Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 151859 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #1160 on: July 15, 2012, 12:35:10 PM »
Norma,

I never heard of Papa Dino's until you mentioned it in the early post I referenced and, more recently, by Pete. My brain is locked onto Papa Gino's, not Papa Dino's :D. In any event, it is all moot at this point.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1161 on: July 15, 2012, 01:28:13 PM »
Norma,

I never heard of Papa Dino's until you mentioned it in the early post I referenced and, more recently, by Pete. My brain is locked onto Papa Gino's, not Papa Dino's :D. In any event, it is all moot at this point.

Peter

Peter,

My brain is almost the exact opposite of what yours is.  I had played around with your Papa Gino’s formulation on the soaker/epoxy thread and think that is why I had typed Papa Gino’s (that I had to edit) instead of Papa Dino’s.  At least I will blame my errors on that.   :angel:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #1162 on: July 15, 2012, 09:37:32 PM »
I think Peter would try to stay away from that thread if we try to recreate one of their pizzas.   :-D

LOLOLOL Norma!!!  We might have better luck asking one of the Groffs.   :-D  :-D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1163 on: July 15, 2012, 09:57:43 PM »
LOLOLOL Norma!!!  We might have better luck asking one of the Groffs.   :-D  :-D

Pete,

Usually insiders can give more information about what ingredients are in their pizzas, brands of cheeses, flour, etc., but I don't think the Groff's would be willing to give out that kind of information, just like Mack's isn't willing to give out that kind of information.  It is all about what makes each type of pizza unique.   8)  I guess it would take some DD.  There are also no Nutrition Facts for either pizza.

Norma 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1164 on: July 17, 2012, 07:12:43 AM »
I thought this was an interesting article about Wildwood as a funhouse of history, even though it has no mention of Mack’s pizza.  I even learned to do the “twist” by Chubby Checker in Wildwood and of course ate my first Mack’s pizza there.   I can never forget “Under the Boardwalk” either.  Oh, what wonderful memories!  :P

http://www.mcall.com/travel/daytrips/mc-wildwood-doo-wop-0715-20120714,0,4728874.story

http://www.mcall.com/travel/daytrips/mc-wildwood-doo-wop-0715-20120714,0,4728874.story?page=2

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1165 on: July 22, 2012, 08:06:03 AM »
My oldest daughter visited Seaside Heights, NJ and Ocean City, NJ yesterday.  She ate two slices of Manco and Manco pepperoni pizza in Ocean City yesterday.  Before she came home, she purchased me two slices of Manco and Manco regular cheese slices.  My youngest daughter and her family had came to visit me last evening for some home made soup I had made. 

To try and explain what I am going to post is that I had purchased a Papa Dino’s pizza in the last few days and my oldest daughter and youngest daughter had tasted slices from Papa Dino‘s.  Last evening my youngest daughter also had a slice of the Manco and Manco pizza.  My oldest daughter, youngest daughter and I all thought the Manco and Manco slices tasted almost exactly the same as the Papa Dino’s slices, even with the differences of the sauce (Papa Dino’s pizza sauce is different) and the differences in the crusts (Papa Dino’s crust is a little thicker and has a heavier texture, if I can explain that right).  I sure don’t know, but would think that it is the cheese that makes the Mack’s, Manco and Manco and Papa Dino’s pizzas all taste almost exactly the same. 

I also noted again, that there really doesn’t appear to be a lot of sauce on a Manco and Manco pizza and the sauce looks like it was applied with a thinner sauce than I have been applying in my attempts.   

My oldest daughter said her slices where greasier when she had them at Manco and Manco.  I know when eating a fresh slice of Manco and Manco and Mack’s s they are greasier than when they are reheated.  The same thing applied last evening when reheating the slices in my home oven. 

I don’t know if anyone can explain why the Manco and Manco rim crust seem to be lighter than a Papa Dino’s slice though.  The Manco and Manco slice I ate last evening was much lighter in texture (although it didn’t have more oven spring), than the slices of Papa Dino’s I ate.  I really don’t think it was the TF of the Papa Dino’s slices I ate, but really don’t know if it was the TF or overall hydration of the two different slices.

I sure don’t know, but think eating slices of Manco and Manco pizza and also eating slices of Papa Dino’s pizzas in a matter of a couple of days, at least my daughters and I should be able to compare both pizzas in their tastes.

The pictures below are non reheated slices first and the last two pictures are reheated slices.  My daughter also send me a text with a picture of the slices she ate at Manco and Manco yesterday, (while she was at Manco and Manco) but I didn’t get that picture transferred to my email account.

I know I am posting about Papa Dino’s on this thread and really shouldn’t (because it isn’t a boardwalk pizza), but I wanted to note how they both tasted almost the same.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1166 on: July 22, 2012, 08:07:40 AM »
Norma
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 08:10:29 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1167 on: July 22, 2012, 08:08:47 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1168 on: July 22, 2012, 08:09:31 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1169 on: July 22, 2012, 04:06:36 PM »
These are the slices of pepperoni pizza my daughter had at Manco and Manco when they were still hot yesterday.  She took this picture with her cellphone.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1170 on: August 06, 2012, 06:48:55 PM »
These are the pictures of the 2 slices of Mack’s pizza my daughter brought me back from Mack’s on Saturday night.  I think I have the sauce consistency down a little bit better after playing around with Papa Dino’s sauce.  Now I wonder if my TF shouldn’t be lowered.  These slices were very thin.  I have been using a TF of .0838576 and I also think that is too thick now.  I did really just taste the crust plain, (without the sauce and cheese) and the crust seems really bland.  I don’t know, but don’t think Mack’s uses much salt in their dough.  The crumb also was very bready. I am also wondering if the oil amount also might need to be lowered.

My daughter and her friend purchased their slices at the Mack’s in the middle of the boardwalk, and purchased my slices in Wildwood Crest before they left Wildwood.  She said she watched at the middle of the boardwalk location and those pies looked like they were coming out of the oven and looked the same.  She said she also watched at the Wildwood location and those pies all looked different, with some with better rim crust browning and also darker bottom crusts.  The slices she brought home for me were very light colored in the rim and also the bottom crust.

Any ideas of what to change?

I will try to post the picture also of the slices she had, if I can.

Edit:  I can't post the picture of the slices my daughter had.  They were from a cellphone and think the format is wrong for the forum.

Norma
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 06:52:38 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1171 on: August 06, 2012, 06:49:49 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1172 on: August 06, 2012, 06:51:03 PM »
Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #1173 on: August 07, 2012, 11:16:16 AM »
Mack's looks like it's suffering from some consistency problems as well, Norma.  LOL   :)

Speaking of which, just be careful when you thin out the sauce that you don't make it excessively wet.  Back in the old days, every once and awhile we'd get Papa Dino's pies from the Lebanon location where the sauce and cheese had homogenized together into one big gooey mess which looked like something we already ate.  This was another factor in the origin of the "slime" half of our "Slime and Grime" moniker we had assigned to the pizza besides the standard oiling out of the cheese.  In those instances, I believe the sauce was just too watery.   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1174 on: August 07, 2012, 10:16:16 PM »
Mack's looks like it's suffering from some consistency problems as well, Norma.  LOL   :)

Speaking of which, just be careful when you thin out the sauce that you don't make it excessively wet.  Back in the old days, every once and awhile we'd get Papa Dino's pies from the Lebanon location where the sauce and cheese had homogenized together into one big gooey mess which looked like something we already ate.  This was another factor in the origin of the "slime" half of our "Slime and Grime" moniker we had assigned to the pizza besides the standard oiling out of the cheese.  In those instances, I believe the sauce was just too watery.   ;D

Pete,

Yup, it does look like Mack’s is having consistency issues.  :( I have read in reviews they did, but never saw them myself. 

I will try to be careful when I thin out the Gangi sauce.  I wonder about the sauce being to thin if that did make the pizza look like a gooey mess.  ::) Today I made a mystery pizza and used a lot of cheddar on that pizza.  After it was baked, Steve said it looked like someone barfed on that pizza.  :-X  :-D He was right.  ;D That pizza had my regular sauce on which is thicker, but maybe too much cheddar.  It makes me wonder if too much cheddar is used if that also makes a pizza not look right. 

I still am having problems of not knowing how to change the dough for another Mack’s attempt. 

Norma   

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1175 on: August 08, 2012, 08:14:28 AM »
I still am having problems of not knowing how to change the dough for another Mack’s attempt. 

Norma,

You might try just lowering the thickness factor and see if that gets you closer to the results you are looking for. That might also correct the breadiness problem you mentioned by creating a smaller rim when forming the skin. If you think that you have been using too much salt, then that can also be reduced. For now, I think I would leave the oil quantity alone. That is something that can be addressed later if need be.

In some respects, you may be chasing a moving target because of the lack of uniformity and consistency of the Mack's pizzas. So, it is perhaps better to capture in your own mind what characteristics of the Mack's pizzas you want and strive to achieve them as best your can. Otherwise, you will be chasing your tail all the time. It's too bad that you can't just buy a dough ball. That would tell us a lot.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1176 on: August 08, 2012, 11:20:01 AM »
Norma,

You might try just lowering the thickness factor and see if that gets you closer to the results you are looking for. That might also correct the breadiness problem you mentioned by creating a smaller rim when forming the skin. If you think that you have been using too much salt, then that can also be reduced. For now, I think I would leave the oil quantity alone. That is something that can be addressed later if need be.

In some respects, you may be chasing a moving target because of the lack of uniformity and consistency of the Mack's pizzas. So, it is perhaps better to capture in your own mind what characteristics of the Mack's pizzas you want and strive to achieve them as best your can. Otherwise, you will be chasing your tail all the time. It's too bad that you can't just buy a dough ball. That would tell us a lot.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for telling me to just lower the TF for my next attempt.  I have no idea of how hot the oven was running when my daughter purchased me those slices, but they sure were different than what I had before.  The sauce and cheese taste were there, but the crust wasn’t.  I picked those two slices apart really well.  I really like the salt amount in your formulation, so I don’t think I would change that.  

I know I might be chasing a moving target, because the last two slices I had were sure different than what I had at Mack’s before.  My daughter told me she asked for two slices to bring home.  The man that waited on her just put the two slices on paper plates.  She then asked for a box.  She said the man just shoved the two slices in the box,  That is how part of the cheese and sauce came off part of the one slice at the edge.  

I would like to move closer to a real Mack’s pizza, but think the sauce and cheese are the most important issues right now.  I would be satisfied if my crust ended up tasting better than a real Mack’s pizza.

I know being able to have a real Mack’s dough ball could tell us a lot.  I might be going to Wildwood in September if everything works out.  I don’t think Mack’s will sell a dough ball though.  I tried purchasing one before.  

Norma

Offline jkb

« Reply #1177 on: August 11, 2012, 06:03:48 AM »
I'm heading down to Cape May on the14th.  Last year, the pizza destination was Mack's.  This year it's M&M in OC.  I also want to stop in Seaside on the way home and get a slice from the Sawmill.  I have fond memories from back in my 20's getting a giant slice from a 27" pie and a Coke for $1.25.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 06:22:29 AM by jkb »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1178 on: August 11, 2012, 08:54:26 AM »
I'm heading down to Cape May on the14th.  Last year, the pizza destination was Mack's.  This year it's M&M in OC.  I also want to stop in Seaside on the way home and get a slice from the Sawmill.  I have fond memories from back in my 20's getting a giant slice from a 27" pie and a Coke for $1.25.

jkb,

I will be interested in how you compare Mack's pizza to Manco and Manco.  I think they taste almost the same, but are a little different.  This year was the first time I tasted a Manco and Manco pizza. 

Wow, I don't think I ever saw a 27" pizza.  :o  That sure is a big pizza.   :-D

I don't think Manco and Manco sells dough balls, but maybe if you like, you could ask.  Getting a hold of dough, or a dough ball could give us more information.

Have a fun time at the the shore!  ;D

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1179 on: August 12, 2012, 10:27:38 AM »
I was reading an article on America's Best Boardwalks, and Wildwood is on the list: http://www.smartertravel.com/photo-galleries/editorial/americas-best-boardwalks.html?id=190&photo=25822&max_photos=7. I was looking at the Wildwood photo to see if I could spot Norma dumpster diving, but I could not find that.

Wildwood is the only NJ boardwald on the list.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 05:08:05 PM by Pete-zza »