Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 182399 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #1860 on: June 07, 2014, 07:26:50 PM »
Norma,

The dough ball weight that you referenced in Reply 1213 was 20 ounces (1 1/4 lb. x 16 = 20). The corresponding thickness factor would have been 0.0786. For a one-pound dough ball used to make an 18" pizza, the nominal thickness factor would be 16/(3.14159 x 9 x 9) = 0.062876. Looking at the thickness of the crust as shown in the photo of Reply 1171 that you referenced, I think that the above thickness factor (0.062876) is credible and in the ballpark. Of course, there is no guarantee that that value will work as well in your deck oven at work.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1861 on: June 07, 2014, 08:08:36 PM »
Norma,

The dough ball weight that you referenced in Reply 1213 was 20 ounces (1 1/4 lb. x 16 = 20). The corresponding thickness factor would have been 0.0786. For a one-pound dough ball used to make an 18" pizza, the nominal thickness factor would be 16/(3.14159 x 9 x 9) = 0.062876. Looking at the thickness of the crust as shown in the photo of Reply 1171 that you referenced, I think that the above thickness factor (0.062876) is credible and in the ballpark. Of course, there is no guarantee that that value will work as well in your deck oven at work.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for figuring out what TF I had used in Reply 1213, and for posting that for a one-pound dough ball to make an 18” pizza, the nominal TF would be 0.062876.  I think I recently tried some pizzas on another thread with the TF of 0.062876.  I do know that my oven might not bake like Mack's oven. 

I think Mack's might be going downhill in the past few years from what I have tasted of their pizzas and what some bloggers have posted.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1862 on: July 12, 2014, 09:03:27 AM »
After watching these videos again it reminded me of De Lorenzo's dough opening techniques in how Tony/other piemen presses/pounds on the dough ball a lot and the proceeds to open by sliding the skin around.  The similarity stops though in that Mack's dough balls can be tossed and twirled well.

And this video.

Mack's dough balls can also be opened a little bit differently than sliding the dough about as show in this video.

I wonder if it was a “Trenton thing” in how similarly the dough balls are opened by pounding/pressing on them and then sliding the dough skin around.  I don't think it has been posted on the forum before if it is a “Trenton thing” or not.

If anyone is interested I posted more about pies like a Mack's pizza on the Tomato Pie thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=25401.0 and the Flavour of Dough thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30641.0

I am still working a pizza like Mack's.

Norma

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1863 on: July 19, 2014, 02:25:03 PM »

And this video.

Norma

Norma,
I think I've been reading this site for about 2.5 years.  Only about 1 registered.  I almost can't believe I've never once looked at this topic.  Even by accident when clicking on other hyperlinks, etc,.  But I figure what took more than 10 years to create - reasonably could not be easily read in only 25% of that time!

Thank you very much for posting these videos.  I've never seen dough that thin and strong flying around like that!  In video two - that crazy & ingenious PVC and vacuum tube tomato sauce delivery hose - is also a first for me to see.  I wonder what "feeds" that tube?  Probably a 55 gallon drum  :-D   Great to see how the pro's (like you) do it!  The more I read thru this topic - the more interesting it becomes.   Many thanks, - Don
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 03:23:01 PM by Donjo911 »
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1864 on: July 19, 2014, 04:05:07 PM »

Norma,
I think I've been reading this site for about 2.5 years.  Only about 1 registered.  I almost can't believe I've never once looked at this topic.  Even by accident when clicking on other hyperlinks, etc,.  But I figure what took more than 10 years to create - reasonably could not be easily read in only 25% of that time!

Thank you very much for posting these videos.  I've never seen dough that thin and strong flying around like that!  In video two - that crazy & ingenious PVC and vacuum tube tomato sauce delivery hose - is also a first for me to see.  I wonder what "feeds" that tube?  Probably a 55 gallon drum  :-D   Great to see how the pro's (like you) do it!  The more I read thru this topic - the more interesting it becomes.   Many thanks, - Don

Don,

Really this thread is only about 5 years year.  I guess things that were learned in this thread should be updated to take out all the information that is not correct, but if a member really want to know about something from this thread all they have to do is ask.  I am a firm believer in not just handling things over too easily, and making someone work for their supper if they would really want to make a pizza like Mack's or Manco & Manco.  Too many people just come here to the forum to just grab a recipe and then leave. 

From what I have heard lately, I really don't know how that tube works, but think there is sauce stored right under where they shoot the sauce from the hose. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1865 on: August 06, 2014, 09:14:44 AM »
I saw this commercial for Seaside Heights back in the 80's.  I still love to watch how the pieman can toss and twirled the skins.  The piemen at Maruca's Pizza are very good at tossing the skins.    

Always front and center at the counter at our Dupont Ave. location was our father Anthony "Jake" Maruca posted by Maruca's on facebook.  Part about Maruca's starts about 2:25 into the video.

Norma

Offline jkb

« Reply #1866 on: August 12, 2014, 04:14:43 AM »
I saw this commercial for Seaside Heights back in the 80's.  I still love to watch how the pieman can toss and twirled the skins.  The piemen at Maruca's Pizza are very good at tossing the skins.   

Always front and center at the counter at our Dupont Ave. location was our father Anthony "Jake" Maruca posted by Maruca's on facebook.  Part about Maruca's starts about 2:25 into the video.

Norma

Wow!  What a harsh reminder of the fashion low point that was the 80's :)

I went to Seaside a bit in the early 90's.  I'm sure I've eaten Maruca's.    I wasn't the pizza snob I am now, so my memories don't hold much weight.  I have fond memories of the 27" pie at the sawmill.  A giant slice and a soda for $1.25 (drank a bit of beer there too).

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1868 on: August 13, 2014, 09:13:15 AM »
Since Mack's pizza has been voted the #1 pizza in Wildwood, I thought I would post the history of Mack's pizza for anyone that does not know about how Mack's pizza came to be. 

To really understand you have to go back to the beginning. Before it was even called pizza. Back to Trenton, where Anthony Macrone, the Godfather of the family, began selling Trenton Tomato Pies at his restaurant near the Trenton State Fairgrounds in the early 1950s. 

Even though they may look the same to the observer, a Trenton Tomato Pie is different than a pizza in that it is made with a thin and crispy dough crust with the cheeze layered first and the tomato sauce added on top, and after baking at high temperature for ten to twelve minutes, is best eaten fresh and hot. 

The first Trenton Tomato Pie has been traced back to 1910 when they were first served at Joe's in the Italian neighborhood of Chambersburg, and made popular by Papas and DeLorenzos and other places run by Italians from the Naples area of Italy. 

Although a staple in Trenton, the Tomato Pie didn't make its debute at the Jersey Shore until the early 1950s when a store opened in Seaside, and a new market for the product opened up. 

Then one day in 1952 Mr. Anthony Macrone and his son Dominick aka "Duke," took a drive down Route 9, visited Wildwood and decided that the boardwalk at that seasonal resort might be a good place to open a restaurant featuring their Tomato Pies. It rained the first Memorial Day weekend the first Mack's opened and they only sold eight pies. 

Although they did include some other items on the menu, a local judge who was a steady customer recommended they cut back on everything but the Tomato Pie, and it really took off. Although others tried to duplicate their product and business, and dozens of other pizza parlors have opened on the boardwalk, Mack's had loyal customers who kept coming back and they expanded, eventually having four shops on the Wildwood boardwalk. 

History came from http://oceancitydays.blogspot.com/2011/12/mack-mancos-to-manco-mancos-pizza.html 

I think Mack's or Manco & Manco pizzas reached much farther than is though.  I recalled reading this part of an article. 

“About ten years ago I was on the beach in Aruba with just my family and me. I happened to be wearing a Mack & Manco t-shirt. I’m just sitting in my chair reading and a guy walks by and turns to me and says: ‘Hey, do you have any cuts of pizza? I’m from South Jersey and I love your stuff.’ It reaches far and wide. It’s magical and we’re going to continue to match it, just like Disney. We owe it to the founders of these brands. We’re not going to let the bigness of corporate America ruin our brand. I will not let that happen. We’re going to keep in it in the family.”

http://www.jerseymanmagazine.com/manco-and-manco-pizza   

I think I have mentioned in another thread that I have a man and his sons that now come each week to purchase my version of Mack's pizza.  The man told me that he grew up with the Mack's brothers and played with them.  The man that is my customer lived on the same street as where Mack's lived.  I have not asked the man a lot about what he recalls about the Mack's brothers, or where he specially lived, because I am usually busy when he comes to my stand.  He did tell me that Mack's had apartments over their pizza business and he ate pizzas at Mack's a lot.  Mack's is his favorite pizza.  Since he has found my version of Mack's pizza he is now purchasing 2 whole pies each week.  He is happy that I offer a pizza that is almost like Mack's pizza.

Norma

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #1869 on: August 13, 2014, 09:45:40 AM »
Thanks Norma,  that was very interesting.   I hope I can try one of your Mack's style pizzas one of these days.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1870 on: August 13, 2014, 10:03:47 AM »

I hope I can try one of your Mack's style pizzas one of these days.

TinRoof,

I hope you get to my pizza stand someday.  My version of a Mack's pizza has a different crust and is a little bit less greasy.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1871 on: August 17, 2014, 09:19:18 AM »
My daughter, granddaughter, great-granddaughter and Luis went to Wildwood yesterday.  They had asked me to go along but I knew it would be a really long day.  I did not know if I felt up to all that walking on the boardwalk in Wildwood, being on the beach for a lot of hours, and then driving back and forth to Wildwood all in one day. They left early in the morning and did not get home until about 2:00 AM this morning.  My daughter brought me back 2 slices of Mack's pizza.  I reheated the one slice early this morning, but only in the microwave.  The pizza stone was in the Blackstone oven, and I did not feel like taking the top off early this morning.  The Mack's slice was a lot better than the few last times I had slices of Mack's pizza.  The rim crust was breadier than I had recalled though.  I really can't understand how some of my customers think my boardwalk style of pizzas tastes like a real Mack's pizza.

Norma

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1872 on: August 17, 2014, 10:11:45 AM »
yours looks so much better Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1873 on: August 17, 2014, 01:53:35 PM »

Thanks so much Deb!

Norma

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #1874 on: August 17, 2014, 04:02:14 PM »

I agree!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1875 on: August 17, 2014, 10:22:20 PM »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1876 on: August 21, 2014, 11:55:26 AM »
If anyone is interested in watching Wildwood's Pizza Tour of 2014 this is the video, and where it was posted.  There were 23 different pizzerias tried in Wildwood, NJ  I really like the one reviewers comment that the cheese at Mack's pizza is what made Mack's pizza taste great.  ;D  I think I have found the same thing from using a simliar cheese at my small pizza stand.  That sure was a long journey in finding the right cheese to use on my boardwalk style pizzas, but I “stayed the course”.  :-D

http://www.bit.ly/wildwoodpizzatour2014

Norma

Offline gfgman

« Reply #1877 on: August 22, 2014, 10:40:07 AM »
If I were going to make a boardwalk pizza, I would probably go down the Mac's road just to make something different, and because a lot of people associate that taste with Boardwalk pizza.  However, if I get back to OC or Wildwood at some point, I'll be going elsewhere.  Maybe my tastes have changed, or maybe it's because I grew up at the shore with so many good Italian pizza shops around, and, going to the boardwalk and eating a lot of non Mack's Pizza.  For me, a good NY Style slice and a boardwalk slice are the same.  I see no difference between Joe's on Carmine Street, and some of the best pizza on Boardwalk. 
I do recall liking Maruca's way back when, but the Sawmill was definitely better.  I used to drive an ice cream truck, and I stopped at Maruca's off boardwalk location a lot.  I thought it was good, and I was fascinated by the process.  I think at some point they tried to make themselves into a chain, and they opened more locations.  I tried a slice a few years ago and it was awful. 
I remember trying Mac and Manco's many years ago and liking it.  I tried it a few years ago, and it was just alright.  It wasn't as crispy as I remembered it, and the cheese blend didn't do anything for me.  I went a couple doors down to Three Brothers from Italy and got one of their monster slices.  That was spot on for me.  Really one of the best slices I've had. 
There's a place here in Harrisburg that does a NY style, and think the brothers that own it are from NYC.  They do other stuff also, like Pan, Grandma, Pittsburgh, White Holiday, German, BBQ, steak, etc.  But, on their plain pie, they use a cheese blend that I would say is similar to Mac's.  They've changed suppliers, so the cheese isn't quite as good as what they used to use, but it's still good.  I said I didn't care for the cheese blend, but their NY style crust is so good, that it's really a quite tasty product. 
I haven't been there in awhile though.  I like Galbani cheese from the grocery store, but, like I said, whatever they are using, it's not as good as their previous cheese.  They also added some new staff that I assume to be relatives.  Since they came on board, there's been a noticeable downgrade in quality, and the prices went up.   

Offline Marty Runik

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1878 on: September 11, 2014, 05:24:44 PM »
Is there a current thread discussing the recent clone recipe for the Macks pizza? I can't seem to find it? Thanks everyone.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1879 on: September 11, 2014, 05:42:26 PM »
If I were going to make a boardwalk pizza, I would probably go down the Mac's road just to make something different, and because a lot of people associate that taste with Boardwalk pizza.  However, if I get back to OC or Wildwood at some point, I'll be going elsewhere.  Maybe my tastes have changed, or maybe it's because I grew up at the shore with so many good Italian pizza shops around, and, going to the boardwalk and eating a lot of non Mack's Pizza.  For me, a good NY Style slice and a boardwalk slice are the same.  I see no difference between Joe's on Carmine Street, and some of the best pizza on Boardwalk. 
I do recall liking Maruca's way back when, but the Sawmill was definitely better.  I used to drive an ice cream truck, and I stopped at Maruca's off boardwalk location a lot.  I thought it was good, and I was fascinated by the process.  I think at some point they tried to make themselves into a chain, and they opened more locations.  I tried a slice a few years ago and it was awful. 
I remember trying Mac and Manco's many years ago and liking it.  I tried it a few years ago, and it was just alright.  It wasn't as crispy as I remembered it, and the cheese blend didn't do anything for me.  I went a couple doors down to Three Brothers from Italy and got one of their monster slices.  That was spot on for me.  Really one of the best slices I've had. 
There's a place here in Harrisburg that does a NY style, and think the brothers that own it are from NYC.  They do other stuff also, like Pan, Grandma, Pittsburgh, White Holiday, German, BBQ, steak, etc.  But, on their plain pie, they use a cheese blend that I would say is similar to Mac's.  They've changed suppliers, so the cheese isn't quite as good as what they used to use, but it's still good.  I said I didn't care for the cheese blend, but their NY style crust is so good, that it's really a quite tasty product. 
I haven't been there in awhile though.  I like Galbani cheese from the grocery store, but, like I said, whatever they are using, it's not as good as their previous cheese.  They also added some new staff that I assume to be relatives.  Since they came on board, there's been a noticeable downgrade in quality, and the prices went up.   
I can hardly figure out what you are trying to say....first paragraph is a complete contradiction...
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan