Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 177398 times)

Offline desant89

Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #880 on: March 14, 2012, 08:54:43 AM »
All,

I have read through this entire post.  I am going to be purchasing a shop in the next few weeks, and will also be trying my best to mimic this pizza.  It has been a long time since I worked in a Pizza shop, but I do have about 9 years of experience although it was a long time ago.  Some of these Dough recipes seem confusing to me.  I am hoping someone can assist.

I do have something to offer to this topic also.  I know there is Lard in Mack's and Mancos dough.  I have a friend that has been there for a long time, and am sure of that.  I have not seen him for a while, but I know that for sure!  Hopefully one of you can figure out how to incorporate that.  I am assuming they use it instead of oil possibly?  Also, please remember that this is for the Mack's and Mancos (Now Mancos and Mancos) in Ocean city as the one in Wildwood is much different.  OC is my favorite Pizza, and I do not even care for the one in WW and would prefer Sam's to it.  Thanks!

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #881 on: March 14, 2012, 09:02:50 AM »
desant89,
 Do you know what cheese is used for either Macks or Mancos pizza?

Offline desant89

« Reply #882 on: March 14, 2012, 09:17:49 AM »
desant89,
 Do you know what cheese is used for either Macks or Mancos pizza?

No, but I am working on finding out.  I myself and wondering if they both use the same cheese.  However, Mack's and Mancos is the one I am after.  I will keep everyone posted.  Thanks!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #883 on: March 14, 2012, 09:36:26 AM »
All,

I have read through this entire post.  I am going to be purchasing a shop in the next few weeks, and will also be trying my best to mimic this pizza.  It has been a long time since I worked in a Pizza shop, but I do have about 9 years of experience although it was a long time ago.  Some of these Dough recipes seem confusing to me.  I am hoping someone can assist.

I do have something to offer to this topic also.  I know there is Lard in Mack's and Mancos dough.  I have a friend that has been there for a long time, and am sure of that.  I have not seen him for a while, but I know that for sure!  Hopefully one of you can figure out how to incorporate that.  I am assuming they use it instead of oil possibly?  Also, please remember that this is for the Mack's and Mancos (Now Mancos and Mancos) in Ocean city as the one in Wildwood is much different.  OC is my favorite Pizza, and I do not even care for the one in WW and would prefer Sam's to it.  Thanks!

desant89,

Welcome to the forum.  :) What donít you understand about the dough formulations on this thread?  They are done in bakerís percents.  Everything in the formulations for doughs is based on the flour being 100% and the other ingredients are listed by percents, so each dough will turn out the same, if regular dough management methods are used, such as mix time, final dough temperature, etc.  In my opinion weighing out in volume can produce different results in dough.

eiram21 also posted at Reply 712 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg146744.html#msg146744 that there is lard in the dough.  If you can find out what type of lard is used in the maybe someone can come up with another formulation using lard.  They could use lard instead of oil.  I have replaced oil with lard or manteca in some of my doughs. 

The cheese also is still a mystery on this thread, but it is thought to be a white cheddar from Wisconsin.  We really donít know who the supplier is.

Best of luck in opening your own pizza business!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #884 on: March 14, 2012, 09:39:39 AM »
desant89,

These are the dough tools that members use to calculate dough formulations.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/dough_tools.html

The expanded dough calculating tool was used for different formulations on this thread.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html

Norma

Offline desant89

« Reply #885 on: March 14, 2012, 09:45:48 AM »
Thank you all.  I see it now.  Had a brain fart or something.  I get it now that all of the other percentages are against the amount of flour used.  So to make a full batch, I am assuming I just use those same percentages against the amount of flour used in a larger scale correct?  Are there any compensations that need to be made when using that same formula for a larger batch?

I will be working hard on finding out brands and suppliers too.  I was in touch with my friend last week.  Just a matter of what I can get him to tell me.  I do know that all of their workers sign a non-disclosure when hired.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #886 on: March 14, 2012, 09:55:31 AM »
Thank you all.  I see it now.  Had a brain fart or something.  I get it now that all of the other percentages are against the amount of flour used.  So to make a full batch, I am assuming I just use those same percentages against the amount of flour used in a larger scale correct?  Are there any compensations that need to be made when using that same formula for a larger batch?

I will be working hard on finding out brands and suppliers too.  I was in touch with my friend last week.  Just a matter of what I can get him to tell me.  I do know that all of their workers sign a non-disclosure when hired.

desant89,

You are correct that all of the other percentages are based against the amount of flour that is used.  You can either do your calculation for the size pizza you want to make or use the dough weight option to be able to do dough formulations.  There is also a bowl residue option, that compensates for any dough that might be left on the mixer bowl, hook, hands, etc. 

Using a commercial mixer can give you different results in mixing your dough and also final dough temperature, water temperature, and other variables can change how your dough turns out.

Good to hear you will ask your friend about suppliers and ingredients.  If he signed a non-disclosure he might only be able to give you limited information or he might get into trouble.

Dumpter diving might give you information without getting your friend in trouble.

Norma

Offline desant89

« Reply #887 on: March 15, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »
If I wanted to use Peter's dough recipe in a commercial environment, would I still use KABF?  Are there large bags of that available, and is it a feasible option due to cost?

Ultimately I want to come as close as I can to that Mack's and Manco's style, and it seems as though Peter's interpretation would be sufficient.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #888 on: March 15, 2012, 12:02:18 PM »
If I wanted to use Peter's dough recipe in a commercial environment, would I still use KABF?  Are there large bags of that available, and is it a feasible option due to cost?

Ultimately I want to come as close as I can to that Mack's and Manco's style, and it seems as though Peter's interpretation would be sufficient.

desant89 ,

I will let Peter answer your question more fully if he wants to, but from what I have seen Mackís seems to be using Kyrol flour which is a high-gluten bromated flour.  I think any bromated flour like All Trumps, Kyrol, Pillsbury Balancer, or others would work.  I think Peter uses KABF with VWG because he doesnít normally use bromated flours.  There are 50 lb. bags of KABF available though.  They can be purchased at a distributor.

Did you find any other information out about what type of lard might be used in Manco and Mancoís dough?

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #889 on: March 15, 2012, 01:18:06 PM »
Norma has it right. I am just a home pizza maker and can't use large bags of high-gluten flour so I use KABF plus vital wheat gluten. I use that blend to emulate a higher gluten flour for textural reasons. The flour to use is a high-gluten flour, and preferably the same one as Mack's uses. If lard is to be used, it can be substituted for oil on a weight basis without having to make any other adjustments.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #890 on: March 15, 2012, 02:37:07 PM »

If lard is to be used, it can be substituted for oil on a weight basis without having to make any other adjustments.

Peter

Peter,

I think I am going to try your formulation with the Goya (manteca) lard this coming week.  Should I just melt the lard?  I still have some of the Acme cheddar that ERASMO posted about frozen.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #891 on: March 15, 2012, 03:06:41 PM »
I think I am going to try your formulation with the Goya (manteca) lard this coming week.  Should I just melt the lard?

Norma,

I think you can do it either way, liquid or solid, but as Tom Lehmann points out at his PMQTT post at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6110&p=38163&hilit=#p38163, if you choose to use the lard in liquid form you may want to add it later in the dough making process.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #892 on: March 15, 2012, 03:21:46 PM »
Norma,

I think you can do it either way, liquid or solid, but as Tom Lehmann points out at his PMQTT post at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6110&p=38163&hilit=#p38163, if you choose to use the lard in liquid form you may want to add it later in the dough making process.

Peter

Peter,

Thank you for your link to what Tom Lehmann had to say.  I think I will add the Goya (manteca) lard without melting first.  I never tried to add a solid lard to any pizza dough that I recall, so I would be interested in how that dough turns out. 

I wonder why liquid oil doesnít seem to hurt the MM clone doughs I have tried.  I always add the oil with water and molasses and that dough doesn't seem to have problems.  I should have posted about that on the MM thread.

Norma

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #893 on: March 15, 2012, 06:18:00 PM »
Norma

I often make breads with lard, shortening and butter, (not all in the same bread :-)), and I have no trouble using them in their solid form.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #894 on: March 15, 2012, 07:20:13 PM »
Norma

I often make breads with lard, shortening and butter, (not all in the same bread :-)), and I have no trouble using them in their solid form.

Dave,

Thanks for telling me when you make bread you use lard, shortening and butter in the mix and have no trouble using them in their solid form.  When do you put the solids in the mix for your breads?

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #895 on: March 18, 2012, 02:33:21 PM »
I used Peterís formulation to mix this dough, but replaced the oil with Goya manteca lard this time.  The dough was soft after mixing.  I put the Goya manteca lard right in with the other ingredients to mix and mixed for 7 minutes.  I also greased the dough ball with the Goya manteca lard.

Norma

Offline desant89

« Reply #896 on: March 20, 2012, 10:04:49 AM »
Norma,

I am dying to know how things go with this dough using the lard.  I just purchased a home mixer, and stone last night so that I can start practicing at home, and think that for my first try, I may use the lard since we know Mack's and Manco's use it.  Very curious about your result though.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #897 on: March 20, 2012, 09:56:55 PM »
Using Peterís formulation with just changing the oil to Goya manteca lard sure changed the crust on the final pizza.  The dough handled the same as before when opening it and could be tossed very well.  When it came time for the bake two screens had to be put under the bottom crust or it would have gotten too dark.  I donít know either if it was the way I mixed the lard in the dough, but the crust was very soft after it was baked.  Steve, my taste testers, and I liked the crust this way, but it wasnít like a Mackís pizza.  I donít know how using a different product such as  Goya manteca lard makes such changes in the crust when using Peterís formulation.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #898 on: March 20, 2012, 09:57:46 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #899 on: March 20, 2012, 09:58:37 PM »
Norma