Author Topic: 18" with Homemade mozzarella  (Read 6095 times)

Offline CaptSammy

Re: 18" with Homemade mozzarella
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 08:49:53 AM »
Now that's a pizza. Great Pics. ( I must be getting old, I use to look at girls like that :( )

Offline s00da

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 04:43:18 AM »
Saad,

With your oven and high oven temperature, I think attempting the Brian Spangler (Apizza Scholls) clone dough at Reply 17 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7225.msg76431.html#msg76431 would be an interesting experiment for you to conduct. Even the size (18") is right. I'm sure that others would also like to see what you get with the Spangler clone dough in your oven.

Peter

I'll be glad to do that. It's a good challenge along with many things to learn as I've never made a poolish before, never worked with that much hydration and don't know how to perform the stretch&fold technique.

Let me go through your post in details and will post you any questions so I can get started on that.

Saad

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 09:17:59 AM »
Saad,

I think the experiment would be great and that you will learn a lot from it, but it is entirely up to you.

Peter

Offline FirePie

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2009, 09:42:44 AM »
s00da,

My question to you is this.. how were you able to obtain an oven temperature of 720 degrees? I'm wondering if you actually have an outdoor brick oven for this purpose, or possibly a deck oven which I generally thought never reached higher than about 625 degrees Fahrenheit. Or perhaps you may have used the auto-cleaning cycle of your home oven to bake that gorgeous pizza with, something I (you may have as well) learned from Jeff Varasano's NY pizza blog. If the latter option was the actual method that you used, would you please explain to me how I might be able to remove the lock of my oven door and prevent the electronics from citing an error? Jeff says he uses a rolled-up length of aluminum foil to achieve this purpose, which he wedges in position of the lock and with the other end overlapping outside the door to the oven. I realize that this could very well be the opposite of what you did, and perhaps I might be able to seek his advice on this topic but so far have not. But just in case you have used this method yourself, how might I be able to accomplish this? I'm not very mechanical  :-[ but I could probably do it if I was given a more detailed list of instructions. Sorry if my reply was a bit asinine.

Keep up the AWESOME work!!!

-FirePie-

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2009, 09:51:14 AM »
FirePie,

See Reply 18 in this thread, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9053.msg78321.html#msg78321, where you will find the link to the oven that Saad is using.

Peter

Offline FirePie

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2009, 10:33:21 AM »
Thanks Pete. Again, I apologize for wasting you guys' time. I'm still clearly a novice and probably don't deserve a thread among the rest of you. :'(

Offline s00da

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2009, 04:43:17 PM »
A smaller version of my NY pizza dough (13.5") with increased hydration resulted in a more airy and crispier pizza. I think I don't want to change my NY style with GM bread flour recipe anymore. Maybe try Spangler's recipe that Pete worked on a while back.

This is tonight's pizza, homemade fresh mozzarella, pure tomatoes sauce, sun dried tomatoes and almond pesto.

Offline vitoduke

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2009, 06:38:05 PM »
Pepperoni pizza from Saturday---Mel

pizzapan