Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 173388 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #1420 on: September 12, 2012, 09:29:30 AM »
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1421 on: September 12, 2012, 09:30:11 AM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1422 on: September 12, 2012, 09:30:45 AM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1423 on: September 12, 2012, 09:31:26 AM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1424 on: September 12, 2012, 09:32:08 AM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1425 on: September 12, 2012, 09:32:54 AM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1426 on: September 12, 2012, 09:34:33 AM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1427 on: September 12, 2012, 09:35:21 AM »
Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1428 on: September 12, 2012, 10:11:57 AM »
Norma,

To be sure I understood what you did, you used the Mack's clone formulation exactly as given at Reply 307 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg99472.html#msg99472, except that you increased the amount of IDY, and you scaled the final dough ball weight to 20 ounces. That would have avoided the need to recalculate the amount of VWG to use. If all of this is correct, what amount of IDY did you end up using? Also, what was the duration of the cold fermentation?

I calculate that the unbaked pizza weight was 20 ounces (dough ball) + 10 ounces (cheese) + 8.5 ounces (sauce) = 38.5 ounces. Does that sound about right?

The pizza looks very good but to my eye the crust looks a bit lighter in color than the other Mack clones that you have made. Is that your take also?

Did you and Steve deem the latest Mack's clone to be worthy enough for our members with retail level products to attempt, assuming they purchase the white cheddar cheese from Nasonville? Or did the 10 ounces of cheese seem too much?

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1429 on: September 12, 2012, 10:56:41 AM »
Norma,

To be sure I understood what you did, you used the Mack's clone formulation exactly as given at Reply 307 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg99472.html#msg99472, except that you increased the amount of IDY, and you scaled the final dough ball weight to 20 ounces. That would have avoided the need to recalculate the amount of VWG to use. If all of this is correct, what amount of IDY did you end up using? Also, what was the duration of the cold fermentation?

I calculate that the unbaked pizza weight was 20 ounces (dough ball) + 10 ounces (cheese) + 8.5 ounces (sauce) = 38.5 ounces. Does that sound about right?

The pizza looks very good but to my eye the crust looks a bit lighter in color than the other Mack clones that you have made. Is that your take also?

Did you and Steve deem the latest Mack's clone to be worthy enough for our members with retail level products to attempt, assuming they purchase the white cheddar cheese from Nasonville? Or did the 10 ounces of cheese seem too much?

Peter

Peter,

You are correct that I used your formulation at Reply 307
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg99472.html#msg99472  but upped the amount of IDY by just one gram.  You can see my dough ball didnít ferment a lot in about the 27 hours that it cold fermented.  My pizza prep fridge is also running colder right now.  I warmed-up the dough for about 1 hr. 15 mintues at market.  It was a lot cooler at market yesterday, so the dough ball didnít rise much more in that amount of time, if any. 

Since I didnít use my digital scales to weight the cheese and sauce, those amounts might not be exactly right.  There also was a little sauce left in the plastic squeeze bottle. 

The pizza was a little lighter in color in the rim crust, but not a lot.  I donít know why the rim would have been a little lighter. 

I am not sure about members wanting to try the whole formulation and cheese from Nasonville yet.  I am not even sure if 10 ounces of cheese is too much.  I want to purchase some of the Nasonville 3 month old aged white cheddar to try, (instead of the 1 year old aged cheddar) but want to first see if I can get my shipping amount of the cheddars I did purchase straightened out.  I donít really think using less cheese is the solution right now, but donít really know.

I also used Greek dried oregano in the Gangi sauce before and just used the plain dried oregano yesterday.  The Greek dried oregano gave the Gangi sauce a better taste, but I was just trying to use regular oregano in the paste so it might be easier for members to get if they want to try out a Mackís clone. 

I am not sure what to try next.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1430 on: September 12, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
Norma,

In your last post, I assume that you meant the Great Value sauce, not the Gangi sauce.

Based on your baked pizza weight, the loss during baking was 11.23%-11.65% (based on the two numbers you provided). Applying the 11.65% number to the Mack's oven and the Mack's cooled-down pizza that Pied Piper purchased from Mack's, with a baked pizza weight of 34.78 ounces, the pre-baked weight of the Pied Piper Mack's pizza would be 39.36 ounces, or about 0.86 ounces more than your 38.5 ounce number. Of course, this is just speculation at this point (pending a future purchase of a Mack's 18" cheese pizza) but the numbers seem to suggest that Mack's oven and bake temperatures results in losses in the ballpark of your loss numbers.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1431 on: September 12, 2012, 12:07:25 PM »
Norma,

In your last post, I assume that you meant the Great Value sauce, not the Gangi sauce.

Based on your baked pizza weight, the loss during baking was 11.23%-11.65% (based on the two numbers you provided). Applying the 11.65% number to the Mack's oven and the Mack's cooled-down pizza that Pied Piper purchased from Mack's, with a baked pizza weight of 34.78 ounces, the pre-baked weight of the Pied Piper Mack's pizza would be 39.36 ounces, or about 0.86 ounces more than your 38.5 ounce number. Of course, this is just speculation at this point (pending a future purchase of a Mack's 18" cheese pizza) but the numbers seem to suggest that Mack's oven and bake temperatures results in losses in the ballpark of your loss numbers.

Peter

Peter,

In my last post I was trying to explain that I used Greek dried oregano (that I purchased at Bova Foods) in all my attempts with the Gangi sauce before.  When I used the Great Value paste yesterday with regular dried oregano, I am not sure if it was the regular oregano that didnít give the Great Value paste the right taste, or if it was because I didnít let the Great Value paste with oregano and other ingredients sit long enough to develop a better taste with the amount of oregano Steve put in the paste.  The Great Value paste did make a decent tasting sauce though, with the added ingredients.  I donít know which of us is mixed-up. :-D

Thanks for doing all the numbers again to show the comparison in weight losses.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1432 on: September 19, 2012, 07:50:41 AM »
Another attempt at a Mackís pizza was made yesterday using Peterís dough formulation with KABF and VWG.  The attempt tasted very good. 

The cheese tasted still isnít right, but was close.  I had planned on using the yellow one year old aged Nasonville cheddar 50/50 with some of the Nasonville white cheddar that I had purchased from Bova.  When I opened the package of the Nasonville 1 year old aged cheddar and went to cut it, immediately I could tell it didnít slice like the white one year old aged yellow cheddar from Nasonville (it felt drier and not as creamy).  I then cut slices for Steve and me to taste.  The yellow cheddar didnít taste anything like the white cheddar and wasnít even creamy like the white cheddar is.  I then aborted the plan to try the one year old aged Nasonville yellow cheddar with the white Nasonville cheddar.  Steve said I should still try it, but I said if it didnít taste the same, or if it wasnít as creamy, I didnít want to try it on this attempt.  I gave Steve half of the package of the one year old aged yellow cheddar to try on some macaroni and cheese.  I saved the other half for an attempt on another pizza for another week.  Steve said it might taste the same when baked, but I wasnít sure of that.  Steve then grated the AMPI mild white cheddar to blend with some Nasonville 1 year old aged white cheddar 50/50.  The blend of cheddars did bake well and almost had the same taste as a Mackís pizza, but some of the tang was missing.  I donít know what is up with the yellow cheddar not having the same taste, or not being as creamy as the white cheddar.  I never tried a yellow and white cheddar of the same brand before to see if there were any differences.

Steve added 1 more teaspoon of regular oregano to the same sauce we made last week with the Great Value paste.  The sauce was good baked on the pizza, but I thought it still could have used more oregano.  I really wonder how much oregano Mackís uses in their sauce.  If someone looks at pictures of real Mackís slices there appears to be a lot of oregano on those slices.  I used the same amount of sauce and cheddars as last week in weights. 

The dough ball opened very easily and I really pressed with my fingers so no bubbles would form while in the oven.  I tossed and twirled the skin different times.  I even pressed on the rim more when it was on the peel.  It still wanted to bubble some when in the oven.  I used my bubble popper to break those bubbles.  I also wonder how Mackís pizza doesnít have any bubbles.  Sometime in the future I might try not really pressing on the dough ball and rim and see what would happen when this dough is baked.  I think this dough would have a lot of oven spring. 

The bottom of the crust doesnít brown like a Mackís pizza in my oven either.  I would recommend this dough formulation and pizza to anyone to try, because it was really good, but it wasnít exactly like a Mackís pizza.

I didnít bother to weigh this pizza after the bake, because we really donít know a lot about how much a real Mackís pizza weighs uncut. 

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1433 on: September 19, 2012, 07:51:39 AM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1434 on: September 19, 2012, 07:52:32 AM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1435 on: September 19, 2012, 07:53:14 AM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1436 on: September 19, 2012, 07:54:15 AM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1437 on: September 23, 2012, 10:28:50 PM »
Peter,

I was in Wildwood today and did purchase a whole Mackís pizza that wasnít cut.  

I have to first explain some about what happened.  I think I already know the answer, but wanted to know what you think.  

I ordered a whole pie that wasnít cut and my daughter and I sat right in front on stools where the piemen usually open the dough balls, dress the pizzas and also slide the pizzas into the oven.  

Firstly, I didnít see any dough balls on the metal trays.  Secondly, I saw the piemen take one pizza out of the oven and then someone cut it for other customers that sat in the back of Mackís.  There were no other customers inside at Mackís. Wildwood at about dinner time was slow.  Earlier in the day it was a lot busier.

I was waiting for the piemen to get some dough balls, but didnít see them get any or open any.  In about 2 minutes the lady that had taken our order was given another pizza and she cut it.  I heard her then say, Oh, I forgot she doesnít want the pizza cut.  She then told the piemen she needed another pizza made.  My daughter and I both watched and didnít see any dough ball opened, dressed, or put into the oven in the front.  In about another minute my pizza was taken out of the oven on the side.  I couldnít figure out what was going on and all I did was take the boxed pizza to my daughterís car that we had parked in a paid parking lot right behind Mackís.  I really wasnít thinking clearly and all I thought about was weighing the pizza.  I had purchased a sand bucket in Wildwood and had taken a pizza screen and my scales along.  I put the scales on the macadam and then the sand bucket and the pizza screen on top of the sand bucket, then tared them out.  This was about 3 minutes from the time when I purchased the pizza.  I noted the weights being 2.22 lbs., or 962 grams (the pizza could have lost some weigh until I changed from ounces to grams).  I do have pictures of me weighing the pizza, but thought I would first post about what happened after that.  I examined the pizza carefully, took pictures and then cut it.  My daughter and I then ate some hot slices.  We both then started talking about what had happened inside of Mackís.  I said I didnít even see where they got those pizzas from and maybe they were already made and just reheated. My daughter and I either though that, or maybe they used a par-baked pizza.  I am not sure of those observations, but that is the only thing that makes sense to us now.  I sure donít know how they would have made the pizza any other way.  My daughter noted the temperature on the digital readout at 508 degrees F.

If this is what really happened and Mackís just reheated an already baked pizza, I donít think my weighing would be right.  If this is the case, I guess just I am disgusted, because then my weighs wouldnít be right.  :( I have pictures of the pizza and the rim crust and bottom crust sure donít look like they usually do.

What do you think, before I post any of the pictures, or tell more about the pizza I purchased at MackĎs?

Norma  
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 10:40:08 PM by norma427 »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1438 on: September 24, 2012, 06:35:03 AM »

I should have taken a picture of 3 slices of pizza sitting in a glass case at Olympic Flame.  I wasnít positive, at the time, but thought Olympic Flame took first place in the Wildwood Pizza Tour this year.  http://www.wildwoodpizzatour.com/olympic-flame/   No one was at Olympic Flame and the 3 slices looked dried out and sure didnít look like they had any character.  I only saw one employee inside Olympic Flame and the only food I saw there were the 3 slices of cold pizza.

These are the pictures of Mackís pizza unsliced, the weighings, autopsy and the two MackĎs locations.  I was too tired last evening to resize them, but maybe these pictures will help to analyze the pizza more.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1439 on: September 24, 2012, 06:37:08 AM »
Norma

pizzapan