Author Topic: Deb's pizza thread  (Read 2336 times)

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
Re: Deb's pizza thread
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2014, 04:11:48 PM »
Those are the best breadsticks EVER!!
Bob

Offline adampawliczek

• I Love Pizza!
    • Online pizza dough calculator
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2014, 01:29:44 AM »
Caputo, 60 HR, Salt 2.5%, IDY adjusted for 44 hours at 65 degrees.  260 gram  (up salt to 2.75 next time)

pizza 1 - margherita (buffalo mozz) with calabrian chili oil and alleppo pepper
pizza 2 - Vt. cure pepperoni, dry wm mozz
pizza 3 - roasted butternut squash mixed with mascarpone cheese, cream and sage, pancetta, buffalo mozz & grated parm.  Not in picture I ended up drizzling some honey on post bake.  Next time I will add some liquor soaked dried cranberries.
pizza 4 - new one based after what i have read about Artichoke Basille's pizza - I sauteed some shallots and garlic, added some cream and a few more cloves of crushed garlic and reduced down.  Added some rough chopped spinach .black pepper & grated parm when I took off the heat.  (frozen) Baby Artichoke hearts , more parm & black pepper)  before baking
pizza 5 - burrata, lemon zest & olive oil.   Prosciutto & Salad mix (dressed with lemon juice, olive oil, s&p ) post bake
pizza 6 - margherita with calabrian chili oil - launched over 900, 60 second bake

Deb, your napoli pizzas are awesome. I hope to get close to your results when i build my wood oven :) And the toppings are great too.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2014, 07:17:15 PM »
Jury is still out on this one,  I decided to do The Pizza Bible New Yorker with starter but between a few changes to the recipe, new flour , etc I'm not sure how I feel about this recipe.  Biggest change to recipe is that I couldn't find malt and I had already started the starter.  After a little googling I decided raw honey was my best substitute, based on what I read I decided just to go ahead with 1:1 substitution.   I don't have access to the Power Flower and did not want to go with the high protein of All Trumps I bought some Full Strength (I have been using Spring King and like it but the place that sells it is not open on Saturday).   I  used cake yeast which I have just started using so not much experience with it.  Pizza was a bit tougher than I want, not sure if I overworked or was simply the new flour.  Dough wasn't too bad to work with but was a little sticky when warm, I don't remember having a dough that has been sticky like this.

I used the Master Dough with Tiga.  The TF was pretty thick on the recipe so I scaled it it to .075 TF  (third pizza ended up thicker, I did not stretch all the way to 12") ,  about 18 hour room temp  ferment on tiga, 48 hour fridge rise for final dough

I was going to make the New York- New Jersey Sauce but didn't want to open 2 cans of tomatoes and paste so I used a can of whole italian tomatoes, buzzed 2/3 with stick blender and hand crushed the rest.  I added a proportionate amount of tomato paste.

I did three pizzas - I used sliced cheese as per the New Yorker recipe, then sauced, then toppings. 

Cooked on the steel - pizza one steel was ~610, pizza two ~ 600, no reading on last, broiler on after launch

Pizza 1 - pepperoni, chicken sausage, oregano & parm grated on after bake
Pizza 2 - pepperoni, chicken sausage, oregano, crushed red pepper, parm grated and ricotta drops after bake
Pizza 3 - plain cheese

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 07:22:50 PM by deb415611 »
Deb

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2014, 08:15:00 PM »
They all look teriffic Deb. I really like the way you did the ricotta......
Bob

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2014, 06:25:55 PM »
I was supposed to go to a friend's for dinner tonight.  She requested that I do cheese sticks with detroit dough (she had some of the ones a few posts above).   Dinner was postponed so I had dough that needed to be baked.  I used what I found in the fridge - fresh mozz ball, cheddar on the edges, thin sliced some brussel sprouts, fresh cranberries, diced pancetta. 

I didn't bake long enough and was soft on the bottom but was still pretty tasty.  Loving the fresh cranberries, far superior to the rehydrated dried ones I have used on some pizzas.

I just mixed up another one for a 24 hour rise in case dinner happens tomorrow  :P 

Deb

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2014, 07:58:05 PM »
Love that topping combo, very pretty
Josh

JD's NY Style: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=34538.0
JD's Neapolitan using Pizza Party WFO: (Coming soon!)
http://www.wood-fired-pizza-oven.us/

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #46 on: Yesterday at 08:10:33 PM »
Johnny's clone tonight

100% Full Strength, 60 % water, 2% salt, 2% olive oil, IDY  , 13" .07 but pizza one was closer to 12".    Preferment all of the water and equal amount of flour and small pinch of IDY , was supposed to be 12 hour, went 24  .  Final dough room temp ~10 hours.   Sauce - Napoli passata , didn't read when I bought it and has basil, citric acid and salt - don't think I would buy again.  Cheese - Napoli krema, sliced ~1/8 inch thinner than the black line on the slicer (the numbers on the slicer are worn off  :( and I have certain marks)

done on steel, launched at 560 and 545, broiler on at launch

pretty happy with these, different sauce next time, need to find the Pomi to try

pizza 1 - cheese 1/2 with chopped calabrian chilis
pizza 2 - vermont cure pepperoni

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:39:53 PM by deb415611 »
Deb

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #47 on: Yesterday at 08:31:34 PM »
Your sauce-cheese melt looks great!

I made some last night, and I made my normal JC sauce with the Pomi sauce and I wasn't in love with it, so I made a second batch with Cento Italian WP pureed well with the boat motor. I liked it much more and ended up pouring the Pomi sauce down the drain  :-[.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #48 on: Yesterday at 08:38:15 PM »
Thanks Craig.  I almost trashed this sauce but i'm out of other tomatoes :-X.  My first batch was the Cento Italian boat motored and I liked it.  I'll try the Pomi and then stop searching. 

sauce-cheese melt is happy, I need to go back into the thread and document the cheese thickness so I can do again. 
Deb

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #49 on: Today at 07:17:29 AM »
Those pies look great, Deb!  I'll have a slice of the pepperoni please ;D

I looked last week and I couldn't find the Pomi.  I was thinking about using my Sclafani whole peeled tomatoes with the boat motor when I try the Johnny's clone.  I'm interested in the cheese thickness when you find it.  Thanks for posting.
Mary Ann

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #50 on: Today at 11:26:06 AM »
I measured my cheese slices, and they are 0.080" +/- 0.005"
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Simple Man

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #51 on: Today at 02:16:07 PM »

Hee Hee.

Deb, Happy to lend you a micrometer anytime so you can get the thickness dialed in.  ;D
Dave

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #52 on: Today at 02:35:56 PM »
Now that's being accurate!  :D
So, how thick is your Vermont  pepperoni?  No, never mind, Bob don't want to know dat!!  :o
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #53 on: Today at 04:33:29 PM »
Hee Hee.

Deb, Happy to lend you a micrometer anytime so you can get the thickness dialed in.  ;D

Thank you  :-D

house is going up down the street, I was spending time wondering if any of the workpeople might have one, then the thoughts went to the different neighbors.... I"m going to have to rely on a less precise method.

do you think my husband will notice if we have pizza again tonight?
Deb

pizzapan