Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 178738 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #1080 on: June 10, 2012, 05:32:48 PM »

My daughter is home now and this is what the Great Lakes White Sharp Cheddar looks like that she purchased in Wildwood.  The total fat content is 14%.  I tried different cheddars before on a Mackís attempt and most of the time after the bake the cheddar taste changed.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #1081 on: June 10, 2012, 06:37:46 PM »
The white was mild cheddar, at least in my neck of the woods.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1082 on: June 10, 2012, 08:15:22 PM »
The white was mild cheddar, at least in my neck of the woods.

Dave,

Different areas of the country must sell different colors of cheddar, as Peter reported before he does have problems finding some cheddars in the white form.  

This is an article about oiling off of mozzarella and cheddar.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0260877403001870

Norma
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 08:17:29 PM by norma427 »

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #1083 on: June 10, 2012, 08:32:30 PM »
I wonder why they make both colors and sell different ones in different ares? Was the sharp and ex-sharp good or were they kinda mild?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1084 on: June 10, 2012, 09:04:14 PM »
I wonder why they make both colors and sell different ones in different ares? Was the sharp and ex-sharp good or were they kinda mild?

Dave,

I really donít know why they make both colors of cheddars.  I do know different areas of the country might like yellow cheddars, or a blend, for something like Tacos, or Mexican food.  I think I read somewhere that it doesnít matter if the cheddar is white or yellow in the taste of the cheddar though.    

Wow, to answer you question about the if the sharp and extra-sharp were good or were they kind of mild is a tough question to answer.  In our area there are so many kinds of white cheddars that some are very sharp and some are not.  I did taste the cheddar my daughter brought back and thought it did kind of have a tang and was good, but since all of our tastes are different, maybe you wouldnít have thought the same thing.  I really donít think the Great Lakes is really sharp in comparison to some other cheddars I have tasted.  I have some State Brand of white cheddar at market now and think it almost like the Great Lakes in taste, but they both might melt differently and taste different when baked on a pizza.  I am not sure what fat content the State Brand is.  I am going to wait until next week to make an attempt on another Mackís pizza.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1085 on: June 10, 2012, 09:20:40 PM »
Norma,

You are correct about the white and orange cheddar cheeses tasting the same. I reported this recently after reading the FAQs at the Crystal Farms website at http://www.crystalfarmscheese.com/faq/. Note the question under Cheese FAQs about the differences between the white and yellow/orange cheddar cheeses.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1086 on: June 10, 2012, 10:00:24 PM »
Norma,

You are correct about the white and orange cheddar cheeses tasting the same. I reported this recently after reading the FAQs at the Crystal Farms website at http://www.crystalfarmscheese.com/faq/. Note the question under Cheese FAQs about the differences between the white and yellow/orange cheddar cheeses.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for posting the link again after you read the FAQs at the Crystal Farms website.  I see there is no difference in taste in the white and yellow cheddars.  I think I read somewhere on the web that cheeses were different colors from different times of the year and from what the cows ate.  I think that is why they started adding Annatto, to even up the color of the cheeses.

Norma

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #1087 on: June 10, 2012, 10:42:29 PM »
The orange is just food coloring added to the cheese. Orange cheese is very popular in Canada. I spend a lot of time in extreme northern NY where cheese curds are very popular (and good). Just about all are white, but if you cross the boarder to Canada you will seldom find white cheese curds, they are almost always orange. Funny how different areas prefer different things. Bottom line, orange or white I still prefer a lot of other brands over Great Lakes. ::)

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #1088 on: June 10, 2012, 10:47:57 PM »
Norma

I just noticed that your packages are a little different then mine on the Great Lakes cheese. My packages say New York under the word natural, and are aged 9 months. Yours just say natural and state they are aged 6 months. Hard to compare two diffferent products.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1089 on: June 11, 2012, 08:11:05 AM »
Dave,

I donít know if you read desant89ís Reply at 976 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg179771/topicseen.html#msg179771 or not, but he was given a sample of Great Lakes cheddar.  In Reply 971 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg179103.html#msg179103 desant89 posted that it might be a 100% brand of cheddar that Manco & Manco uses.  Desant89 tried out the Great Lakes cheddar and did like that cheddar on a pie, but didnít say it tasted exactly like a Manco & Manco pizza.  I donít know if what is sold at the retail level is the same as what is sold though distributors.  Since your cheddar was yellow and aged a different amount of time, I am sure Great Lakes makes many types of cheddar both for retail and only sold only though distributors.  If you look at other posts in the same area as the above posts you can see more what was posted, if you didnĎt already read those posts.  

If Annatto is looked at in Wikipedia it can been seen that Annatto is added to cheese to make it the yellow color.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annatto  It can also be seen why they started adding Annatto to cheese.

I am going to try the Great Lakes cheddar on a Mackís attempt either next week or the following week.

Norma
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 08:12:43 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1090 on: June 11, 2012, 11:34:30 AM »
These are the two pictures my daughter took with her cell phone inside Mack in Wildwood Crest.  This Mackís was the newly remodeled one.  It can be seen how greasy the pepperoni slice was, but my daughter, like me, likes that greasy goodness.  I sure wish I could have at least had a bite of that slice.  ;D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1091 on: June 11, 2012, 11:35:24 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1092 on: June 11, 2012, 06:37:42 PM »
Later this afternoon while I was at market, I received a phone call from Steve at ConAgra Foods.  He said he was on his way to bring me the sample of MFB and he was coming to where I lived.  I told him I was at market and asked him if he could bring the MFB to market.  I was surprised that the sample was a 50 lb. sample of MFB.  I hadnít received any other emails or phone calls from Steve, so really didnít think I would get a sample of MFB. 

Steve was a very interesting man to talk to and he asked me about my dough, sauce and what cheeses I use on my pizzas.  I told him the brand of sauce I use and he said that is the best and is hard to beat. He did taste my sauce and said it was very good.  He also tasted my blend of cheeses and really liked them too.  I didnít know ConAgra Foods carries Saputo cheese.  Steve said they also has a gold Saputo that is just about like Grande cheese.  I didnít know ConAgra Foods also carried frozen dough balls.  We talked about different kinds of blends of cheeses and what some pizzerias use.  I wish I would have had more time to talk to Steve, but 5:00 pm approached fast.

Now what I am wondering if I can just melt the MFB and use it in the same weights in the formulation as olive oil or other oils.  I would guess it would be something like lard.  I did ask Steve what adjustments I would need to make when using the MFB for pizza dough, but he didnít know.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1093 on: June 11, 2012, 06:38:05 PM »
Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1094 on: June 11, 2012, 07:53:05 PM »
Now what I am wondering if I can just melt the MFB and use it in the same weights in the formulation as olive oil or other oils.  I would guess it would be something like lard.  I did ask Steve what adjustments I would need to make when using the MFB for pizza dough, but he didnít know.

Norma

Norma,

You should be able to replace the oil in the dough formulation with the MFB on an equal-weight basis. Since the product is essentially a shortening, it contains no water so you shouldn't have to make any hydration adjustments. I think you should be able to use the MFB in either the solid or melted state, but I think I would go with the solid state. I say that because the solid MFB should create air pockets in the dough as it melts during baking. I think that is what is intended by Wesson.

I found the ingredients list and nutrition information for the MFB at http://www.conagrafoodservice.com/ProductDetail.do;jsessionid=33758431EC0708E4DE08D2E6B1E31816?productUpc=2700073651. You might ask for the specs for the product in case you need them.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 08:05:32 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1095 on: June 11, 2012, 08:55:23 PM »
Norma,

You should be able to replace the oil in the dough formulation with the MFB on an equal-weight basis. Since the product is essentially a shortening, it contains no water so you shouldn't have to make any hydration adjustments. I think you should be able to use the MFB in either the solid or melted state, but I think I would go with the solid state. I say that because the solid MFB should create air pockets in the dough as it melts during baking. I think that is what is intended by Wesson.

I found the ingredients list and nutrition information for the MFB at http://www.conagrafoodservice.com/ProductDetail.do;jsessionid=33758431EC0708E4DE08D2E6B1E31816?productUpc=2700073651. You might ask for the specs for the product in case you need them.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for posting that I should be able to replace the oil in the dough formulations with the MFB on an equal-weight basis and finding the link for the ingredients list and nutrition information.  It sounds interesting that the solid MFB should create air pockets in dough as it melts during baking.  I will try to get specs for the MFB in case I need them.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1096 on: June 17, 2012, 05:56:41 PM »
Another Mackís attempted dough was mixed today with the same formulation I used the last time, but this time the MFB was substituted for oil in the formula.  I didnít melt the MFB, but just added it to the flour.  The dough mixed well in my Kitchen Aid mixer on speed 1. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1097 on: June 18, 2012, 05:58:43 PM »
I had asked Steve from ConAgra for spec sheets for the MFB.  This is all he sent me. This sheet doesnít show anymore than what the box did.  Is there anything else I should try to find out about the MFB?  Steve is from ACOSTA Venture Sales Group.  I never heard of the ACOSTA Venture Sales Group.  I guess this is who the Acosta Venture Sales Group is.  http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20120315006211/en/Acosta-Sales-Marketing-Enters-Food-Service-Channel

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1098 on: June 19, 2012, 09:32:44 PM »
Steve and I made the Mackís attempt at the very end of the day, because we were busy the rest of the day and also were trying to fit in other experiments.  We were out of regular dough balls and Steve had mixed the Gangi sauce and shredded the Great Lakes white cheddar.  The Mackís clone dough ball was left out to ferment longer than I wanted and it was warm at market.  The dough ball did open up very easily.  Being tried, I forgot to press on the dough ball at all.  I just opened the dough ball normally.  After the pizza was dressed and in the oven, I remembered when I first looked in the oven and saw the rim rising, that I had forgot to press on the dough ball before I opened it. 

The Mackís attempt did give me some surprises though, one in that there was good oven spring, the taste of the crust was better than usual, the crumb had a much different texture, and the bottom crust wasnít as crispy as normal.  Steve and I really liked this Mackís attempt even though the crust wasnít right.  We both thought the crust was really different. 

The Gangi sauce and the Great Lakes white cheddar really went together well too.  The cheese wasnít as greasy like a Mackís pizza is and the tang wasnít enough, but Steve and I both thought it tasted as good, or better than a Mackís pizza.  The pizza did taste something like a Mackís pizza.

I donít know if the MBF made that much of a difference in the crust, but this pizza in texture and taste werenít anything like my attempts with the same formulation.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1099 on: June 19, 2012, 09:33:35 PM »
Norma

pizzapan