Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 236499 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #1050 on: June 07, 2012, 04:52:40 PM »
FYI, Great Lakes is also the company which is behind another great cheddar from a small town in northern NY, Adams Reserve, made in Adams, NY. My son and I made short work of an 8 oz. chunk this past Saturday. 8)
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1051 on: June 07, 2012, 06:52:57 PM »
FYI, Great Lakes is also the company which is behind another great cheddar from a small town in northern NY, Adams Reserve, made in Adams, NY. My son and I made short work of an 8 oz. chunk this past Saturday. 8)

Dave,

Thanks for the additional information!   :) 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1052 on: June 08, 2012, 12:26:15 PM »

Offline akuban

• Supporting Member
  • Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #1053 on: June 08, 2012, 03:11:02 PM »
Adam Kuban’s review of Mack’s Pizza on Slice.  http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/06/macks-pizza-wildwood-new-jersey-nj.html I love the old picture in the Slideshow at http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/06/macks-pizza-wildwood-new-jersey-nj-slideshow.html#show-246840

Ah ha! I was wondering how Pete found his way over to that post.

To answer the question Pete asked there regarding how I found out about the cheese blend (cheddar/mozz), well, I saw that info here on Pizzamaking. I pretty much took it as gospel, Pizzamakers are numero uno about ferreting out the most hidden of details about any particular pie.

But Pete's scrutiny nagged at me, and I called the Wildwood Avenue Mack's for more info. It turns out they use white cheddar–mozzarella-Swiss blend. He wouldn't go into details about the ratio — and his accent was heavy so I had a hard time understanding — but I do believe he said they use "a little mozzarella." Which is interesting, because, dang, really? I'd have figured the mixture would have run heavy on mozzarella with the other two making up smaller percentages.

Norma: Maybe you can use that to re-create the flavor, if you haven't already hit upon it yet.
¡Hasta la pizza!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1054 on: June 08, 2012, 05:58:57 PM »

Norma: Maybe you can use that to re-create the flavor, if you haven't already hit upon it yet.

Adam,

Thanks for calling Mack’s about what kind of cheese blend they use.  I never tried Swiss cheese in the blend, but am even having a hard time trying to find the right brand of cheddar to try.  I might add some Swiss cheese in the blend on my next attempt.  So far finding the right blend has been hard.  For a long while we thought Mack’s was using only cheddar.  I still am not sure if Mack’s is telling the truth.  I don’t know why a pizzeria that has been around for a long while would want to share what kind of cheese or cheese blends that they use.  That is what makes Mack’s pizza so unique.  I haven’t hit on the exact right flavor of the cheese yet.

Thanks again,  :)

Norma

Offline Meatballs

« Reply #1055 on: June 08, 2012, 06:24:21 PM »
Just a question since I have been following this thread for so long and have made earlier versions of the pizza... does anybody know if Mack's, or Manco and Manco's or the defunct Mack and Manco's know if we have this thread?  Just wondering... has anybody approached them and come clean?  It would be interesting.  I'm mum since I live in Alabama, but have, in the past had, ties to Wildwood/Wildwood Crest and even the Wildwood Boardwalk. 

Knowing the people who live in the area (Northeast) and being one of them (although now a Southerner) there is a 50/50 chance they would own up to the truth.  On the downside, they are protective of their special knowledge... on the upside they are proud of their accomplishments and fear nobody.  Just a question, I won't divulge a thing myself...

Ron

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1056 on: June 08, 2012, 06:35:28 PM »
Just a question since I have been following this thread for so long and have made earlier versions of the pizza... does anybody know if Mack's, or Manco and Manco's or the defunct Mack and Manco's know if we have this thread?  Just wondering... has anybody approached them and come clean?  It would be interesting.  I'm mum since I live in Alabama, but have, in the past had, ties to Wildwood/Wildwood Crest and even the Wildwood Boardwalk.  

Knowing the people who live in the area (Northeast) and being one of them (although now a Southerner) there is a 50/50 chance they would own up to the truth.  On the downside, they are protective of their special knowledge... on the upside they are proud of their accomplishments and fear nobody.  Just a question, I won't divulge a thing myself...

Ron

Ron,

I am not aware of anyone that shared this thread with Mack’s or Manco & Manco, but you never know if someone might have told them about this thread.  When I did visit Mack’s one time the one lady sitting beside me asked the pieman what kind of cheese is used on Mack’s pizza and he just said a blend.  That lady does live in Wildwood and frequents Mack’s a lot.  I did put that video somewhere on this thread.  The way I feel is if the pieman didn’t want to share with a regular customer what cheese or cheese blend they use, why would they want to tell anyone else.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1057 on: June 08, 2012, 07:16:02 PM »
Norma,

As I mentioned to Adam over at SeriousEats, Swiss cheese is not unknown in the pizza world. The Imo's Provel cheese (St. Louis) contains Swiss cheese, and if you do a Google search looking for mozzarella/cheddar/Swiss cheese blends used on pizzas, you will find some pizzerias that use such a blend. They are usually specialty pizzas. I am not certain that Swiss cheese fits the profile of a cheese blend to be used on a boardwalk-style pizza that is a style of pizza for the masses, not epicureans. And while Mack's has some regulars, I would imagine that a very large percentage of Mack's diners are vacationers who may never return to Mack's again. If that is so, why try for a gourmet type of pizza? I don't know what the prices are for Swiss cheese from foodservice companies but I would imagine that they are higher than for mozzarella cheese and maybe even cheddar cheese. The price of the Swiss cheese might govern how much to use on pizzas (I assume that profits matter to Mack's) but if the amount is too low, it might not even be noticed by diners. If that is so, it might best be left off of pizzas and be replaced by cheaper cheeses. It would be another thing if Mack's promoted a three-cheese blend for marketing purposes, just as Papa Gino's does with its three-cheese blend. And in their blend, you can't even taste the cheddar cheese on the finished pizza, there is so little of it in relation to the mozzarella cheese.

All of the above is just my logic. I could be wrong but, for now, count me skeptical.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1058 on: June 08, 2012, 08:34:25 PM »
Norma,

As I mentioned to Adam over at SeriousEats, Swiss cheese is not unknown in the pizza world. The Imo's Provel cheese (St. Louis) contains Swiss cheese, and if you do a Google search looking for mozzarella/cheddar/Swiss cheese blends used on pizzas, you will find some pizzerias that use such a blend. They are usually specialty pizzas. I am not certain that Swiss cheese fits the profile of a cheese blend to be used on a boardwalk-style pizza that is a style of pizza for the masses, not epicureans. And while Mack's has some regulars, I would imagine that a very large percentage of Mack's diners are vacationers who may never return to Mack's again. If that is so, why try for a gourmet type of pizza? I don't know what the prices are for Swiss cheese from foodservice companies but I would imagine that they are higher than for mozzarella cheese and maybe even cheddar cheese. The price of the Swiss cheese might govern how much to use on pizzas (I assume that profits matter to Mack's) but if the amount is too low, it might not even be noticed by diners. If that is so, it might best be left off of pizzas and be replaced by cheaper cheeses. It would be another thing if Mack's promoted a three-cheese blend for marketing purposes, just as Papa Gino's does with its three-cheese blend. And in their blend, you can't even taste the cheddar cheese on the finished pizza, there is so little of it in relation to the mozzarella cheese.

All of the above is just my logic. I could be wrong but, for now, count me skeptical.

Peter

Peter,

I did see your posts at Slice.  Thanks for trying to help this thread!  :) I will have to do a Google search for mozzarella/cheddar/Swiss cheese blend used on pizzas.  I also wonder about if the Swiss cheese fit’s the profile of a cheese blend to be used on a boardwalk-style pizza for the masses.  I agree, why would Mack’s or even Manco & Manco try for a gourmet pizza.  I don’t know either what prices Swiss cheese prices are from distributors, but I could check with my distributor to see what they are.  Since Mack’s or Manco & Manco really aren’t chains, I don’t think we will ever find out what cheese blend they use or even if they use a cheese blend.  I would think years ago when I remember Mack’s, they would have gotten cheese of whatever kind or kinds they are using and it would have been pretty close to both places and don’t think they would have even thought of using Swiss in a blend.  I know from my distributor and from Bova that white cheddar even in 42.9 lb. blocks is more expensive than mozzarella by about .34 a lb.

I checked my catalog from Bova and they only have 2 kind of Swiss cheeses listed out of 5 pages of cheeses.  I don’t know the prices for those two Swiss cheeses unless I would get a price quote.

Your logic usually makes sense.  I am also skeptical of them using any Swiss.  I guess I am stumped on what to try.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1059 on: June 08, 2012, 10:29:41 PM »
I have no idea if Anonymous that posted March 8, 2010 at 11:39 PM knows what he is talking about or not, but he said Joey Mack’s is like Mack’s pizza and Joey Mack’s uses a cheddar blend. http://bestphiladelphiapizzablog.blogspot.com/2009/09/macks-boardwalk-pizza-south.html 

Norma

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1060 on: June 08, 2012, 11:12:25 PM »
An interesting review to say the least, as were some of the comments. Makes me wanna drive down there and check it out! ;)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1061 on: June 08, 2012, 11:20:20 PM »
An interesting review to say the least, as were some of the comments. Makes me wanna drive down there and check it out! ;)

Steve,

Whenever you have time and if you really want to.   ;D  Remember we did talk about going to Phila.

Norma

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #1062 on: June 09, 2012, 12:07:00 AM »
I have a feeling that more places use a mozz/cheddar then most of us are aware of.To be trueful, many/most mozzarellas today are rather bland and lacking on flavor, the cheddar adds a little extra punch to the flavor profile. I believe that the orangy oil that you see on many pizzas are a pretty reliable tell that some cheddar may have been used.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1063 on: June 09, 2012, 07:05:46 AM »
I have a feeling that more places use a mozz/cheddar then most of us are aware of.To be trueful, many/most mozzarellas today are rather bland and lacking on flavor, the cheddar adds a little extra punch to the flavor profile. I believe that the orangy oil that you see on many pizzas are a pretty reliable tell that some cheddar may have been used.

Dave,

You are probably correct that more pizza businesses might use a blend with some cheddar in the blend than we think.  There are so many kinds of blocks of mozzarella available to pizzerias that to me it is almost mind blowing.  Different ones available from distributors do have a good taste when tasted plain or baked on a pizza. 

I sure don’t know, but the way Mack’s pizza oils off there sure must be a lot of cheddar for their pies, if it isn’t all cheddar.

My daughter picked me up 4 packs of the Great Lakes Cheddar last evening.  It might even be tried as a full cheddar pie in the next few weeks.

Norma 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1064 on: June 09, 2012, 12:53:24 PM »
A  couple more articles about Joey Mack’s Boardwalk Pizza and how it might related to Mack’s pizza, Manco & Manco and Maruca’s in Seaside Heights with the cheddar and how the owners of Mack‘s, Manco & Manco, Maruca‘s, and Joey Mack are all related.  Joey Mack also managed Mack’s North in the late 60’s, so he should know the dough formulation and the kind of cheese that is used on all the pies.  Joey Mack also pours his sauce like Maruca’s does with something like a coffeepot.  It says in the second article Joey Mack revealed the “different cheese” by pulling out a bag labeled “shredded white cheddar”.

http://archives.citypaper.net/food/restaurants/id/2389/Joey+Mack's+Boardwalk+Pizza/

http://archives.citypaper.net/articles/2006/08/24/Off-The-Menu

http://beefandbuns.blogspot.com/2011/06/joey-macks-boardwalk-pizza.html

http://philadelphia.foobooz.com/2006/08/24/boardwalk-pizza-in-south-philly/

Differing opinions on Joey Mack’s pizza on Yelp. http://www.yelp.com/biz/joey-macks-boardwalk-pizza-philadelphia

My daughter just purchased a new Nissan on Thursday so I think I will have to talk her into a road trip even if the neighborhood is bad.  :-D

I still am thinking that the cheese is all cheddar, but don’t know.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1065 on: June 09, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »
I sure don’t know, but the way Mack’s pizza oils off there sure must be a lot of cheddar for their pies, if it isn’t all cheddar.

Norma,

I was reading some Yelp and other reviews of the Mack's pizzas this morning, and one of the biggest complaints was that the Mack's pizzas are too oily or greasy. Those of us who have worked with cheddar cheese know how much oil it releases during baking. Cheddar cheese has more fat, in terms of Total Fat and Sat Fat, than mozzarella does, and perhaps that is why it oils off more. For example, a typical mozzarella cheese, whether it is a low-moisture part-skim or whole-milk mozzarella, and whether used alone or in a blend (like the 50/50 East Coast blend from Grande), has 6 grams of Total Fat and 4 grams of Sat Fat per ounce. On occasion, you might find a brand with 5 grams of Total Fat and 3.4 grams of Sat Fat per ounce. By contrast, a mild cheddar cheese, white or colored, typically has 9 grams of Total Fat and 6 grams of Sat Fat per ounce. Whether the cheddar cheese is mild, medium or sharp does not seem to matter. The numbers are usually the same. This morning, out of curiosity, I looked up the corresponding numbers for a generic Swiss cheese. They are 8 grams of Total Fat and 5 grams of Sat Fat per ounce (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/39/2).

What I don't know at this point is whether Swiss cheese oils off more than say, mozzarella cheese, or even which metric governs the oiling off event. So, today, while I was at the market, I purchased an 8-ounce block of Swiss cheese. It was the same brand, Crystal Farms, as the low-moisture part-skim and cheddar cheeses that I recently purchased to conduct some tests on the Papa Gino's cloning project I am currently working on. The fat numbers for the Crystan Farms Swiss cheese are the same as mentioned above. I hope soon to conduct some taste and bake tests to see how Swiss cheese performs in relation to mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. The price of the Crystal Farms Swiss cheese was $2.99 for 8 ounces.  

Another major complaint that came through the reviews I read this morning is that the Mack's pizzas are expensive. I suspect that Mack's prices reflect what its competitors charge although it is possible that Mack's has higher ingredients costs. Also, as I understand it, Mack's is only open three months a year. To the extent that Mack's has expenses, like lease expenses or labor costs, that are incurred the entire year and not just for the three months, along with annual start up and shut down expenses, that could account for and justify the higher pizza prices.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 01:28:32 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Meatballs

« Reply #1066 on: June 09, 2012, 01:58:44 PM »
Having been raised on the Jersey Coast I can tell you that seasonal businesses are very common as winter there is nothing like it is in Panama City, Fl, where I hang out now.  Prices of everything in the area are sky-high as its primarily a summer resort and a ghost town in the winter. 

Ron

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1067 on: June 09, 2012, 02:27:56 PM »
Norma,

I was reading some Yelp and other reviews of the Mack's pizzas this morning, and one of the biggest complaints was that the Mack's pizzas are too oily or greasy. Those of us who have worked with cheddar cheese know how much oil it releases during baking. Cheddar cheese has more fat, in terms of Total Fat and Sat Fat, than mozzarella does, and perhaps that is why it oils off more. For example, a typical mozzarella cheese, whether it is a low-moisture part-skim or whole-milk mozzarella, and whether used alone or in a blend (like the 50/50 East Coast blend from Grande), has 6 grams of Total Fat and 4 grams of Sat Fat per ounce. On occasion, you might find a brand with 5 grams of Total Fat and 3.4 grams of Sat Fat per ounce. By contrast, a mild cheddar cheese, white or colored, typically has 9 grams of Total Fat and 6 grams of Sat Fat per ounce. Whether the cheddar cheese is mild, medium or sharp does not seem to matter. The numbers are usually the same. This morning, out of curiosity, I looked up the corresponding numbers for a generic Swiss cheese. They are 8 grams of Total Fat and 5 grams of Sat Fat per ounce (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/39/2).

What I don't know at this point is whether Swiss cheese oils off more than say, mozzarella cheese, or even which metric governs the oiling off event. So, today, while I was at the market, I purchased an 8-ounce block of Swiss cheese. It was the same brand, Crystal Farms, as the low-moisture part-skim and cheddar cheeses that I recently purchased to conduct some tests on the Papa Gino's cloning project I am currently working on. The fat numbers for the Crystan Farms Swiss cheese are the same as mentioned above. I hope soon to conduct some taste and bake tests to see how Swiss cheese performs in relation to mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. The price of the Crystal Farms Swiss cheese was $2.99 for 8 ounces.  

Another major complaint that came through the reviews I read this morning is that the Mack's pizzas are expensive. I suspect that Mack's prices reflect what its competitors charge although it is possible that Mack's has higher ingredients costs. Also, as I understand it, Mack's is only open three months a year. To the extent that Mack's has expenses, like lease expenses or labor costs, that are incurred the entire year and not just for the three months, along with annual start up and shut down expenses, that could account for and justify the higher pizza prices.

Peter

Peter,

I know some people do say that Mack’s pizza is too oily or greasy, but then there are others that love it.  Even Adam Kuban’s wife doesn’t like how oily or greasy Mack’s pies are.  Adam even admitted it himself that he now is a convert to Mack’s pizza even if he didn’t think it was as good before.  There is something about that oily greasy stuff either you like or don’t like.  For me, I think I like it because I have remembered it that way for a long while and also that special tang just gives the whole pizza a better taste for some reason.

Mack’s usually gets a lot of return vacationers that do like their pizzas.  Mack’s is always really busy in the summer.  The one Mack’s location in the middle of the boardwalk is open all year.  The one in Wildwood Crest is not open all year.  There are so many pizza businesses on the boardwalk in Wildwood and you never see any of them really busy except Mack’s and Sam’s.  I think Mack’s does enough business in the summer to make up for the winter months when their one location is closed.  If I recall correctly the slices at Mack’s are 2.75.  I didn’t think that was too bad, for a big slice. I also think a 18” whole pizza is around 15.00.  I think Mack’s prices are in line with all the other boardwalk pizzas that are decent.   

Interesting when you looked up Swiss cheese it does such a high fat amount.  Lol, you purchased some Crystal Farms Swiss cheese today.  :-D I will be interested in your taste and bake tests to see how Swiss cheese performs in relation to mozzarella and cheddar cheeses in how Swiss does or does not oil off.  The price of your Crystal Farms Swiss cheese is exactly the same price as the Great Lakes cheddar that my daughter purchased for me last evening at Shop Rite.

I did try a Swiss cheese with mozzarella blend at Reply 23 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16823.msg164269.html#msg164269 and as you can see that cheese blend really didn’t oil off that much.  I really don’t know what brand of Swiss cheese that brand was because I purchased it from a meat and cheese stand at market.  It was a good Swiss cheese though.  I think that blend was about 50/50 and it sure didn’t remind me of the taste of Mack’s pizza at all, but then there was no cheddar added.  If Joey Mack only uses white cheddar why wouldn’t Mack’s and Manco & Manco do the same thing?

My daughter asked me Thursday evening where I wanted to go that was pizza related since she wants to drive her new car.  I said right now, not really anywhere.  Wait till she returns home and finds out where I want to go now.   :-D

Norma

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1068 on: June 09, 2012, 02:55:22 PM »
You wouldn't go without me, would you? :'( :-D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1069 on: June 09, 2012, 03:04:35 PM »
You wouldn't go without me, would you? :'( :-D

Steve,

We can go together if you want.  I wouldn't go without you if you wanted to go on a road trip.  Good to have a "body guard" along also, especially in Philly!  :-D

Norma

Offline BOARDWALKER

« Reply #1070 on: June 09, 2012, 10:25:55 PM »
On the subject of Joey Mack's in South Philly.  It is a horrible, dirty, hole in the wall on Oregon Ave.  His pies are a lot cheaper than the boardwalk Mack's, but that's where it's virtues end.   Last time that i was there, in November, i ordered two plain pies and Joey told me to sit at a table.  He took two pre-made pies out a grease saturated box and threw them in his small  electric non-commercial ovens.  The pies taste nothing like Mack's on the boardwalk, they are bland and very oily.    He even writes "Mack's" on a standard pizza box with a black magic marker.  Most South Philadelphians avoid the place

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1071 on: June 09, 2012, 10:37:10 PM »
On the subject of Joey Mack's in South Philly.  It is a horrible, dirty, hole in the wall on Oregon Ave.  His pies are a lot cheaper than the boardwalk Mack's, but that's where it's virtues end.   Last time that i was there, in November, i ordered two plain pies and Joey told me to sit at a table.  He took two pre-made pies out a grease saturated box and threw them in his small  electric non-commercial ovens.  The pies taste nothing like Mack's on the boardwalk, they are bland and very oily.    He even writes "Mack's" on a standard pizza box with a black magic marker.  Most South Philadelphians avoid the place

BOARDWALKER,

Thanks for posting about Joey Mack’s in South Philly.  I had some hopes that maybe his pies would taste like Mack’s and also he would use the same cheese.  Do you know if Joey Mack uses the same cheese as Mack’s does?

I did read some reviews that Joey Mack’s was dirty, but didn’t know he didn’t bake in regular deck ovens.  Thanks for the tip!

Norma

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #1072 on: June 10, 2012, 10:14:09 AM »
Norma

I picked up some Great Lakes cheddar today and IMHO there's nothing special about it. I was kind of surprised to see that both their sharp and ex-sharp were orange rather than white. Most premium cheddars are presented in their white version, seldom see primo cheddar in orange. Even the ex-sharp was kinda mild tasting, I'd much rather have one of Cabot's or McCadam's cheeses over this. I have a pound of ex-sharp, a pound of sharp, a half pound of mild cheddar and a half pound of Monterey Jack. Looks like mac n cheese will be on the menu this week. :(

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1073 on: June 10, 2012, 11:55:35 AM »
Norma

I picked up some Great Lakes cheddar today and IMHO there's nothing special about it. I was kind of surprised to see that both their sharp and ex-sharp were orange rather than white. Most premium cheddars are presented in their white version, seldom see primo cheddar in orange. Even the ex-sharp was kinda mild tasting, I'd much rather have one of Cabot's or McCadam's cheeses over this. I have a pound of ex-sharp, a pound of sharp, a half pound of mild cheddar and a half pound of Monterey Jack. Looks like mac n cheese will be on the menu this week. :(

Dave,

My daughter picked me up some Great Lakes white cheddar in Wildwood and will be bringing it home today.  I have also tried Cabot's on this thread. 

Sorry you didn't like the taste of the Great Lakes cheddar.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1074 on: June 10, 2012, 11:56:06 AM »
I will be interested in your taste and bake tests to see how Swiss cheese performs in relation to mozzarella and cheddar cheeses in how Swiss does or does not oil off.

Norma,

I ran a few tests using the low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese, the mild cheddar cheese (it was orange from the annatto coloring), and Swiss cheese. All three cheeses are the Crystal Farms brand and have the fat profiles as previously mentioned.

For the first test, I shredded maybe a couple of grams of each of the three cheeses just to sample them raw and compare their flavors. The three cheeses had distinctive flavors, with the mozzarella cheese being the mildest tasting, followed by the Swiss cheese, and, lastly, the cheddar cheese, which had the strongest flavor. I also made a blend of the three cheeses, with about 4 grams of each, and tasted that blend raw. That blend had a distinctive flavor profile that was unlike any of the individual cheeses but the cheese that stood out the most was the cheddar cheese. For comparison purposes, I made a similar blend and baked it in a pie tin in my countertop toaster oven at around 350 degrees F until the blend melted, about 4 minutes. I then tasted that cooked blend. Again, the blend had its own unique flavor profile but it was clear that the cheddar cheese and the Swiss cheese dominated the flavor. However, I can't really say that I could detect the Swiss cheese as such, only that there was a flavor in the blend that was different and stronger than the flavor of the mozzarella cheese. I don't think that I would have been able to pick out the Swiss cheese in a blind test, at least at the level of that cheese in the blend I made.

As the above bake test was being conducted, I also looked for the degree of oiling off of the cheese blend. There was clearly some oiling off, with some fat on the top surface of the cheese blend and also under the cheese blend, but, at the amounts of cheeses used in the blend, the oiling off was not all that much. To get a better sense of the oiling off propensity of each cheese, I conducted another test. For that test, I shredded about 7 grams of each of the three cheeses and formed them into small mounds that were placed in my pie tin with a fair amount of spacing between the mounds. I baked the three cheeses and then observed the oiling off of the three cheeses. The mozzarella cheese had the least oiling off, followed by the Swiss cheese and, lastly, the cheddar cheese (the oil had an orange tint), which had the most oiling off. These results would seem to suggest that high fat cheeses have a greater tendency to oil off than cheeses with lower amounts of fat. However, there are other factors that might be implicated. For example, the three cheeses also contain different amounts of moisture. There was no way for me to calculate the water content of the three cheeses that I used, because the Nutrition Facts do not specify those numbers, but the generic numbers for the water content is different for the three cheeses. For example, a generic low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese contains about 46% water, generic cheddar cheese contains about 37% water, and Swiss cheese likewise contains about 37% water. Even if water content is a factor in the way that cheeses oil off, the fact remains that the cheeses with the highest fat contents appear to oil off the most.

I think the best and truest test would be to make a pizza with a blend of the three cheeses. Maybe a blend with equal amounts of the three cheeses, or maybe with an overweighting of the Swiss cheese, would be a good place to start, mainly to see which flavors dominate and also to see if the Swiss cheese can be detected in the baked pizza. If it can't, especially in a blind test, then one would have to question whether Mack's would be using such a cheese in a blend for its pizzas. Of course, this is a logical conclusion that might not hold up in the real world in the case of Mack's.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 12:38:54 PM by Pete-zza »