Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 177923 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #340 on: June 04, 2010, 09:41:55 PM »
Your De Lorenzo clone looks promising, also.  I could imagine Mackís pizza being something like a De Lorenzoís pie, because before, I also noted that both the Mack family and Manco family apparently came from Trenton NJ and learn their pizza making skills there before going to the shore.

Norma,

I recalled that you mentioned the De Lorenzo's/Mack's/Manco connection, but until you brought up the subject of sugar and oil earlier today I hadn't thought to look at the De Lorenzo dough clone formulations, although I vaguely recalled using sugar and oil in the De Lorenzo clone doughs. The challenge then was to get pizza cuts that were stiff from the edge to the center (i.e., not floppy), without a crackery overall crust but with a hard rim that gave one's jaws a workout. The Mack's clone pizzas I made did not have those characteristics even with the similarity of dough formulations. It's possible that with the much larger size (18") of the Mack's clone pizzas and the thicker crusts (larger value of thickness factor), the Mack's clone pizzas had a much different character.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #341 on: June 06, 2010, 09:25:27 PM »
Okay, Pinocchio and Gepetto wanted to help me with the Mackís clone, again today.  I asked them if they are willing to help today and guess what they said!  No, we just want to watch.  Well...I had to do something about that, since they also want this pizza to turn into a Mackís clone.  I said since they only wanted to watch I am going to pick the song today and also have a clone Pinocchio join me, since he was willing to help.  Clone Pinocchio and I picked the song today. Maybe all this will help, but again, maybe not.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAioeWL1xaU" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAioeWL1xaU</a>

I mixed the clone dough earlier this morning to try and simulate how the dough might be made in the morning and used some time during the day or possibly the next day. 

This is the formula I used.

Flour (100%):    284.47 g  |  10.03 oz | 0.63 lbs
Water (55%):      156.46 g  |  5.52 oz | 0.34 lbs
IDY (0.35%):      1 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.33 tsp | 0.11 tbsp
Salt (2%):                 5.69 g | 0.2 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.19 tsp | 0.4 tbsp
Olive Oil (6%):    17.07 g | 0.6 oz | 0.04 lbs | 3.79 tsp | 1.26 tbsp
Sugar (2%):                   5.69 g | 0.2 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.43 tsp | 0.48 tbsp
Total (165.35%):     470.37 g | 16.59 oz | 1.04 lbs | TF = 0.08252

For this attempt, I increased the yeast, oil, and sugar.  I forgot to add a bowl residue, but got the bowl fairly clean.

The flour was sifted and the dough was mixed by hand.  I left the dough sit on the counter for an hour before putting it into the refrigerator.  I took the dough ball out of the refrigerator today at 4:00 pm. and left it warm up for until I just made the pie about an hour ago.  I didnít want to let the dough out that long, but other things preoccupied me. 

Seems like there is always a problem with something I try.  O well, I did weigh the dough ball and it weighed 1.01 lb.  I also weighed the Beiry Mild White Cheddar and it was 6 oz.  I weighed the Gangi sauce and it weighed, 7 oz.  I pressed hard on the skin and it opened nicely.  I then got the cheese I had grated out of the refrigerator and started to put the first layer on the pizza.  I donít know why, but the grated white cheddar wanted to stick together.  Next the Gangi sauce.  I started to put it on the pizza and realized I forgot to add water to thin it down.  Well no use adding water now, because I already started.  I had to weigh out another 1 oz. of sauce.  That is the reason the sauce looks so thick and blotchy.  I sprinkled the remainder of the cheese over the pie.  My big peel at market was left on top of my oven and Friday when I went to market, it must have rained and came down my vent.  Well the peel was warped, so I thought I would bring it home and try to get it straightened out and also use it today.  I loaded the pie onto the pizza stone.  After it started to bake, I looked though the window of the oven.  Low and behold there were big bubbles just forming on the one side of the pizza.  Quick grab the fork. 

When the pie was almost finished baking, I remembered I forgot to rig up some way to weigh the baked pizza.  Well I tried different ways and none of them were working with my metal peel in combination with something else. Quick check the pie again.  It was finished, but I still didnít have my metal peel and something else to weigh the pie.  Until I found something the pie was a little overbaked.  The freshly baked pie weighed 1.69 lb.  Some of the cheese dripped off the side of the baking stone, again.

I even had my beachfront property I purchased in Wildwood to help.

O well, just another day in pizza making.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #342 on: June 06, 2010, 09:27:13 PM »
more pictures

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #343 on: June 06, 2010, 09:30:57 PM »
2 more pictures..said file size too large  :-\

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #344 on: June 06, 2010, 09:32:17 PM »
last two pictures

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #345 on: June 06, 2010, 10:04:25 PM »
Norma,

I think you very nicely captured the Mack's look of the rim and bottom crust. Also, it appears that your unbaked pizza weight was in line with what I calculated using the numbers for my last 18" pizza. Based on your before and after weight numbers (30.16 ounces and 27.04 ounces, respectively), the weight loss was about 10.3%.

How did you like the pizza? And do you have any other assessments or observations?

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #346 on: June 06, 2010, 10:27:39 PM »
Peter,

Thanks for saying the rim and bottom crust looked like Mackís. Good to hear my numbers were in line with yours.

The pizza was good, but over baked, as I said in my last post.  The mild white cheddar I used still didnít taste like a Mackís pizza.  I think the next time I give this a Mackís clone a try, I will use longhorn and see how that goes.  The sauce did taste like Mackís, but then it is the same sauce Mackís uses.  I added just oregano and grated black pepper to the sauce.  The skin didnít have as many  bubbles this time and although I just made the dough today, the crust still had a good flavor.  Even with using a lower hydration, the dough still worked out well.  I donít know if I left the dough out to warm-up to long or what happened with the big bubbles on the one side of the crust when baking.  I used the infrared thermometer and the oven was 500 degrees F.  I don't know why the white cheddar cheese wanted to stick together, either.  After I grated it, I put it right back into the refrigerator until I was ready to use it.  Maybe the mild white cheddar I did use today would have tasted better if the pie wasn't over baked.

Do you have any other suggestions on how to approach this Mackís clone in terms of the dough formulation? 

I was really warm and humid here this morning, but they were calling for a cool front to come though this afternoon, so I thought I would give the Mackís clone another try.  At least the kitchen didnít get hot and just with the windows open, the temperature was okay.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #347 on: June 06, 2010, 10:51:43 PM »
Do you have any other suggestions on how to approach this Mackís clone in terms of the dough formulation? 

Norma,

After I have had a chance to revisit things I may have some new ideas. But, for now, I don't have anything new to offer. As I noted before, I was considering doing something along the lines of what you did although I hadn't decided on whether to make a same-day dough or a next-day dough. In some respects, a next-day dough provides greater flexibility from a planning and inventory management standpoint than a same-day dough although, as I noted before, it should be possible to come up with a dough formulation that can be used both same day and next day. In fact, that could help explain the many different looks we have seen for the Mack's pizzas.   

No doubt the 6% olive oil added to the crust flavor. You perhaps also got the wheat flavor of the high-gluten flour.

Peter

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #348 on: June 07, 2010, 11:50:27 PM »
Looks really great  ;D Bet it tastes even better!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #349 on: June 08, 2010, 06:19:30 AM »
hotwawce,

Thanks for saying the Mackís clone looks great, but I over baked it.   The taste of the crust was good, but we are having problems with finding a mild cheddar cheese that tastes like a real Mackís pizza.  Even if we found out what brand of mild white cheddar the real Mackís pizza uses, it would be a problem for members to find their brand, because it is probably purchased in 40 lb. blocks.  That is why we are trying different brands that can be purchased at a regular grocery store. I am trying different kinds of mild white cheddar, that can be purchased at a regular grocery store to see if any of those mild white cheddars might have the same flavor as a real Mackís pizza.  This is a continuing journey, just as the video I posted in reply #341.  When the elephant is flying with the monkey and searching for a shooting star to wish on, we really know elephants canít fly, but we can dream of something happening, which it might not.  I donít know if we will ever be able to find a mild white cheddar that will compare with a real Mackís pizza, but I can wish.

The crust is coming along okay, but still needs some work.  Trying to clone a pie is difficult.

Norma
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 06:21:50 AM by norma427 »

Offline CAPSLOCK

« Reply #350 on: June 08, 2010, 08:39:27 PM »
I don't have much to add to this thread other than thanks for all of the hard work.

I lived in OC NJ the summer after I graduated HS in an apartment above a non descript pizzeria (Aldos?), we hardly ever ate there and opted to hike a great distance to Mac's to get pizza, that was some good stuff for sure, and worth the trek.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #351 on: June 08, 2010, 11:02:51 PM »
I don't have much to add to this thread other than thanks for all of the hard work.

I lived in OC NJ the summer after I graduated HS in an apartment above a non descript pizzeria (Aldos?), we hardly ever ate there and opted to hike a great distance to Mac's to get pizza, that was some good stuff for sure, and worth the trek.

CAPSLOCK,

Since you lived in Ocean City, NJ, didn't you ever try Mack and Mancos pizza?  They were there for a long while.  Their pizza is about same as Mack's pizza. I agree Mack's pizza is something different and would like to be able to create a Mack's clone.  Only time will tell if we ever will be successful.

Norma

Offline CAPSLOCK

« Reply #352 on: June 09, 2010, 11:59:33 AM »
CAPSLOCK,

Since you lived in Ocean City, NJ, didn't you ever try Mack and Mancos pizza?  They were there for a long while.  Their pizza is about same as Mack's pizza. I agree Mack's pizza is something different and would like to be able to create a Mack's clone.  Only time will tell if we ever will be successful.

Norma

We ate pretty much everywhere, for sure had Mack and Manco's a number of times since it was close to where my g/f at the time worked, good stuff indeed. Sad to think that was 20 years ago and I now live in a pizza deprived area (West Coast), of course that's why I make my own now  :chef:

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #353 on: June 09, 2010, 12:41:28 PM »
Sad to think that was 20 years ago and I now live in a pizza deprived area (West Coast), of course that's why I make my own now  :chef:

CAPSLOCK,

I also remembered the Mack's pizza from more than 20 years ago.  I didn't know the West Coast was such a pizza deprived area.  I think you would be able to get better results in making your own pizzas.  Great you are making your own pizzas.   :chef:

Norma

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #354 on: June 13, 2010, 10:47:05 AM »
Funny,
I was just at the Wildwood Acme getting breakfast supplies and thought I would see what they had in the cheese dept.  They had Acme brand Longhorn mild white cheddar cheese!! Of course I had to buy a couple pounds.  It was $1.88 for 8 ounces.  I will try it Fathers day on my next macks attempt.

Have a great day all!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #355 on: June 13, 2010, 11:08:02 AM »
Funny,
I was just at the Wildwood Acme getting breakfast supplies and thought I would see what they had in the cheese dept.  They had Acme brand Longhorn mild white cheddar cheese!! Of course I had to buy a couple pounds.  It was $1.88 for 8 ounces.  I will try it Fathers day on my next macks attempt.

Have a great day all!

ERASMO,

That's great you found some Longhorn mild white cheddar cheese.  Did you have any success in making a Mack's clone before, in the taste of the cheese?  I hope your Mack's clone attempt goes well.  :)

Have a great day, too.

Norma

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #356 on: June 13, 2010, 11:12:21 AM »
My past attempts were with mozz and cheddar blended.  This will be my first go at all cheddar.  We will see how it goes and I will post pics.  I wish I could find some gangi sauce close by.  I have been using full red with water salt pepper and oregano.  I also only have all trumps ans so strong flour.  No kyrol.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #357 on: June 13, 2010, 11:27:40 AM »
My past attempts were with mozz and cheddar blended.  This will be my first go at all cheddar.  We will see how it goes and I will post pics.  I wish I could find some gangi sauce close by.  I have been using full red with water salt pepper and oregano.  I also only have all trumps ans so strong flour.  No kyrol.

ERASMO,

I have tried different brands of mild white cheddar and none of them compare with how Mack's cheese tastes on the pie.  I am soon out of the Gangi Sauce, too.  It can be purchased at Bova Foods.  I am going to try another paste tomato product in some of my future attempts.  I think All Trumps is comparable to Kyrol.  If you need some, let me know, I can purchase it at my local Country Store, in around 5 lb. bags.  It is usually under 2.00.

Norma

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #358 on: June 13, 2010, 11:32:27 AM »
Thanks norma.  If you think the AT is similair than I won't sweat it.

I was by macks last night and checked around back.  It seems they must process there cheese at another location or they are really keeping it a seret. 

We had sams pizza last weekend and they just have all there trash piled up in the back of the store in plain view.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #359 on: June 13, 2010, 11:45:39 AM »
Thanks norma.  If you think the AT is similair than I won't sweat it.

I was by macks last night and checked around back.  It seems they must process there cheese at another location or they are really keeping it a seret. 

We had sams pizza last weekend and they just have all there trash piled up in the back of the store in plain view.

ERASMO,

All Trumps seems to be similar to me.  It is also a bromated flour with around the same protein content. 

It's good you are still checking for the cheese.  8)  I think the cheese wrappers would be in some of the cardboard containers, broken down.  I did see the big cardboard boxes behind the one Mack's and they had all kinds of broken down cardboard boxes inside one another. 

Norma