Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 183889 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #1800 on: February 14, 2014, 08:50:58 PM »
I need to stop reading this thread when I'm hungry... amazing looking pies!  :drool:

scupbucket,

Mack's and Manco & Manco do make amazing looking pies!  The smell coming out of their pizzerias is also amazing.   :drool:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #1801 on: February 18, 2014, 07:25:05 PM »
My first attempt at NJ style.  Shredded mozz and sharp cheddar blend.  Spiral sauce on top and pepperoni.  Cooked in Blackstone at around 630.  Needed to get it a bit hotter or 60 seconds longer... but really tasty

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1802 on: February 18, 2014, 09:30:54 PM »
My first attempt at NJ style.  Shredded mozz and sharp cheddar blend.  Spiral sauce on top and pepperoni.  Cooked in Blackstone at around 630.  Needed to get it a bit hotter or 60 seconds longer... but really tasty

Qarl,

You did a great job on your attempt at a boardwalk style of pizza!  ;D  I am glad you thought was tasty.  What dough formulation did you use?

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1803 on: February 20, 2014, 08:03:37 PM »
I still am having problems opening the doughs balls and can't figure out why.  I upped the hydration this past Monday and mixed less.  The oil was added last.  The pizzas are browning okay on the rim crust and bottom crust and there is a decent amount of open spring in the rim but there seems to be something either wrong with my mixing or formulations I am using.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1804 on: February 28, 2014, 06:35:10 PM »
The weathermen are calling for more snow Sunday evening into Monday.  They can't decide as of today if we will get a heavy accumulation of snow on Monday or not.  Why I am writing this post is while I was doing things at market today I asked the one maintenance man if there was any possibility that I could get into market tomorrow and make the boardwalk style dough in case we get bad weather on Monday.  The maintenance man checked and said I could go inside market tomorrow to make my dough.  This same thing happened not too long ago when it snowed heavily on a Monday and then I missed market that week because the snow was too much for my van to drive in on Monday.  Tuesday's weather is supposed to be okay. 

What I was wondering is does anyone know what percentage of yeast I should use for a 3 day cold ferment.  I guess I won't be able to make the Detroit style dough if I can't get to market on Monday because of the high amount of yeast that is used.

It was only 38 degrees F at market today while I was cleaning and stocking things, so probably tomorrow won't be any different temperature wise inside market.  I can always warm water though.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1805 on: March 01, 2014, 09:34:55 PM »
This is the dough formulation I used this afternoon to mix my batches of dough to be cold fermented until Tuesday.  I don't know if it will work out okay or not.  There were some problems at market today besides the low temperature at market which can be seen in the second photo.  The humidity part of the thermometer does not work right.  When I went to turn the water on it came out just by drips.  I fiddled with it for a little while and decided the water pipes must be frozen, or almost frozen.  It is no wonder the water pipes would freeze when it was only in the single digits last night and there isn't much of any heat on at market.  The walls near my water pipes are cinder blocks with no insulation.  The whole time I was at market no heat went on at all.  I understand why market keeps the temperature so low since the cost of propane to heat market has risen considerably, but wonder how many other vendors will also have frozen pipes.  I then put my little heater which I normally use to make it a little warmer at market right near where the water comes into my stand.  The water would only come in very slowly after awhile.  I then heated up the water for the dough batches.  My final dough temperatures were not exactly were I wanted them but I guess close enough.  I had to try to keep filling water bottles so I could wash all of the dishes and then had to heat that water up too.  I rinsed with the really cold water.  It can be seen how cold my hands were when I was almost finished at market.  No wonder I have dish pan hands.  :-D  I was glad to get back into the warm van.

I did call the one maintenance man and told him what had happened.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1806 on: March 03, 2014, 06:22:14 PM »
What a difference two days made in the temperature inside market.  ;D  It was almost 70 degrees when I went there right after lunch.  The snow did not materialize like the weathermen thought it would.  There was not much of any snow this morning.  The cold air pushed the snow down more towards the Mason-Dixon line.  I went to market to make the Detroit style dough, grate some cheese and also check on the almost frozen water pipe problem.   Thankfully today the water was running fine.  I asked the one maintenance man if he knew when my water started running better.  He told me he checked on Sunday and it was okay.  I was glad I had decided to go to market on Saturday because if I would not have I probably would have had to dealt with the frozen water pipes today.  I had left the water trickle and also left the little heater on near the water pipes when I left on Saturday.  The little heater stayed on when I left today because it is supposed to get down to the single digits, or minus the single digits tonight.

I checked on the boardwalk style dough balls to see how they were doing in terms of fermentation.  The ones stored in the pizza prep fridge were less fermented than the ones that were in the deli case.  I found that rather odd because the other week the food inspector was there and checked both temperatures in both fridges.  Both fridges had the same temperature which was 36 degrees F and that while I was opening and shutting the doors on them during the day.  At least I now know that the deli case ferments doughs faster in a couple of days.  I did not see that before when only fermenting for one day.  The dough balls in the deli case I then moved to the pizza prep fridge today because they already looked fermented enough.

Norma

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #1807 on: March 03, 2014, 06:58:38 PM »
Norma:  You sure do rough it!  I never met anyone working in conditions like yours until I went to Mazzi's pizza in Marion OH a couple months ago.  They have no heat but the pizza oven and no a/c. So both summer and winter are insane inside that place. The day I was there the place was a cold as the fridge and the dough we took out that sat for 3 hours never rose a lick.  I don't know if I could work in such conditions.  If you got into a mild/steady temp workspace for your shop you might blow the top off the pizza world :)  My hat is off to you and home pizza maker should take a lesson from all the obstacles you overcome each day in making your pizzas.  Walter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1808 on: March 03, 2014, 07:01:25 PM »
Walter,

I agree. Norma is a natural.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1809 on: March 03, 2014, 07:29:55 PM »
Norma:  You sure do rough it!  I never met anyone working in conditions like yours until I went to Mazzi's pizza in Marion OH a couple months ago.  They have no heat but the pizza oven and no a/c. So both summer and winter are insane inside that place. The day I was there the place was a cold as the fridge and the dough we took out that sat for 3 hours never rose a lick.  I don't know if I could work in such conditions.  If you got into a mild/steady temp workspace for your shop you might blow the top off the pizza world :)  My hat is off to you and home pizza maker should take a lesson from all the obstacles you overcome each day in making your pizzas.  Walter

Walter,

I sure don't like working in such widely changing temperatures. When I go to market I am either bundled up too much or not enough.  :-D I sure would not want to work in a pizza business like Mazzi's Pizza. I don't know how Mazzi's employees work in those temperatures day after day.  Hot summer days are insane where I work too.  I am right in front of the pizza oven most of the day. 

The Detroit style doughs I make in those varying temperatures don't seem to mind the different temperatures.

Thanks for your kind words! 

Walter,

I agree. Norma is a natural.

Peter

Thanks Peter!

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1810 on: March 05, 2014, 09:17:58 AM »
Since I had a chance to do a three day cold ferment for the boardwalk style dough I wondered if the taste of the crust would be a lot better.  I normally do a one day cold ferment for my dough balls at market.  I also was curious if the dough balls that had fermented more in the deli case would give a better taste in the crust since they looked more fermented than the doughs that were kept in the pizza prep fridge. 

The dough balls that were in the deli case until Monday (then transferred to the pizza prep fridge because they looked like they were fermenting faster) needed shaped before they were opened because as soon as they were floured, put on the marble slab and pushed on a little, the bubbles of fermentation did make them a little more difficult to start opening.  Once they were shaped and some fermentation bubbles were pushed out they opened easily. 

Steve and I tasted a slice of the pizza made with the higher fermented dough balls to see if the flavor of the crust was better, or if the pizza was better in any way from the longer fermentation time of 3 days.  We really could not notice much of any difference in the flavor of the crust from my normal one day cold fermentation.  Only a little better flavor was notice and we decided if we really were not looking for a better flavor in the crust we probably really would not have noticed that.  The only other difference was the rim crust seemed to blister better from the three day cold ferment. 

I know I didn't do any other tests on the doughs that were made Saturday to see if a different formulation might have made any differences in the taste of the crust, but it now makes me wonder why the crusts tasted very similar to the one day cold fermented doughs.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1811 on: March 11, 2014, 10:29:28 PM »
I am beginning to think I don't understand pizza dough very much at all.  I am always trying to experiment and find how to make my dough balls open up easier and to have dough balls that last throughout the day that act about the same in opening them and so they don't ferment too much differently over the period of a whole day.  Today I had success in finally opening the dough balls very easily and the dough balls stayed about the same all day.  I used the same formulation and the only five things I did differently was use colder water than usual, use a little bit more water in both mixes, mixed a shorter amount of time, balled not as tightly and gave the dough balls a half hour rest period before going into the pizza prep fridge.  I did the same things for both batches of boardwalk style doughs.  I guess that was a lot of variables.  :-D  The dough balls really performed well today anyway.

It really felt like springtime today in our area and market was packed.  I had to tell customers near the end of the day that I was out of dough balls.  I felt bad telling the customers I was out of dough balls to make the boardwalk style of pizzas.  One lady and her husband said the had just came to market to try out my pizzas because of a review of that was on the web.  I asked where they had seen that.  The lady told me she saw it under reviews of Root's Market to check out my pizzas.  At least the lady said she will be back to try the boardwalk style of pizza.  I am getting busier all the time with the boardwalk style of pizzas which is good.  I don't know how long my old body will be able to take these long busy days though. 

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1812 on: March 11, 2014, 11:44:05 PM »

It really felt like springtime today in our area and market was packed. I had to tell customers near the end of the day that I was out of dough balls.  I felt bad telling the customers I was out of dough balls to make the boardwalk style of pizzas.  One lady and her husband said the had just came to market to try out my pizzas because of a review of that was on the web. I asked where they had seen that.  The lady told me she saw it under reviews of Root's Market to check out my pizzas.  At least the lady said she will be back to try the boardwalk style of pizza.  I am getting busier all the time with the boardwalk style of pizzas which is good.  I don't know how long my old body will be able to take these long busy days though. 

Norma
I hope you gave her your business card and wrote on the back of it...."50% off your next Norma's Pizza".

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1813 on: March 12, 2014, 09:25:14 AM »
I hope you gave her your business card and wrote on the back of it...."50% off your next Norma's Pizza".

Bob

Bob,

I really didn't think at all, but should have given that lady something.  I don't have any business cards.  I have run out of dough a couple of times in the past month and had some other customers that said they came just for my pizzas.  I really don't like that at all, but it is hard to decide how much dough to make when I am making the doughs one day a week.  I have no way of knowing if more customers will purchase whole pizzas or just slices.  If I had a regular pizza business I could make enough doughs to last into the next day.  I also can not reflect on the business I did last year because the pace is changing this year.

Making pizzas or other foods at market for a one day period is challenging in knowing how much to make, or even ordering what they think they might need to make those foods.  I know plenty of other food vendors (sausage sandwiches, subs, Greek food, pit beef sandwiches, Chinese food, pastry, cookies, cakes, bread stands, and a lot more) that almost always run out of what they sell on busy weeks.

Norma   

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1814 on: March 12, 2014, 02:30:36 PM »
"I also can not reflect on the business I did last year because the pace is changing this year."

Norma,
I'm very glad to hear that good news. I know you are up against many different challenges given your unique 1-day a week Market situation. Hang in there girl and keep those awesome pies of yours coming!  :chef:

Bob

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1815 on: March 12, 2014, 06:39:05 PM »

Norma,
I'm very glad to hear that good news. I know you are up against many different challenges given your unique 1-day a week Market situation. Hang in there girl and keep those awesome pies of yours coming!  :chef:

Bob

Thanks Bob!  In April it will be 5 years since I started making pizzas at my small pizza stand.  Time blew by so fast.

I will see if business does keeps picking up this spring and summer.  The only problems with business picking up too fast is I really don't have room to expand, or for another person to work in my small stand.  With only two people working it is hard to put out pies really fast when someone always has to be waiting on customers, reheating slices, opening dough balls, saucing and putting cheese on the skins, watching and rotating pies in the oven, washing dishes, refilling stuff, getting sodas and water out of the cooler, giving change and more things.  Steve and I have a hard time getting by each other right where the oven and prep table is.  A customer said yesterday it is quite cozy behind my stand.  He then chuckled.  :-D  I know that is true.  Yesterday near the end of the day when I had to root in the cooler for a different kind of soda in the bottom front I hardly could get back up off my knees without holding on to something.  That shows the old bones are getting old at the end of the day.  At least the Detroit style pizza are easier then the boardwalk style pizzas to make.

I guess a woman can never be satisfied.   ::)

Norma

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #1816 on: March 12, 2014, 07:04:52 PM »
Today I had success in finally opening the dough balls very easily and the dough balls stayed about the same all day.  I used the same formulation and the only five things I did differently was use colder water than usual, use a little bit more water in both mixes, mixed a shorter amount of time, balled not as tightly and gave the dough balls a half hour rest period before going into the pizza prep fridge.  I did the same things for both batches of boardwalk style doughs.  I guess that was a lot of variables.  :-D  The dough balls really performed well today anyway.

It really felt like springtime today in our area and market was packed.  I had to tell customers near the end of the day that I was out of dough balls.  I felt bad telling the customers I was out of dough balls to make the boardwalk style of pizzas.  One lady and her husband said the had just came to market to try out my pizzas because of a review of that was on the web.  I asked where they had seen that.  The lady told me she saw it under reviews of Root's Market to check out my pizzas.  At least the lady said she will be back to try the boardwalk style of pizza.  I am getting busier all the time with the boardwalk style of pizzas which is good.  I don't know how long my old body will be able to take these long busy days though. 

Norma

Sounds good Norma!  I mix all my doughes with really cold water and they go in the cooler well under the 80 degree mark and are usually in the high 60's to low 70's.  I mix about 6 minutes on a 2 day ferment and ball lightly.  My hydration stays the same.  Our balls are good from 1-4/5 hours on the bench.  1 hour is rushing it and you have to be careful of tearing and will have to pop some bubbles and 5 is near the end of the line but still workable with care. I don't know if that was your time frame. 

Congragulations on the fans!  That will keep them old bones going for a long time!  I spent this afternoon at Wieberts Sweet Shop.  Ms. Wiebert runs it out of her house and is a master cake maker.  She is 85 and her house is something out of the american pickers tv show.  She welcomed me in and I spent 2 hours going through tons of baking supplies.  I gave her a loaf of our sourdough and she refused to take any money on the stuff I got for a students birthday cake we are making tomorrow.  I am bringing her a pizza tomorrow after work.  She said running the business keeps her young.  She answers the door and you sit at her kitchen table and talk, then get to business.  An old baker her told me about her.  Old school you and her are!  Walter
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 07:07:59 PM by waltertore »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1817 on: March 12, 2014, 08:00:56 PM »
Sounds good Norma!  I mix all my doughes with really cold water and they go in the cooler well under the 80 degree mark and are usually in the high 60's to low 70's.  I mix about 6 minutes on a 2 day ferment and ball lightly.  My hydration stays the same.  Our balls are good from 1-4/5 hours on the bench.  1 hour is rushing it and you have to be careful of tearing and will have to pop some bubbles and 5 is near the end of the line but still workable with care. I don't know if that was your time frame. 

Congragulations on the fans!  That will keep them old bones going for a long time!  I spent this afternoon at Wieberts Sweet Shop.  Ms. Wiebert runs it out of her house and is a master cake maker.  She is 85 and her house is something out of the american pickers tv show.  She welcomed me in and I spent 2 hours going through tons of baking supplies.  I gave her a loaf of our sourdough and she refused to take any money on the stuff I got for a students birthday cake we are making tomorrow.  I am bringing her a pizza tomorrow after work.  She said running the business keeps her young.  She answers the door and you sit at her kitchen table and talk, then get to business.  An old baker her told me about her.  Old school you and her are!  Walter

Walter,

Good to hear you advocate using colder water and a lower final dough temperature.  You mix time is low too compared to some of them I tried.  It is great to hear how you ball too.  I will see if I can repeat my same results with the dough next week. 

I know some days I start out with lots of energy.  By near 5:00 PM it is fading fast.  I know customers telling you they like your pizzas goes a long way in helping trying to move on to make better pizzas and also to keep going. 

Ms. Wiebert sound like a great person and I liked to hear about her.  8) I could take some advice from her in running her business keeps her young. 

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1818 on: March 12, 2014, 11:25:44 PM »
You recently have put extra effort in to getting more business. You are seeing gains and realizing that your stall is too small.
With the temp swings that old Market throws at you continually, no matter what time of year.....your time and money would be better served if you just got the hell out of there and found a more suitable location to spend your precious time. Just....MHO.  ;)
And if there is ever anything I, personally, could do to help facilitate that for you Norma....you just say the word.

Bob

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1819 on: March 13, 2014, 06:37:26 AM »
You recently have put extra effort in to getting more business. You are seeing gains and realizing that your stall is too small.
With the temp swings that old Market throws at you continually, no matter what time of year.....your time and money would be better served if you just got the hell out of there and found a more suitable location to spend your precious time. Just....MHO.  ;)
And if there is ever anything I, personally, could do to help facilitate that for you Norma....you just say the word.

Bob

Bob,

I did put a little extra effort in getting more business but not a lot.  I am not sure why, but think since I found the right cheese (not sure if it exactly right) and advertise that I sell boardwalk style pies that is why I might be busier.  Customers are telling me they tell their friends about my boardwalk style of pizzas.  As I said before I think most of my customers can relate to a boardwalk style pie such as Grotto's, Mack's and Manco & Manco since many of my customers go to the shore. Of course the Detroit style pies also help to make extra money. 

If I were younger I might get out of where I am.  To make a move and get venting would cost a fair amount of money.  Some places are calling for fire suppression hoods for pizza ovens.  I am not in the position right now to spend that extra money. 

As I somewhat posted before, I was supposed to get new flooring in my stand over the winter, which was supposed to be paid for by me and the market was going to pay for the labor to do that.  This winter has been harsh in weather and the market maintenance men have been fixing broken water pipes and spending their time clearing snow off all of the areas at market.  I said something to the one maintenance man on Tuesday about if they are going to put the new flooring in my stand this spring now that the weather is better.  He would not commit and said market is looking into getting all new roofs on all the market building because all of them are so old and most have leaks.  I then told him that my market floor is really soft in some areas and I worry about the oven falling or something else happening.

What I don't clearly understand at all is that vendors right across from me wanted to try a another stand that was recently vacated way across the aisle.  That was a stand that is more than 3 times bigger than my stand.  They are only paying a little more a month than I am for stand rent since their move this week.  They are also given the option of moving back to their smaller stand if things don't work out with the bigger stand.  I would not have been able to move into that bigger stand though because there is no water run to that stand, but the rent thing still bothers me.  Also they let other vendors make moves when space if available.  Sorry to keep venting about the same stuff.   

I really appreciate you would be willing to help me make a move  8), but really I don't know where I would move if I could.  Our area is so full of pizzerias that sell NY style pizzas. 

Norma

pizzapan