Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 167893 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #1780 on: December 21, 2013, 03:32:06 PM »
If anyone is interested in the other photos of Mack's attempt that was made in the Blackstone unit the photos and the formulation I used starts at Reply 346 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26483.msg293479.html#msg293479 

I think this might have been my best attempt at a Mack's pizza.  The cheese blend I used was very tasty and so was the crust.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline BillyCorgan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1781 on: January 04, 2014, 11:21:30 AM »
Interestingly enough, I lived about a mile from one of Manco's shops and asked a few people there and they claim they do not use cheddar.  Perhaps they just dont know or are intentionally lying, but I thought restaurants had to be able to list ingredients due to allergies?

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1782 on: January 04, 2014, 12:16:26 PM »
Interestingly enough, I lived about a mile from one of Manco's shops and asked a few people there and they claim they do not use cheddar.  Perhaps they just dont know or are intentionally lying, but I thought restaurants had to be able to list ingredients due to allergies?

Billy,

desant89 posted at Reply 968 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg179085.html#msg179085  about the use of cheddar cheese.

Peter also did call Mack's at Reply 128 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg97184.html#msg97184

I also talked to a foodservice distributor in NJ that also said Mack's and Manco & Manco does only used cheddar cheese on their pizzas.

If you listen to the lady that was sitting beside me at Mack's she asks about the cheese and the pieman said there is a mixture of cheeses, but I do not think that is true.  That video is at Reply 213 (second video down) http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg97856.html#msg97856

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1783 on: January 04, 2014, 02:36:54 PM »
BillyCorgan,

It is quite common for workers to not tell the truth in order to protect their trade secrets (or even less valuable information) from the prying eyes of competitors or would be competitors, or even nosy people. But ignorance is also quite common. I have learned to listen to what they say and then try to corroborate what they say using other methods.

As far as the listing of allergens is concerned, the major pizza chains do it because they are under a lot of pressure from the government, consumers, and health activist groups to do so. Some small chains do it also, especially if they are growing and trying to become big chains. However, independent pizzerias are not required to inform customers of potential allergens. It is when the entity in question, whether it is a big pizza chain or a small mom and pop pizza operator, starts to sell pizzas as "packaged foods", with labeling, that the FDA requires that they comply with certain FDA rules and regulations regarding allergens.

Peter

Offline BillyCorgan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1784 on: January 04, 2014, 09:16:41 PM »
Billy,

desant89 posted at Reply 968 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg179085.html#msg179085  about the use of cheddar cheese.

Peter also did call Mack's at Reply 128 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg97184.html#msg97184

I also talked to a foodservice distributor in NJ that also said Mack's and Manco & Manco does only used cheddar cheese on their pizzas.

If you listen to the lady that was sitting beside me at Mack's she asks about the cheese and the pieman said there is a mixture of cheeses, but I do not think that is true.  That video is at Reply 213 (second video down) http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg97856.html#msg97856

Norma

Norma, very interesting.  So was the conclusion that it is 100% cheddar?

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1785 on: January 04, 2014, 09:27:03 PM »
Norma, very interesting.  So was the conclusion that it is 100% cheddar?

Billy,

I am almost 100% positive that the cheese is all white cheddar.  I use mild white cheddar on my pizzas now.  There are so many brands of mild white cheddar cheeses.  That is the part that gets hard.  I use blocks of mild white cheddar that comes in about 40-45 lb. blocks.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1786 on: January 23, 2014, 08:43:08 AM »
Saw this photo this morning on facebook (Crazy About Wildwood).  I sure could go for some of that warmer weather and maybe a slice of Mack's pizza.  :-D

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1787 on: January 29, 2014, 07:55:35 AM »
I have no idea why, except to see what would happen with using Full Strength flour and a little higher oven temperature, but I changed the boardwalk style pizza dough formulation back to the formulation posted at Reply 307 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg99472.html#msg99472  I took a chance on using that formulation for all of the batches of boardwalk style dough for Tuesday.

The dough balls were harder to open than usual, but it they were pressed on a lot like the piemen do at Mack's they opened okay.  The skins could have been twirled easily after the dough balls were partly opened.  Steve and I like the change in the texture of the crumb and how the rim edges were a little bit crispy.  The whole bottom crust and rim crust tasted better in our opinions. I also used 16.5” as the pizza size instead of 17.5” to see if the rim crust would become a little smaller.  That seemed to work okay.  The dough balls felt a lot drier than my normal dough balls when balling them.

As always, my photos don't show the true colors of the rim crust, when the photos are taken under artificial lighting at market.

A man purchased a slice and came back for more.  He then asked me if I ever went to Ocean City, NJ.  I said yes I did.  He asked me if I ever tasted Manco & Manco pizzas there.  I said yes I did and also ate Mack's pizzas in Wildwood many times.  The man then told me my pizza tasted like Manco & Manco.  I then told the man that those were the pizzas I modeled my boardwalk style pizzas after.  The man then told me know he does not have to go the whole way to Ocean City, NJ to be able to enjoy this style of pizza. 

Norma 

Offline RockyMountainPie

• I Knead Pizza!
« Reply #1788 on: January 30, 2014, 01:14:12 AM »
Norma,

Those pizzas look great!  I like the "bumpy" look of the texture on the bottom of the crust.  Congratulations on having yet another person telling you your pizza tastes like a Mack's / Manco pie.  All of your hard work in learning about this style has paid off and I'm glad to hear there are people around you who appreciate your efforts and recognize the very shop whose pizzas served as your inspiration.

Tim

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1789 on: January 30, 2014, 08:15:46 AM »
Norma,

Those pizzas look great!  I like the "bumpy" look of the texture on the bottom of the crust.  Congratulations on having yet another person telling you your pizza tastes like a Mack's / Manco pie.  All of your hard work in learning about this style has paid off and I'm glad to hear there are people around you who appreciate your efforts and recognize the very shop whose pizzas served as your inspiration.

Tim

Tim,

Thanks!   I really don't think that photo that you thought had the “bumpy texture look” really was bumpy.  Photos can be deceiving sometimes.  :-D  I have had different people tell me every few weeks that either my pizzas look, or taste like Grotto's, Mack's, or Manco & Manco. 

The journey to get my pizzas to look and taste somewhat like a Mack's pizza, with the help of other forum members, has been somewhat of a fun adventure for me.  When I found this thread I also wanted to be able to make a pizza like Mack's since that was my favorite pizza.  I still have to work on how I can change the dough ball to be a little easier to open.  I am not sure if I should add the oil at the upfront or at the end.  I also am not sure how long to mix.  In the next few weeks I want to try out KABF with VWG.

Norma

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #1790 on: February 02, 2014, 12:14:41 AM »
Norma, your pies get better every time you post a picture.  Honestly, there are some great pies being made and posted here but I don't know of anyone who can make a better looking pizza pie than you.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1791 on: February 02, 2014, 09:09:33 AM »
Norma, your pies get better every time you post a picture.  Honestly, there are some great pies being made and posted here but I don't know of anyone who can make a better looking pizza pie than you.

James,

Thanks for your kind comments!  I am still trying to decide whether to add the oil to the water first, or drizzle it in later after the dough is partly mixed.  I did add the add the oil at the end last week.  They are calling for 4"to 8" of snow for tomorrow in our area starting in the early morning and continuing though the day.  This winter is sure hard to decide if I can even make the dough for pizzas at market.  :-\  I don't have an emergency dough formulation to use for market.

Norma

Offline BillyCorgan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1792 on: February 05, 2014, 11:15:49 PM »
I took two pictures at Manco and Manco tonight.  First off, the closeup of the cheese looks like there is some white and yellow cheese.  Wouldn't that suggest that this is a blend?  It's strange though because the cheese that is in the big bowl they have sitting on the counter waiting to be put on the pies looks white - it doesn't look yellowish.

Second picture is of their dough.. I saw it was sitting in a yellowish liquid.  They said that it was butter.  Is that common for dough to be soaked in butter?

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1793 on: February 06, 2014, 08:26:41 AM »
I took two pictures at Manco and Manco tonight.  First off, the closeup of the cheese looks like there is some white and yellow cheese.  Wouldn't that suggest that this is a blend?  It's strange though because the cheese that is in the big bowl they have sitting on the counter waiting to be put on the pies looks white - it doesn't look yellowish.

Second picture is of their dough.. I saw it was sitting in a yellowish liquid.  They said that it was butter.  Is that common for dough to be soaked in butter?

Billy,

I think what you are seeing in the yellow and white is the sauce blending in with the cheese when the cheese was melting and baking. 

I would not think Manco & Manco would be using butter to oil the dough balls or sit the dough balls on.  Were you up close enough to see if it really looked like butter, or could it have been semolina that got wet from the dough sweating?  Think old time and how pizzerias do things the cheapest way they can.  Oil would be a better choice, at least in my opinion.  I have learned that pizzerias don't always share their information.

What did you think of the taste of the cheese on the Manco & Manco pizza and the overall taste of their pizzas?

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1794 on: February 06, 2014, 09:18:35 AM »
Looks like grease to me.(fat from the cheese)

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline BillyCorgan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1795 on: February 10, 2014, 05:54:20 PM »
Looks like grease to me.(fat from the cheese)

Bob

I think you're right, looks like grease.  When watching them make pizza at Mack's it appears the cheese they are pulling out of the large bin is ony 1 color, and it appears to look like Mozzarella.  I'm only saying this because mild cheddar from what I've seen is typically more yellow, and mozzarella whiter.  What they're putting on is definitely lighter.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1796 on: February 10, 2014, 06:19:47 PM »
When watching them make pizza at Mack's it appears the cheese they are pulling out of the large bin is ony 1 color, and it appears to look like Mozzarella.  I'm only saying this because mild cheddar from what I've seen is typically more yellow, and mozzarella whiter.  What they're putting on is definitely lighter.

Billy,

The mild white cheddar I am using on my boardwalk style pizzas is the same color as mozzarella.  I don't think anyone could tell it was not mozzarella by just looking at it.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1797 on: February 10, 2014, 06:29:08 PM »
I mixed this batch of boardwalk style dough a little different today.  I put the salt in the water and stirred until it was blended.  I then put all of the olive oil in the water and then added the flour, IDY and sugar.  I will see if that give me any different results in how the dough balls handle tomorrow.

Some photos.  The last two photos are the bottom side of two dough balls where they were sealed.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1798 on: February 13, 2014, 08:46:03 PM »
I still am having trouble opening and stretching the dough balls when using the last mixing method I used and also using the method of mixing with adding the oil last.  It seems like near the end of the day the dough balls are easier to open.  Since it has been colder at market in the winter I place most of the dough balls in the heated cabinet to warm them up first before even putting them on the bench to warm up more.  I think my finished dough temperatures are normal.  I am at a loss of what to try next to have dough balls that are easier to open.

Norma

Offline scupbucket

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1799 on: February 14, 2014, 08:37:54 PM »
I need to stop reading this thread when I'm hungry... amazing looking pies!  :drool: