Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 188618 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #1440 on: September 24, 2012, 06:38:36 AM »
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1441 on: September 24, 2012, 06:40:14 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1442 on: September 24, 2012, 06:42:10 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1443 on: September 24, 2012, 06:44:32 AM »
I forgot to mention this in my other post, but did take my pizza slicer along and did slice the pizza.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1444 on: September 24, 2012, 06:48:26 AM »
I really tasted and looked over different slices and can't be sure, but it seems to me that the oregano might be a stronger Greek oregano.  At least it tasted like that to me.  I do use stronger Greek oregano at market, but didn't when I used the Great Value sauce.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1445 on: September 24, 2012, 06:52:50 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1446 on: September 24, 2012, 07:12:17 AM »
If anyone is interested, these are some more pictures of the ocean at Wildwood, pictures at Cape May (with the sunken S.S. Atlantus concrete ship) and a stone I found while digging in the beach that I thought looked like a pizza.  ;D The water was warm in the ocean yesterday.  It was a beautiful day on the beaches of Wildwood and Cape May.  It wasnít too warm to walk for a long time on the boardwalk in Wildwood either.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1447 on: September 24, 2012, 07:13:26 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1448 on: September 24, 2012, 07:17:05 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1449 on: September 24, 2012, 07:17:53 AM »
Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1450 on: September 24, 2012, 10:12:52 AM »
I was in Wildwood today and did purchase a whole Mackís pizza that wasnít cut.  

I have to first explain some about what happened.  I think I already know the answer, but wanted to know what you think.  

I ordered a whole pie that wasnít cut and my daughter and I sat right in front on stools where the piemen usually open the dough balls, dress the pizzas and also slide the pizzas into the oven.  

Firstly, I didnít see any dough balls on the metal trays.  Secondly, I saw the piemen take one pizza out of the oven and then someone cut it for other customers that sat in the back of Mackís.  There were no other customers inside at Mackís. Wildwood at about dinner time was slow.  Earlier in the day it was a lot busier.

I was waiting for the piemen to get some dough balls, but didnít see them get any or open any.  In about 2 minutes the lady that had taken our order was given another pizza and she cut it.  I heard her then say, Oh, I forgot she doesnít want the pizza cut.  She then told the piemen she needed another pizza made.  My daughter and I both watched and didnít see any dough ball opened, dressed, or put into the oven in the front.  In about another minute my pizza was taken out of the oven on the side.  I couldnít figure out what was going on and all I did was take the boxed pizza to my daughterís car that we had parked in a paid parking lot right behind Mackís.  I really wasnít thinking clearly and all I thought about was weighing the pizza.  I had purchased a sand bucket in Wildwood and had taken a pizza screen and my scales along.  I put the scales on the macadam and then the sand bucket and the pizza screen on top of the sand bucket, then tared them out.  This was about 3 minutes from the time when I purchased the pizza.  I noted the weights being 2.22 lbs., or 962 grams (the pizza could have lost some weigh until I changed from ounces to grams).  I do have pictures of me weighing the pizza, but thought I would first post about what happened after that.  I examined the pizza carefully, took pictures and then cut it.  My daughter and I then ate some hot slices.  We both then started talking about what had happened inside of Mackís.  I said I didnít even see where they got those pizzas from and maybe they were already made and just reheated. My daughter and I either though that, or maybe they used a par-baked pizza.  I am not sure of those observations, but that is the only thing that makes sense to us now.  I sure donít know how they would have made the pizza any other way.  My daughter noted the temperature on the digital readout at 508 degrees F.

If this is what really happened and Mackís just reheated an already baked pizza, I donít think my weighing would be right.  If this is the case, I guess just I am disgusted, because then my weighs wouldnít be right.  :( I have pictures of the pizza and the rim crust and bottom crust sure donít look like they usually do.

What do you think, before I post any of the pictures, or tell more about the pizza I purchased at MackĎs?

Norma,

As the famous Scottish poet Robert Burns once wrote:

The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley,
And lea'e us nought but grief an' pain

I'm sure that you and your daughter had everything planned out such that you would have complete control of the situation. But, alas, it appears that your plans went astray when your pizza was made in a way that you did not anticipate. If I had to guess, your pizza may have been par-baked. You might recall that a couple of times in this thread it was mentioned that Mack's would partially bake certain pizzas and add the toppings (e.g., pepperoni) later and finish the bake. That may have been the fate of your pizza but without the toppings. 

I might add that the bottom crust seemed quite a bit darker than some of the other Mack's pizzas we have seen. And, to be honest, I think your Mack's clones look better than the one you purchased.

If we take the weights you got on your scale and do a few conversions, the range was 2.22 pounds to 2.14 pounds, or 35.52 ounces to 34.24 ounces. You might recall that the weight of the baked Mack's cheese pizza that Pied Piper purchased was 34.78 ounces. My speculation is that that was the weight of the pizza after it had cooled for a while before weighing but it does fall within the weight range of the latest Mack's pizza. For comparison purposes, my recollection from Reply 1420 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg209979.html#msg209979 is that your last Mack's clone cheese pizza weighed 2.126 pounds, or 34.02 ounces, after baking (the prebaked weight was 38.5 ounces). Of course, we still don't know what the starting (unbaked) weight of a Mack's 18" cheese pizza is. But at least we are in the ballpark in my opinion, at least with respect to the baked weight. We may also be wrong about the par-baking and what effect it might have had on the final weight after cooling. We just don't know what really happened. But I wouldn't get too upset about what happened. There will always be another time, or perhaps another member will be kind enough to buy an 18" cheese pizza from Mack's and weigh it for us. Maybe we also need to start a Help Norma fund to reimburse you for all the money you have put out to date for cheeses and flours and Mack's pizzas in your efforts to clone the Mack's pizza. In fact, if you ever nail the recipe and everything else, you might keep it a secret and sell it in a secure way on eBay for a lofty sum. Of course, I will also want a royalty for each copy of the recipe sold :-D.

You did not say, but how did the Mack's pizza taste?

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1451 on: September 24, 2012, 10:27:34 AM »
I think that's far out how all 3 of the baked pizza's Peter just talked about(including Norma's latest clone) all came in at the 34oz range. Almost kinda creepy  ;D  Norma, they had to have slipped a parbaked in on you...that bottom browning is way more than what I've seen here on your thread.
If I can come up with the right cheese will you also cut me in on the secret recipe eBay action? $$   :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1452 on: September 24, 2012, 10:55:48 AM »
Norma,

As the famous Scottish poet Robert Burns once wrote:

The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley,
And lea'e us nought but grief an' pain

I'm sure that you and your daughter had everything planned out such that you would have complete control of the situation. But, alas, it appears that your plans went astray when your pizza was made in a way that you did not anticipate. If I had to guess, your pizza may have been par-baked. You might recall that a couple of times in this thread it was mentioned that Mack's would partially bake certain pizzas and add the toppings (e.g., pepperoni) later and finish the bake. That may have been the fate of your pizza but without the toppings. 

I might add that the bottom crust seemed quite a bit darker than some of the other Mack's pizzas we have seen. And, to be honest, I think your Mack's clones look better than the one you purchased.

If we take the weights you got on your scale and do a few conversions, the range was 2.22 pounds to 2.14 pounds, or 35.52 ounces to 34.24 ounces. You might recall that the weight of the baked Mack's cheese pizza that Pied Piper purchased was 34.78 ounces. My speculation is that that was the weight of the pizza after it had cooled for a while before weighing but it does fall within the weight range of the latest Mack's pizza. For comparison purposes, my recollection from Reply 1420 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg209979.html#msg209979 is that your last Mack's clone cheese pizza weighed 2.126 pounds, or 34.02 ounces, after baking (the prebaked weight was 38.5 ounces). Of course, we still don't know what the starting (unbaked) weight of a Mack's 18" cheese pizza is. But at least we are in the ballpark in my opinion, at least with respect to the baked weight. We may also be wrong about the par-baking and what effect it might have had on the final weight after cooling. We just don't know what really happened. But I wouldn't get too upset about what happened. There will always be another time, or perhaps another member will be kind enough to buy an 18" cheese pizza from Mack's and weigh it for us. Maybe we also need to start a Help Norma fund to reimburse you for all the money you have put out to date for cheeses and flours and Mack's pizzas in your efforts to clone the Mack's pizza. In fact, if you ever nail the recipe and everything else, you might keep it a secret and sell it in a secure way on eBay for a lofty sum. Of course, I will also want a royalty for each copy of the recipe sold :-D.

You did not say, but how did the Mack's pizza taste?

Peter

Peter,

I never heard the quote from the famous Scottish poet Robert Burns, but that fits to the T what happened yesterday.   ;D

I thought I had every thing planned out, but it didnít turn out that way.  I think if I would have purchased a pizza earlier in the day, things might have been different.  Until we left Wildwood to go to Cape May and then went back to Wildwood again, the people had really thinned out and many of the shops were closing. 

Thanks for posting you thought the pizza was par-baked.  I do recall on this thread that a couple of times it was mentioned that Mackís would partially bake certain pizzas and then add the toppings, before the final bake.  I also recall that other pizza that I purchased that was par-baked.  That pizza was supposed to be for measuring weights too.  That was the pizza that I thought should have been thrown under the boardwalk.   :-D

Things happened so fast when my daughter and I were inside Mackís, that I didnít have time to fully comprehend what was going on.  Since no one else was purchasing any pizzas, I couldnít watch what had happened with my pizza.  If there would have been other customers in Mackís, I would have watched more closely where those pizzas came from.  But alas, that didnít happen.

Good to hear since your calculations that the Mackís pizza still falls within the ballpark ranges of our Mackís pizzas.  Thanks for doing the calculations. 

The bottom crust was a lot darker on the Mackís pizza I purchased, but it didnít taste burnt.  I froze a slice for Steve to taste tomorrow.

Lol, the idea if there really is a real Mackís clone about keeping it secret and selling the recipe on eBay.  :-D Of course I would give you a royalty for each copy of the recipe sold.  ;) You have also invested a lot of time on this thread.

As for the Help Norma fund to reimburse me for the money to date on the cheeses and flours, that isnít needed.  I do really want to be able to make a decent Mackís clone for myself and other members.

The pizza did taste good, except for the crust.  As can be seen the crust was way too dry and crackery.  The crust didnít have any flavor and no oven spring.  After picking one slice apart the sauce looked very sparse to me too.   

I am not going to make a Mackís attempt this week, but might next week.

At least I picked-up some of those diamonds on Sunset Beach in Cape May.

http://www.njsouth.com/Sunsetbeach.htm   Maybe they will help me pay for future expenses.   :-D

Norma 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1453 on: September 24, 2012, 11:02:12 AM »
I think that's far out how all 3 of the baked pizza's Peter just talked about(including Norma's latest clone) all came in at the 34oz range. Almost kinda creepy  ;D  Norma, they had to have slipped a parbaked in on you...that bottom browning is way more than what I've seen here on your thread.
If I can come up with the right cheese will you also cut me in on the secret recipe eBay action? $$   :chef:

Bob,

I guess it is my luck that the pizza was par-baked.  The bottom browning was almost too much.  I will think about if I come-up with the right cheese in cutting you in on the secret recipe.   :-D

Norma

Offline matermark

« Reply #1454 on: September 24, 2012, 11:16:35 AM »
I think they must see you/your daughter coming already! ;D :angel:

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1455 on: September 24, 2012, 05:06:05 PM »
I think they must see you/your daughter coming already! ;D :angel:

Mark,

I really donít think Mackís knows who my daughter and I are, but could be wrong.  When we first went into Mackís and after we had sat down, the one pieman said to me did I purchase perfume.  I said no (and wondered why at first he had asked me that).  I then held out my two bags I was carrying and said I purchased fudge and a sand bucket.  I then remembered my daughter had purchased some incense sticks at the Rock shop right near Mackís.  The other pieman also came over and asked my daughter to smell the incense sticks and also said he smelled them from across the room. 

I really just think they knew they were about finished making pies for the day.  With no visible dough balls in the metal trays it sure confused me, because there are always dough balls in those metal trays.  I made a mental note of how many empty trays were sitting out.  I couldnít see if there was any cheese in the bin from where I was sitting. 

The only thing I thought might have been strange was the one pieman was outside at the Mackís delivery car and I hadnít seen them making more pizzas.  We parked right beside Lauraís Fudge right behind Mackís.  I then saw the other pieman outside at the trash.  That was across the street from the back of Mackís.  I also saw another guy standing outside.  At first I had wondered if he might be watching me trying to weigh the pizza in the parking lot.  I did the weighings behind my daughters car, but I am sure it could be seen when the flash went off different times.  We ate the slices in my daughters car after the weighings.  I have no idea if they saw anything else.  Maybe I soon will become paranoid about going to Mackís.  :-D

I guess I soon have to get this cheese problem wrapped up.   :-\

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1456 on: September 24, 2012, 05:43:41 PM »
All sounds like your text book conspiracy there Norma.  :-D
Them boys are on to you....they probably lurk here and know that you are on the verge of putting them out of business!       "Sweet Norma's Boardwalk Pizza"    8)
Think about it...... ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1457 on: September 24, 2012, 06:04:14 PM »
All sounds like your text book conspiracy there Norma.  :-D
Them boys are on to you....they probably lurk here and know that you are on the verge of putting them out of business!       "Sweet Norma's Boardwalk Pizza"    8)
Think about it...... ;D

Bob,

Like I posted, I really donít think anyone at Mackís knows me, or they wouldnít have left me take all the videos and pictures all the times I did.

I will never put Mackís pizza out of business and really donít want to make Mackís pizzas at market.  I just want to make one when I am hungry for one and also for other members to be able to make one if they want.

As far as boardwalk pizzas at the shore, there are so many I don't even think anyone knows really how many there are.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1458 on: September 24, 2012, 06:15:24 PM »
 :-D  you crack me up sometimes.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1459 on: September 26, 2012, 07:06:36 AM »
Steve reheated the slice of Mackís pizza yesterday until the cheese on the slice bubbled.  Steve said all of the attempted Mackís clones were better than the reheated Mackís slice.  Steve and I looked over the Mackís slice and their crust is really thin.  Steve said he tasted a lot of pepper when he ate the slice.  I didnít notice that much pepper when I ate Mackís pizza before.  I guess we all have different taste buds.

Norma