Author Topic: Pizza Secrets and Pearls  (Read 3640 times)

Offline bradtri

Re: Pizza Secrets and Pearls
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2016, 02:37:34 PM »
#34  Learn to be friends with your dough.  If you treat it unkindly and try to force it to do your will, it will often resist.  Remember that your dough has needs  (get it?  hehe  ;D)

Online Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2016, 03:07:37 PM »
#34  Learn to be friends with your dough.  If you treat it unkindly and try to force it to do your will, it will often resist.  Remember that your dough has needs  (get it?  hehe  ;D)

I always talk to my dough. Tell it things like you better give me a good crust and crumb you SOB!  :-D

Online TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2016, 03:42:26 PM »
I always talk to my dough. Tell it things like you better give me a good crust and crumb you SOB!  :-D

Or you'll what? Burn it alive?  :-D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline jbrod074

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2016, 05:43:33 PM »
might sound cheesy but its the yeast u can do 4 a pizza the pie

Online Minolta Rokkor

• I Do It For The Guests.
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2016, 05:20:49 PM »
#35) Sticky dough high hydration dough? Don't want to use a 1/4 of your flour to keep it from sticking? No problem!

Here's a secret.

Remove the lid to the bowl of your dough. Allow the exposed skin to air dry to the point where it is no longer stick.
This may take an hour or two or longer.

Once the exposed skin is dry put the dry side down on semolina flour.

Rub your hands in a tasteless oil. You can choose Soybean oil, canola oil, or warm shortening.
Rub a little bit of oil on the dough and then your hands and fingers

Work dough into desired shape.

Once you plan you go under the dough in the shaping/stretching process. WASH, RINSE, and DRY your hands.
After than go under and finish up.

It's a few extra steps but the pies come out much more round.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2016, 10:01:53 AM »
Wow, I thought dried out dough was not a good thing. This works?

Online Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2016, 12:10:28 PM »
Wow, I thought dried out dough was not a good thing. This works?
It has to be superficial. Not really dried out per say.
But let the skin air dry until it feels like it's in the mid to high 50% hydration range.

Offline texmex

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2016, 12:46:16 PM »
It has to be superficial. Not really dried out per say.
But let the skin air dry until it feels like it's in the mid to high 50% hydration range.

Maybe this works in Virginia, but in this desert...bare skin turns to alligator skin real quick.  Yoy should see my elbows! :-D
Reesa

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2016, 09:45:54 AM »
Superficial..I can do that  :-D

Thanks!

Offline Saabluster

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2016, 11:06:16 PM »

21) When trying a recipe, try to follow the instructions given as carefully as possible. That is, try not to freelance or make material changes, in either the ingredients or instructions, since such changes can affect the chemistry or physics of the dough, its performance, and the timing of its use. If this is not possible, ask for help before proceeding.

I laughed reading this after I just got through telling you how I didn't exactly follow your recipe. Thanks for being so patient.  ;D

Offline texmex

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2016, 02:09:38 AM »
I laughed reading this after I just got through telling you how I didn't exactly follow your recipe. Thanks for being so patient.  ;D

Ha! You shall get along just fine here.  So long as you document every excruciating or luscious detail with photos, of course.
Reesa

Offline Saabluster

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2016, 12:41:53 AM »
Ha! You shall get along just fine here.  So long as you document every excruciating or luscious detail with photos, of course.

Photography is a pastime of mine so that wish shouldn't be too hard to fulfill. I mainly shoot people so I'm gonna have to give it some thought on how to shoot artistic pizza portraits.  ;D

Online TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2016, 09:03:40 AM »
I'm gonna have to give it some thought on how to shoot artistic pizza portraits.  ;D

It's helps to start with good looking pizza. Focus on the pizza and the good looking pictures will follow all on their own.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2016, 09:00:43 PM »
A little too much yeast or starter is better than not enough. You can always slow things down with a fridge. Speeding things up can be messy.

Offline Killa Joe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2016, 06:47:53 PM »
Still not sure of #8? What is a Pizza Jerk?  ???

KJ  8)

Online Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2016, 06:57:27 PM »
Still not sure of #8? What is a Pizza Jerk?  ???

KJ  8)
#8 is me.

Online Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2016, 07:10:43 PM »
#8 is me.

Lol.  I can be a pizza jerk sometimes too but not that often.  A pizza jerk is someone with an elitist mentality.  Easy to spot.  Says stuff like there's only true pizza style.  Their stuff is better than everyone else's.  If you're not doing XYZ or this way or that, then you're missing the mark.  Easily irritated and doesn't play nice.

Offline Pizza mom

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2016, 09:02:21 PM »
My pizza jerk is named Bill and has worked for me for 22 years.  Looks like he was made fun of on the post about making Caseys pizza on my Breadeaux video posted about a year ago.  I found it kinda funny that they commented we prob only tossed the dough for the commercial when we do it every time, except with deep dish.  It's weird when you never realize people might be speaking of you and you see it 7 months later by chance.  Like right now I'm trying to be low key with my name change and everyone in town apparently wants to know what's going on which brings in more business o the irony

Offline Killa Joe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2016, 10:19:20 PM »
Lol.  I can be a pizza jerk sometimes too but not that often.  A pizza jerk is someone with an elitist mentality.  Easy to spot.  Says stuff like there's only true pizza style.  Their stuff is better than everyone else's.  If you're not doing XYZ or this way or that, then you're missing the mark.  Easily irritated and doesn't play nice.

Opppsss...  :-[ I guess thinking cheese pizza with sauce and awesome dough is the ultimate pizza would be kinda pizza jerky? Well, I suppose then I'm a bit that then, but I don't feel too badly about it. On rare occassions I'll go for mushrooms...I did enjoy the veggie stuffed UNO's in Boston years ago. I love all styles, but can you really blame a pizza nut for saying dough, cheese, and sauce are what its all about? This is truly the way one can tell a good pizza the basics. (I even had the pineapple pizza Papa Johns many years ago....lol don't sue me).

On a side note, I don't get people who make and eat damn filet mignon wrapped in bacon!!!! WTH!@!  >:D  You taste bacon for goodness sake, not the awesome filet flavor...ugh, I just don't get it...  :-\

In fact, the Italians confirm this by their pizza Margerhita of course. Dough, tomatoes, basil, olive oil. and bufalo moz.  You surely won't be calling the Italians pizza jerks will ya?   ;D :P :-D  To me, same concept with pepperoni I suppose. Will hide the taste of dough, cheese, and sauce...

Oh, and speaking of Italy. One of my my new plans is to go to L'Antica Pizzeria Da Michele (best pizza in Italy? We shall see) as I recently found out about it through YouTube...and of course the Uffizi Gallery.

KJ  8)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 10:27:22 PM by Killa Joe »

Offline texmex

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2016, 11:41:19 PM »
Pizza jerks....haha..I'm  a pizza hack.
I  try real hard not to become a pizza jerk, but inconsistencies throughout  render me a hack, and jerkdom is a long way off as far as pizza goes..  :-\  jerkdom in other areas..well, I  work hard at that too.  :P

Reesa

wordpress