Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 171894 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #800 on: October 06, 2011, 02:44:57 PM »
If it tastes the same, then we'd have another guy to bribe and another dumpster to dive! :-D

Steve,

Leave me out of the bribing, but your other alternative I might be up for.  :-\

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #801 on: October 08, 2011, 01:01:17 PM »
Bill from Trenton, NJ called me again this morning to discuss how we might find out what brand of white cheddar Mackís might be using.  We talked about how we could find out what kinds of white cheddars were produced for commercial pizzerias 50 years ago.  I donít know how to find that information out, so if someone knows how to do that let me know.  Bill is older than I am, and remembers Marucaís at North Olden Ave. in Trenton, NJ.  They are the same Marucaís that are in Seaside Heights, NJ now.  Bill still states that Mackís, Mack and Mancos, and Marucaís all use the same mild white cheddar.  Bill said he looked at the code number on the box of the block of mild white cheddar I bought, and then went to the distributor and the number on the box and the number on the box at the distributor were the same.  At the distributor the owner said that is the exact cheese Mackís and the others use.  I said I had tried that mild white cheddar in different pies and the cheese sure doesnít melt or taste like Mackís cheese.  I told Bill after the pie cools, the cheese gets rubbery, and is nothing like the cheese on Mackís pizza.   Bill said right now he doesnít want to ask the distributor more questions because he thinks he might get suspicious.  Bill now thinks they must blend the kind of cheese I bought with another kind of mozzarella.  I told him I have no idea about that.  I told Bill I have checked Feesers in Harrisburg and they also sell 40 lb. blocks of white cheddar, but I am not sure if it is the same brand I bought.  When I am finished with the large block I bought, I might purchase a 40 lb. block from Feesers, but I am not sure if I will do that because the white cheddar I bought does get moldy fast.  I froze most of the white cheddar, but the cheddar I kept either in aluminum foil, or plastic bags in my deli case is starting to get moldy.  The taste of the mild white cheddar still hasnít changed.  Feesers does deliver to NJ. http://feesers.com/  and doing a product search http://feesers.com/productsearch/product_category_sample.cfm?pbh_no=1875&search_type=P  Does anyone know what brand of white cheddar is the DRUCK or the  P L brand?  At least from the search for white cheddar on Feesers website, I found that Feesers does sell All Trumps unbleached flour, so I guess that wouldnít be bromated too. http://feesers.com/productsearch/product_category_sample.cfm?pbh_no=0600&search_type=P

Bill also said that DeLorenzoís Tomato Pies have changed over the years and only the oldest location pies still taste the same.

Bill said he doesnít drive much anymore, but would try to get to my pizza stand someday.  Bill also makes pizzas many times like I do.  Bill said he is going to try some blends of retail cheddars on some Mackís attempts and will get back to me in a week or more.

Norma
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 01:04:59 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #802 on: November 13, 2011, 07:49:31 PM »
I mixed another Mackís clone dough tonight, because I tasted a new cheddar cheese today at the supermarket.  It is Dietz and Watsonís New York State Cheddar Cheese.  I thought it would be sharp, but is wasnít, and it does have a nice tang.  The Dietz and Watsonís New York State Cheddar Chesses is also creamy.  I have no idea how it will bake on a Mackís pizza though. 

Norma

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #803 on: November 14, 2011, 11:45:57 AM »
I mixed another Mackís clone dough tonight, because I tasted a new cheddar cheese today at the supermarket.  It is Dietz and Watsonís New York State Cheddar Cheese.  I thought it would be sharp, but is wasnít, and it does have a nice tang.  The Dietz and Watsonís New York State Cheddar Chesses is also creamy.  I have no idea how it will bake on a Mackís pizza though. 

Norma

Just for those of you who like hot dogs with natural casing for that snap, Dietz and Watson's makes excellent hot dogs.   I buy D&W and they are some of the best.  Don't eat hot dogs a lot but if I do it's often D&W.  I buy Nathan's sometimes, non-casing style too.  But check out D&W natural casing they are awesome.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #804 on: November 14, 2011, 07:30:53 PM »
Hi Norma,
I am in Atlantic City on the Boardwalk , anything I should try to taste or investigate for you whilst I am here for a few days ? I saw a few big ole slice joints during a quick walk earlier on the boardwalk. Is there any Neapolitan Pizza in AC?
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #805 on: November 14, 2011, 08:44:43 PM »
Hi Norma,
I am in Atlantic City on the Boardwalk , anything I should try to taste or investigate for you whilst I am here for a few days ? I saw a few big ole slice joints during a quick walk earlier on the boardwalk. Is there any Neapolitan Pizza in AC?
John

John,

If you are driving, you could try Mack and Mancos at Stone Harbor.  Stone Harbor isnít far away from Atlantic City.  I never tried Mack and Mancos, but they are supposed to be like Mackís pizza.  Some people have different opinions between Mackís Pizza and Mack and Mancos. http://www.yelp.com/c/stone-harbor-nj/pizza and http://www.menuism.com/restaurants/mack-manco-too-stone-harbor-122254 Mack and Mancos website isnít running right now.  Launch date is supposed to be 11/17/2011 http://www.mancospizza.com/  If you can find out anything about Mack and Mancos or the cheese they use that would be great!  ;D There are many slice joints at the shore, but I have no idea how good they are.  I havenít been to Atlantic City for a few years.  The last time I was there it was before my pizza making days.

I have no idea about Neapolitan pizzas in Atlantic City, but this is one I found. http://www.theborgata.com/Main.cfm?Category_1=4000&Category_2=4200&Category_3=4250   Have fun, and I hope you find some good pizzas!  :)

Norma

Offline BOARDWALKER

« Reply #806 on: November 16, 2011, 06:02:59 PM »
The place in Stone harbor is called "Mackrone's", not "Mack and Manco".  It is supposedly owned by a Mack's family member, however, their pies do not compare to Mack's or Mack and Manco.  Mackrone's is a seasonal business and is closed for the winter.

I regularly eat at both Mack's and M&M, and i have come to prefer Mack and Manco.  In the past few years, Mack's has begun to throw extra cheese on top of their pies after they apply the sauce over the bottom layer of cheese.  I prefer M&M in that they still do it the original way, without extra cheese  - it provides a better sauce to cheese ratio.

Looking forward to Norma's Dietz and Watson cheddar clone.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 06:05:11 PM by BOARDWALKER »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #807 on: November 16, 2011, 10:05:25 PM »
The place in Stone harbor is called "Mackrone's", not "Mack and Manco".  It is supposedly owned by a Mack's family member, however, their pies do not compare to Mack's or Mack and Manco.  Mackrone's is a seasonal business and is closed for the winter.

I regularly eat at both Mack's and M&M, and i have come to prefer Mack and Manco.  In the past few years, Mack's has begun to throw extra cheese on top of their pies after they apply the sauce over the bottom layer of cheese.  I prefer M&M in that they still do it the original way, without extra cheese  - it provides a better sauce to cheese ratio.

Looking forward to Norma's Dietz and Watson cheddar clone.

BOARDWALKER,

Thanks for cleaning up that the place I mentioned to John isnít Mack and Manco.  :) I didnít either remember or know that.  It is interesting you said the pie at Mackroneís doesnít compare to Mackís or Mack and Manco.  It is also interesting you prefer Mack and Mancos over Mackís pizza, and why you prefer Mack and Manco.  Since you have tasted pies from both places, do you think there is any difference in their sauce or the crusts? 

I will post about the attempt at the Mackís pizza with the Dietz and Watson sharp cheddar tomorrow.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #808 on: November 17, 2011, 06:40:24 AM »
The Mackís attempt with the Dietz and Watsonís sharp white cheddar went okay in terms of the crust and sauce, but the flavor of the Dietz and Watsonís sharp white cheddar didnít taste like the cheese Mackís uses.  The Dietz and Watsonís sharp white cheddar was a very creamy and a buttery cheese when baked on the Mackís attempt.  If anyone likes a different flavor when making a pizza in the cheese, the Dietz and Watsonís sharp white cheddar is a good cheese to give a try.  It melted very well, was greasy, didnít break down, and added a very delicious taste to the pizza.  Steve, Randy, my taste testers, and I all enjoyed this cheese on a pizza.

The sauce used was the Great Value tomato paste from Walmart.  It also was very good and close to the taste of a Mackís pizza.  I added a fair amount of dried Oregano, a little dried basil, salt, pepper, and water to thin the paste.  The Great Value tomato paste also is a good paste to use for sauce for a pizza in my opinion.  After adding the spices, the sauce sat for awhile and it really changed the flavor profile.  We thought the flavor profile really became better.

We all enjoyed the Mackís attempt with the Dietz and Watsonís sharp white cheddar, but I should have put less cheese on the Mackís attempt.

Randy, a friend of Steveís and mine, that comes to market each week, seems to be very knowledgeable about almost anything, and we all were talking about maybe what kind of white cheddar that might have been used back in the 50ís for a pizza businesses.  Randy mentioned Cooper American sharp cheddar, because he knew it was made years ago.  He said Cooper American sharp cheddar does have a tang and is creamy.  I checked on the web about Cooper sharp cheddar and found it was made in the Pa. area in the 50ís.  http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_makes_cooper_sharp_cheese  I can easily purchased some Cooper sharp cheddar to try on a Mackís attempt maybe for another week.  If anyone has access to Cooper sharp American, maybe they might want to try the cheese on a Mackís attempt.  Cooper sharp cheddar is like an American cheese with a tang, but I am not sure if Cooper sharp cheddar is manufactured by Schreiber Foods, Inc. or not.  This is a picture of 5 lb. of Cooper Sharp American cheese and it can be purchased at Walmart.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cooper-Sharp-American-Cheese-5-Lb/15136820  I would guess, but donít know, if the Cooper Sharp Yellow American might taste like the Cooper Sharp White American. http://www.shoprite.com/pd/Cooper/Cheese-Sharp-Yellow-American/1-lb/277747000000/  Another link for product finder for Cooper Sharp American cheese, if anyone is interested. http://www.hannaford.com/product/Deli/Cheese/Slicing-Cheeses/Cooper-Sharp-Cheese/c/28189/sc/46299/ssc/46308/794622.uts?refineByCategoryId=46308

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #809 on: November 17, 2011, 06:45:06 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #810 on: November 17, 2011, 06:46:08 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #811 on: November 17, 2011, 06:47:19 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #812 on: November 17, 2011, 06:48:14 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #813 on: November 17, 2011, 06:49:28 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #814 on: November 17, 2011, 06:50:03 AM »
Norma

Offline BOARDWALKER

« Reply #815 on: November 17, 2011, 08:42:28 AM »
Norma,

The sauce and crust are identical.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #816 on: November 17, 2011, 09:27:47 AM »
I got a big kick out of the last photo showing the gentleman with his mouth open. The lady behind him also has a puzzled look on her face.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #817 on: November 17, 2011, 10:12:25 AM »
Norma,

The sauce and crust are identical.

BOARDWALKER,

The sauce and crust were okay, now the journey is still on for the cheese.  Hopefully someday, I will either find the brand of cheese Mack's uses, or a decent retail brand to use.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #818 on: November 17, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
I got a big kick out of the last photo showing the gentleman with his mouth open. The lady behind him also has a puzzled look on her face.

Peter

Peter,

Glad you got a big kick of the last photo showing the gentleman with his mouth open and the lady behind him having a puzzled look on her face.  You should see the strange looks and questions Steve and I get about taking all the pictures of the pizzas we make.  The people wonder why we are taking the pictures of pizzas.  Normal people only take pictures of friends, family, scenery, vacations, or other things that might interest them.  Only members that are on this forum are crazy enough to be taking pictures of pizzas all the time and trying to understand pizza.  :-D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #819 on: November 17, 2011, 03:02:49 PM »
I had to run some errands today, and stopped at the Country Store to pick up some other groceries.  The lady behind the deli counter let me taste a slice of Cooper Sharp American cheese.  It does taste good, but I have no idea how it will taste on a Mackís pizza.  If I have time, I will make another Mackís attempt for this coming Tuesday with the Cooper Sharp American cheese.  I looked on the label on the loaf of Cooper Sharp American cheese and it is made by Schreiber Foods, Inc.

Norma

pizzapan