Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 168229 times)

Offline matermark

Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #580 on: March 30, 2011, 06:27:16 AM »
Norma, I understand it may be hard to duplicate an exact recipe, but it shouldn't be this hard just to find out the ingredients!  :pizza:

Can someone tell me why I can't see what I'm typing and the input box is jumpy & jittery once you go off the bottom? I especially had this problem when doing a quoting reply.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 09:54:09 AM by matermark »

Offline Meatballs

« Reply #581 on: April 03, 2011, 11:03:23 AM »
Wow, took me 2 days to read this whole thread, some of it on my smartphone while watching tv.  My Aunt used to live in Wildwood Crest and my uncles ran a restaurant (The Hitching Post) in Wildwood, but, I don't remember Mack and Manco's or Macks growing up (in the 60's and very early 70's.)  I've tried a cheddar pizza and we really liked it, I was wondering if you could post a recipe of where you are at right now in the developement of this project.  I've noted several dough recipes and see where mild cheddar or a colby seem to be the cheese of choice.  As for the sauce, if one can't get Gangi for a base, what would be next best?  I know that you're trying to clone the Mack and Manco's pizza, but, If one wanted to get into the ballpark with ingredients available nationwide ( I live in the Deep South now) what would you recommend at this point? I can get Kraft Mild Cheddar at commodity pricing, it's yellow, but anato coloring doesn't affect the flavor so...

I've already tried using my Lehman style dough with a mixture of mozzarella and Kraft sharp cheddar with my usual 6 in 1 sauce and the pizza was stellar, my wife really loved it.  Since she was so pleased I though I would pursue this style more seriously.  

Impressive work, Norma, Peter, et. al.

Ron

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #582 on: April 03, 2011, 12:59:33 PM »
Wow, took me 2 days to read this whole thread, some of it on my smartphone while watching tv.  My Aunt used to live in Wildwood Crest and my uncles ran a restaurant (The Hitching Post) in Wildwood, but, I don't remember Mack and Manco's or Macks growing up (in the 60's and very early 70's.)  I've tried a cheddar pizza and we really liked it, I was wondering if you could post a recipe of where you are at right now in the developement of this project.  I've noted several dough recipes and see where mild cheddar or a colby seem to be the cheese of choice.  As for the sauce, if one can't get Gangi for a base, what would be next best?  I know that you're trying to clone the Mack and Manco's pizza, but, If one wanted to get into the ballpark with ingredients available nationwide ( I live in the Deep South now) what would you recommend at this point? I can get Kraft Mild Cheddar at commodity pricing, it's yellow, but anato coloring doesn't affect the flavor so...

I've already tried using my Lehman style dough with a mixture of mozzarella and Kraft sharp cheddar with my usual 6 in 1 sauce and the pizza was stellar, my wife really loved it.  Since she was so pleased I though I would pursue this style more seriously.  

Impressive work, Norma, Peter, et. al.

Ron

Ron,

I can believe it took you two days to read all the posts in this thread.  :-D  Thanks for hanging in!  Right now I think, but don’t know, that maybe a combination of mild cheddar and sharp cheddar might be a good combination to try or maybe a colby with some sharp cheddar.  If you can't get Gangi for the base, I would think Walmart’s tomato paste would be a decent selection, with the addition of some ground black pepper and oregano.  You would need to thin the sauce with water though.  The Gangi sauce does have a tart or different flavor, but when the pizza is baked it changes.  I don’t really think yellow cheddar will matter in the taste.  I hope you continue on this journey with the rest of the members on this thread.  When I have time to visit Mack’s again or try a new cheese or maybe change the formula for the dough I will post.  I won’t forget about this thread.  I would like members to be able to make a decent clone of Mack’s or Mack and Manco’s pizza.

I think Peter reported his best results at Reply 307 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg99472.html#msg99472 and I think I reported my best results at Reply 399 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg103522.html#msg103522

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Meatballs

« Reply #583 on: April 03, 2011, 05:50:10 PM »
Thank you Norma,

My Mom and Step-Dad are coming down to south Alabama on Tuesday and I'm going to make Pizza the day they arrive, since I can have everything ready and just make and bake when we get home from the airport.  I'm sure that Joe, my step-dad will be familiar with Mack and Manco's or Macks and I'll get his opinion and send a pic of the pie.  I'll probably try using Kraft medium cheddar but I'll make the sauce with Wal-Mart tomato paste as you recommend.  I'll use your dough and prepare it tonight.  Thanks for all your work in nailing this down, I'm out to impress some yankee natives.

Ron

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #584 on: April 03, 2011, 07:43:52 PM »

My Mom and Step-Dad are coming down to south Alabama on Tuesday and I'm going to make Pizza the day they arrive, since I can have everything ready and just make and bake when we get home from the airport.  I'm sure that Joe, my step-dad will be familiar with Mack and Manco's or Macks and I'll get his opinion and send a pic of the pie.  I'll probably try using Kraft medium cheddar but I'll make the sauce with Wal-Mart tomato paste as you recommend.  I'll use your dough and prepare it tonight.  Thanks for all your work in nailing this down, I'm out to impress some yankee natives.

Ron

Ron,

I hope you can impress your Mom and Step-Dad with your Mack’s pie.  ;D If Joe lived in Wildwood, I am almost positive he has tried Mack’s pizza.  Will be interesting to hear what he thinks of your pie.

Best of luck and post pics if you can.  :)

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #585 on: April 05, 2011, 12:57:07 PM »
Just a note to say that I split off most of the recent posts on the Mack's cheese so that the subject can be more fully addressed there rather than prolong this thread. The moved posts are now under the Pizza Cheese board. If we ever learn who the source of the cheese is, I might move the new thread to the Resources board. In due course, I may even delete this post.

Peter
(Moderator)

Offline Meatballs

« Reply #586 on: April 06, 2011, 10:09:04 AM »
Norma,

Thank you so much for your work on this pizza, you made me look good.  I made the boardwalk pizza as per your crust in the post above and gave it a 2 day refrigerator rise.  The dough was great, handled really well and cooked to perfection.  The sauce was Hunts paste with some water, oregano and pepper.  I was apprehensive but it was great.  I used the squeeze bottle technique to great effect.  I used Kraft medium yellow cheddar 5 ounces and 3 ounces of Cacique Mozzarella blend.  The Pizza was (key here is the word "was" 14 inches)

I baked at 500 def F. for 4 minutes on an aluminized steel plate in a commercial convection oven.  The cheese oiled out at an alarming rate, but, once it sat for 2 minutes and cooled a little, it reabsorbed some and was just a little oily on top, nicely greasy actually.

The rim, as pictured, was amazingly flat, and, looking at the photos of a real Macks pie, authentic.  This pizza was awesome!  I made it first out of 3 pies, the other two my normal dough and cheese.  By the time I had all the pies cooked, only half of the boardwalk was left.  My Mom and Step-Dad were awed by the Macks clone.  They are from Doylestown, PA. and are long time devotees of both Wildwood and Wildwood Crest and are familiar with the local pizza.  I don't think it was exactly like a Macks, but it definitely reminded them of the awesome flavor of a Macks.  The pizza was the most loved of the three I made, I was truly surprised at how fast it went and the complements they were throwing about.

Now to the pics...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 10:11:42 AM by Meatballs »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #587 on: April 06, 2011, 10:36:58 AM »
Norma,

Thank you so much for your work on this pizza, you made me look good.  I made the boardwalk pizza as per your crust in the post above and gave it a 2 day refrigerator rise.  The dough was great, handled really well and cooked to perfection.  The sauce was Hunts paste with some water, oregano and pepper.  I was apprehensive but it was great.  I used the squeeze bottle technique to great effect.  I used Kraft medium yellow cheddar 5 ounces and 3 ounces of Cacique Mozzarella blend.  The Pizza was (key here is the word "was" 14 inches)

I baked at 500 def F. for 4 minutes on an aluminized steel plate in a commercial convection oven.  The cheese oiled out at an alarming rate, but, once it sat for 2 minutes and cooled a little, it reabsorbed some and was just a little oily on top, nicely greasy actually.

The rim, as pictured, was amazingly flat, and, looking at the photos of a real Macks pie, authentic.  This pizza was awesome!  I made it first out of 3 pies, the other two my normal dough and cheese.  By the time I had all the pies cooked, only half of the boardwalk was left.  My Mom and Step-Dad were awed by the Macks clone.  They are from Doylestown, PA. and are long time devotees of both Wildwood and Wildwood Crest and are familiar with the local pizza.  I don't think it was exactly like a Macks, but it definitely reminded them of the awesome flavor of a Macks.  The pizza was the most loved of the three I made, I was truly surprised at how fast it went and the complements they were throwing about.

Now to the pics...

Ron,

I am glad your Mom and Step-Dad were awed by your Mack’s clone.  ;D It does look delicious!  The combination of cheeses you used were very good and Mack’s real pizza also oils off too!  You did a great job in capturing the Mack’s crust.  I think, like you any tomato paste can be used, with added spices.  When I tasted the Gangi sauce, right out of the can, I though how could that make a good pizza sauce, because it tasted like tomato paste, but when it baked, just like your sauce, it tasted different.  The Gangi sauce has added basil, but I couldn’t taste the basil.  

Great job!  Thanking for posting your pictures and what you did to make your Mack’s pie.

Norma

Offline Pizzamaster

« Reply #588 on: April 06, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
I haven't been to the shore for 20 years. But I remember Mack's. Didn't eat there. I remember we went to a place a little farther down. For the life of me can't remember the name. But I do remember the main pizza guy was named Nino. It would be nice if anyone knows where I am talking about.

On the Subject of Mack's is the crust foldable or is it crispy?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #589 on: April 06, 2011, 06:46:46 PM »

On the Subject of Mack's is the crust foldable or is it crispy?

Pizzamaster,

Mack's slices can be folded.

Norma

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #590 on: April 06, 2011, 07:27:24 PM »
Pizzamaster

Was it Sams Pizza?
http://samspizzawildwood.com/

Offline Pizzamaster

« Reply #591 on: April 06, 2011, 07:41:37 PM »
Boy that seems familiar. But I don't recognize that building. They were in the the strip down past midway.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #592 on: April 06, 2011, 09:46:35 PM »
ERASMO and Pizzamaster,

I don’t remember any other pizza years ago, other than Macks.  Could it be "Franchi's"?

http://www.doowopusa.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1283532264/4  The Wildwood Doo Whop  Preservation League has a forum on places and pizza businesses in Wildwood years ago.

A search can be done on the Wildwood Doo Whop Preservation League by selecting Mack’s pizza or any other pizza business and I think the search can go back to any posts by selecting “This post was made in the last...” then select, all posts” if anyone is interested to see what is posted on Mack’s or other pizza businesses, by looking under the message board for search, then pushing the search button.

Norma
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 07:48:12 AM by norma427 »

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #593 on: April 07, 2011, 07:17:38 AM »
Boy that seems familiar. But I don't recognize that building. They were in the the strip down past midway.

I think that is a new building. If I remember correctly they burnt down once.

Offline BOARDWALKER

« Reply #594 on: April 07, 2011, 11:51:25 AM »
Although both families came from Trenton, NJ (ala DeLorenzo's Tomato Pies), Mack's and Sam's are different animals.  Sam's uses a blend of Red Pack and 6-in-1 tomatoes and tops it with Grande mozzarella.  They do not use cheddar.  Sam's is preferred by most locals, while Mack's is the "shoobie" (tourist) choice.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #595 on: April 10, 2011, 02:21:37 PM »
I decided to make another attempt at a Mack’s pizza, so I made another dough ball this morning and used the formula at the end of this post.  I will be making the pizza Tuesday.  This will be my first attempt at an 18" pizza on this thread.

I decided to change the formula after Peter’s response at Reply 493 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg112760.html#msg112760 and after I wasn’t quite satisfied with how the crust was coming out after the bake.  I have been thinking about making another dough for awhile, but I didn’t get around to it until today.  I used ADM flour in the formula.

Pinocchio and  Jiminy Cricket are waiting patiently, to see if this attempt will be more like a real Mack’s pizza.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKh6XxYbbIc&amp;feature=fvwrel" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKh6XxYbbIc&amp;feature=fvwrel</a>

Norma
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 02:23:36 PM by norma427 »

Offline Meatballs

« Reply #596 on: April 10, 2011, 03:54:17 PM »
Mom and Step-Dad wanted pizza again and specifically requested "That Boardwalk Pizza".  So...I made 2 more 14 inchers for when we returned from seeing our boy at Auburn U.  There was only one slice left, and that was out of courtesy.  They really love Norma's crust from... http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg103522.html#msg103522

I'm interested to see how your revised formula works, Norma, the posting above is really a good crust. I was even able to spin it in the air second time around when I made it...everybody was impressed. 

Ron

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #597 on: April 10, 2011, 04:36:55 PM »
Mom and Step-Dad wanted pizza again and specifically requested "That Boardwalk Pizza".  So...I made 2 more 14 inchers for when we returned from seeing our boy at Auburn U.  There was only one slice left, and that was out of courtesy.  They really love Norma's crust from... http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg103522.html#msg103522

I'm interested to see how your revised formula works, Norma, the posting above is really a good crust. I was even able to spin it in the air second time around when I made it...everybody was impressed.  

Ron

Ron,

I am glad you liked the formula I used and were able to spin it in the air your second time around. I can imagine how your Mom and Step-Dad were impressed with your being able to spin the skin.  :)

I am only trying another formula because I am not satisfied how my crust tasted compared to Mack’s.  I know we probably never will get it exactly right. At least with each formula that is tried in any style of pizza, there is something to be learned.  

Thanks for posting about your pies!

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #598 on: April 11, 2011, 06:10:36 PM »
Pinocchio and Jiminy Cricket insisted on going along to market today.  Usually they don’t want to help me with any work, but they are anxious to see how the next attempt at a Mack’s pizza will be.  The dough ball today looks something like a Mack’s dough, but I have no idea how the dough ball will handle when opening the dough ball into a skin ,and then baking it into the pizza.  Hopefully it will be able to spin in the air.  I am trying out 5 kinds of cheese on the attempt tomorrow.  The cheeses are two kinds of white sharp cheedar, Fontina, and two kinds of mozarella, with the white cheddars being the predominate cheese. 

At least I remembered to take my bigger peel along to market today.

Pictures of the dough ball today and Pinocchio and Jiminy Cricket helping at market.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #599 on: April 12, 2011, 11:02:31 PM »
I was happy today, that this attempt for Mack’s pizza was the best I have done so far.  ;D The crust reminded me more of Mack’s crust and even the whole pizza, more than any I have tried so far in this thread. The taste of the crust was really good and even had the same texture as a Mack’s crust, at least in my opinion.  The dough performed well, and could be tossed many times. Steve took two videos of me tossing the dough, and after I look at them, if they are okay, I will upload them on Youtube.  The dough ball looked just like a dough ball sitting at Mack’s.  I let the dough ball warm-up for two hours and as can be seen on the top and bottom of the dough ball, it looks something like Mack’s dough balls. Even the crust coloration was about the same as Mack’s.  The crust was foldable and had the right crispness.

Even the blend of cheeses almost tasted like Mack’s cheese, after being baked on the pizza. I had other people sample the Mack’s attempt and they asked me if I am going to continue making this kind of pizza. That is how much they liked it.  

Thanks Peter, for pointing me in the right directions to get the results I had today, on this Mack’s attempt.  :chef: I don’t know what kind of award I can give you, but I am grateful for getting the results I did today.  

Pinocchio and Jiminy Cricket were jumping for joy when they saw this pizza.  :-D Steve really enjoyed this pizza too.  Steve had brought me two bottles of his home brewed pale ale to take home to try today, but after this pizza turned out so well, we broke open a bottle and celebrated.

Edit:  I forgot to add in my post last evening, I thought the bottom crust was almost browning too fast, so I put a screen under the pizza for about 45 seconds.

Pictures below

Norma
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 07:00:46 AM by norma427 »

pizzapan