about 2 hours.

thanks!

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
Re: fastest way to de-thaw frozen dough
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 07:25:16 PM »
Don't go near the microwave. You should be okay if you put it inside a warm spot covered with a towel. Best of luck.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 07:36:15 PM »
Snowdy,

I can't guarantee that this will work because I haven't tried it myself, but I have read that the way to defrost frozen dough is to place the frozen dough in a microwave-proof bowl, covered with plastic wrap with several holes poked in, and then microwave on “defrost” for about 1-2 minutes, left to rest for 5 minutes, and microwave again on “defrost” for another minute, and left to rest for another 5 minutes. You will have to determine whether the two cycles are enough. If not, try another cycle, but shorter than the last to be sure that you don't overshoot the mark. Once you are satisfied, the dough can then be gently formed into a ball and allowed to rise in accordance with the particular recipe used before shaping into a pizza round. Of course, the precise times to achieve the desired results will vary depending on the amount of dough involved, the microwave unit used, etc., so some experimentation will usually be required.

Peter. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 07:44:38 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 07:39:17 PM »
FWIW, I've never had a problem defrosting my frozen dough with the microwave.  I use the lowest possible setting, not the default "defrost" setting on the MW.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 07:50:39 PM »
I've tried that and it got crusty

Offline snowdy

• i pledge allegiance to the pizza
    • Dataheadz Design
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 08:21:05 PM »
okay, thanks for all the info guys.
i was out of saran wrap :( so i just stuck it in a bowl and put it in for 1 minute. the outer layer was perfectly dethawed so i ripped it off... then put back the cold chunk of the center adn did the same and formed it all back into a ball.

it's now sitting out at a little bit more than room temperature.

probably not ideal but it should be okay :D

Offline Gils

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2005, 06:07:33 PM »
Another way to do it is to turn your oven on to its lowest setting (ie warm, 150) let it just come to temp, shut it off, and throw the dough into a bowl/pan that has been oiled to keep it from sticking. Make sure it is covered tight maybe even in a bag inside a pan and throw it in the oven. The microwave is faster, but more care is required. 
To keep it from getting a crust maybe wrap it in a plastic bag with all the air pushed out. This will allow for it to thaw, but not dry as easily and form a crust. The other thing you want to beware of is that you use a lower setting for more time. Otherwise you can actually cook the bread dough as its thawing.  Kind of like thawing hamburger in the microwave. Too hot too long gives it a brown edge whil the middle stays frozen

Hope that adds something useful.