Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 180433 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #900 on: March 20, 2012, 09:59:23 PM »
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #901 on: March 20, 2012, 10:00:41 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #902 on: March 20, 2012, 10:01:41 PM »
Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #903 on: March 20, 2012, 10:02:25 PM »
How do you get the cheese and sauce on in a spiral like that?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #904 on: March 20, 2012, 10:03:02 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #905 on: March 20, 2012, 10:03:40 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #906 on: March 20, 2012, 10:14:04 PM »
How do you get the cheese and sauce on in a spiral like that?

Craig,

The cheddar cheese on Mackís clones always has some of the cheese applied first, then the sauce is applied in a spiral with a squeeze bottle like Peter posted at Reply 101 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg96820.html#msg96820  Then more cheese is applied.  At Mackís they use a hose to apply the sauce.

Norma

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #907 on: March 20, 2012, 10:36:49 PM »
Norma,
 What the heck is Pinocchio doing to Jimminy Cricket? Remember, this is a family forum here! :-D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #908 on: March 20, 2012, 10:45:07 PM »
Norma,
 What the heck is Pinocchio doing to Jimminy Cricket? Remember, this is a family forum here! :-D

Steve,

Lol, did you do that?  :-D  You were the one that placed them on the counter.   :o

Norma

Offline desant89

« Reply #909 on: March 21, 2012, 08:45:17 AM »
A couple of things to add.  Mack's and Mancos has 3 shops on the Ocean City Boarwalk.  However, only 2 of them use the hose.  One of them uses some kind of container with a spout to pour it on.  I have not seen it, but I go there at least 12x a year, just not to the location that uses the container.  My friend that I go with has been going there forever, and told me about it.  I am going to find out what it looks like, and hopefully get a pic.

I have a question about the dough also.  I made a batch yesterday (first one) using Peter's recipe, and replacing the oil with Lard.  After I balled it, I placed it into a glad container, then sealed the lid on and put it in the fridge.

1st Question is should I of have totally sealed the lid?

2nd Question is when I take it out of the fridge to bring it to room temp for 2 to 3 hours, should the lid be sealed or unsealed?

I ask this cause when I worked in a shop, we put them in tins which in no way totally seal like these containers do.  Thanks in advance!

Offline desant89

« Reply #910 on: March 21, 2012, 08:50:05 AM »
Using Peterís formulation with just changing the oil to Goya manteca lard sure changed the crust on the final pizza.  The dough handled the same as before when opening it and could be tossed very well.  When it came time for the bake two screens had to be put under the bottom crust or it would have gotten too dark.  I donít know either if it was the way I mixed the lard in the dough, but the crust was very soft after it was baked.  Steve, my taste testers, and I liked the crust this way, but it wasnít like a Mackís pizza.  I donít know how using a different product such as  Goya manteca lard makes such changes in the crust when using Peterís formulation.

Norma

Norma,  when I made my doughballs yesterday, I put the lard in later in the mixing process (like I see most do with the oil), and I wiped regular oil on the ball before refrigerating.  I am going to take a ball to my friends shop and have him make me a pie with it for lunch today.  Not sure how much I will be able to tell as he will not be using my ingredients, but I will at least know how it cooks.  Later tonight I will make a 16" at home on my stone.  I will post some results after lunch on how it cooked.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #911 on: March 21, 2012, 08:59:53 AM »
I use plastic containers for my dough. I just poke a little hole in the lids to keep the pressure from building.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #912 on: March 21, 2012, 09:18:14 AM »
desant89,

I wish you luck with the way you mixed the lard in your dough and with baking your pizza at home and in your friends shop.  :) I will be waiting for your pictures and what you thought of Peterís formulation with adding lard.

I looked on all of my olive oil containers, vegetable oils, and Goya manteca lard at home.  I really donít see that much difference in the amounts of fats in the Nutrition Facts, except for 1%.  I donít know how the Goya manteca lard would have made such a difference in using Peterís formulation, but it did.

The last time I visited Mackís pizza right after they opened in the morning, they werenít using a hose either.  I posted a picture of the stainless steel pouring vessel that looked like something like Mackís was using at Reply 320 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg99603.html#msg99603  It could have been a little bit bigger than what I posted.

Norma

Offline desant89

« Reply #913 on: March 21, 2012, 10:00:26 AM »
desant89,

I wish you luck with the way you mixed the lard in your dough and with baking your pizza at home and in your friends shop.  :) I will be waiting for your pictures and what you thought of Peterís formulation with adding lard.

I looked on all of my olive oil containers, vegetable oils, and Goya manteca lard at home.  I really donít see that much difference in the amounts of fats in the Nutrition Facts, except for 1%.  I donít know how the Goya manteca lard would have made such a difference in using Peterís formulation, but it did.

The last time I visited Mackís pizza right after they opened in the morning, they werenít using a hose either.  I posted a picture of the stainless steel pouring vessel that looked like something like Mackís was using at Reply 320 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg99603.html#msg99603  It could have been a little bit bigger than what I posted.

Norma

I wonder if Lard maybe has a lower flashpoint, and it being on the outside of the doughball could of have had an affect on it cooking more rapidly on the bottom.  However, it is discouraging that switching to lard made it taste LESS like Macks and Mancos pizza...

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #914 on: March 21, 2012, 10:07:54 AM »

I wonder if Lard maybe has a lower flashpoint, and it being on the outside of the doughball could of have had an affect on it cooking more rapidly on the bottom.  However, it is discouraging that switching to lard made it taste LESS like Macks and Mancos pizza...

desant89,

I really donít know if lard has a lower flash point.  Maybe the kind of lard you tried or the way you mixed it into Peterís formulation will give you different results.  I have no idea why but the whole crumb and bottom crust were soft in my Mackís attempt, even though the bottom crust was baked enough.

I will be interested in your results.

Norma

Offline desant89

« Reply #915 on: March 21, 2012, 10:35:37 AM »
desant89,

I really donít know if lard has a lower flash point.  Maybe the kind of lard you tried or the way you mixed it into Peterís formulation will give you different results.  I have no idea why but the whole crumb and bottom crust were soft in my Mackís attempt, even though the bottom crust was baked enough.

I will be interested in your results.

Norma

Norma,

For reference, I used Armour brand Lard.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #916 on: March 21, 2012, 10:48:36 AM »
Norma,

For reference, I used Armour brand Lard.

desant89,

Thanks for referencing what kind of lard you used!  :)

Norma

Offline desant89

« Reply #917 on: March 21, 2012, 01:37:48 PM »
Ok, so I went to my friends place, and had him use my dough.  Mixed results....

1. Elasticity was great, stretched out perfect, and did not overcook on the bottom at about 540 degrees.

2. The crist did not rise at all, and remained thin.  I was not liking the crust too much.

3. Some of the pizza was a little tough on the bottom when chewing.

Overall it was not horrible, just some things need correction.  I do not think the lard created an issue at all.  I think it was all me.

Procedure:

ok, so I made the dough, balled it, and immediately placed it in the fridge.  After 22 hours, I took it out of the fridge, and left it out for 3 hours.  It did not rise that much at all.  I am thinking the issue may lie in that.  Should I cold ferment longer? Maybe let it rise some, and then refrigerate from the start?

As for making the pizza, I had him start off making the entire disc flat, and then stretch as normal.  As you can see the crust just stayed really thin.  Pictures below if it allows me to post them.......Thanks!

Offline desant89

« Reply #918 on: March 21, 2012, 01:44:04 PM »
Pics...

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #919 on: March 21, 2012, 02:27:43 PM »
desant89,

Which formulation of Peterís did you use with the lard?  Did you use the formulation I had tried at Reply 854 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg168058.html#msg168058 for an experiment (that was not the formulation I used for yesterday) or was it another one of Peterís other formulations?  I have my copy of the formulation I used of Peterís for a 2 day cold ferment if you want me to copy and post it.  Also what percent of yeast did you use in the formulation?  I can almost tell by making so many pizzas about the right amount of yeast (IDY) to use for a one or two day cold ferment.  For my pie I made yesterday I used a 2 day cold ferment.  After you make some more pizzas, you will learn how much yeast might be needed for a 1 day cold ferment.  Did you take your final dough temperature and can you tell us what the temperature was of your refrigerator where the dough is stored?  All these things should be considered in making your dough to be able to get it to ferment enough.  If the dough is not fermented enough, then you can let it at room temperature longer, or until you think it has fermented enough to use.  Also what TF (thickness factor) did you use in the formulation.

Norma

pizzapan