Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 178580 times)

Offline PizzaEater101

Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #820 on: November 17, 2011, 09:32:04 PM »
Norma, your pizzas look amazing.  Never had a Boardwalk pizza before but the pics of the ones you make me want to eat one so much!  Nice job Norma as always!   :pizza:

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #821 on: November 18, 2011, 07:41:52 AM »
Norma, your pizzas look amazing.  Never had a Boardwalk pizza before but the pics of the ones you make me want to eat one so much!  Nice job Norma as always!   :pizza:

James,

Thanks for your kind comments!  Mackís or Mack and Mancos is like a NY style pizza, at least in my opinion.  If you look at the formula I used at Reply 595 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg134713.html#msg134713
you can see the TF is in the range of a NY style pizza.  The vegetable/canola oil percent is 5% and there is 1.5% sugar in the formula. The hydration is a little low, but the vegetable/canola oil makes up for that. Mackís uses Kyrol flour and that is a bleached and bromated flour, something they also use for NY style pizzas.  I also used the Kyrol flour in my last attempt.  I have no idea what formula Mackís is really using, but this formula seems to work okay for me in my recent attempts for a Mackís clone attempt.  I think the major difference is only white cheddar is used as the cheese, and no mozzarella.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #822 on: November 19, 2011, 05:51:24 PM »
I read this blog about Mack and Mancos and had to laugh, because it was called ďRolling in the DoughĒ?    :-D
The blogger and I guess friends went undercover.  This is what part of the blog said.
So we went "under cover". It was a tough job ... sitting down at each of Mack & Manco's locations, multiple days ... at different times during the day. We ran a stopwatch (true, we're THAT lame). We tallied results. Did some math, some estimating ... and counted a lot of pizza shells flying through the air. It was at this point, I was glad I spent 4 years in college getting a math degree. I would have been more interested in statistical analysis and data collection - if I knew where it would one day lead me.  Our best guess is that (during busy times) each store makes between 12 and 14 pizzas every 5 minutes! ... that's around 150 pizzas every hour during busy hours. We'll leave it up to you to do the rest of the math of how many stores, how many hours, how many days ... how much money.
But one thing's for sure ... it's a lot of dough!  If anyone is interested and wants to read the rest of the article it is at.
http://oceancity-nj.com/blogarticles/oceancity-mackandmancospizza.cfm

Another article I donít think was posted before about Mack and Manco and being in Ocean City N.J. for 55 years.
http://articles.philly.com/2011-05-19/news/29560797_1_pizza-pizzeria-ocean-city-boardwalk

It always seem to go back to where the owners of Mackís and Mack and Mancos came from Trenton N.J.  I wish I could find more information about their pizzeria in Trenton N.J. before they moved to Wildwood and Ocean City N.J.  I havenít been successful in finding that information.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #823 on: November 20, 2011, 02:46:22 PM »
The dough ball is made for a Mack's clone attempt.  Now to see how the Cooper Sharp American cheese works out.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #824 on: November 23, 2011, 10:04:22 AM »
Well, my attempt with the Mackís pizza didnít turn out well with the Cooper Sharp American cheese, or the same dough formula I used before.  I can understand the Cooper Sharp American cheese might not have worked, but the same formulation not working has me stumped, when I used it before with decent results. 

On the good side, Steve, Randy, my other taste testers and I did enjoy the taste of Cooper Sharp American on this attempted Mackís pizza.  The Cooper Sharp American alone or with another combination of cheeses is something I would try in the future, but not on a Mackís attempt.  All in all, this pizza was really good, even if it wasnít a good Mackís attempt.  This attempt was Randyís favorite pizza of all the experiments I made yesterday.  Steve also liked this pizza. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #825 on: November 23, 2011, 10:05:32 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #826 on: November 23, 2011, 10:06:46 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #827 on: November 23, 2011, 10:07:57 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #828 on: November 23, 2011, 10:08:57 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #829 on: December 11, 2011, 02:51:28 PM »
For anyone that is interested, and might have missed these posts, a new member (ThatsATastyPizza) Alexia, posted that his family runs a restaurant for over 45 years at the NJ shore.  Alexia said they serve Trenton syle tomato pie with a cheddar cheese base and sauce in a bulls-eye patter on top of the cheese.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16718.0.html

I couldnít resist asking Alexia if he would share what kind or brand of cheese they used, since I have been on this cheese hunt for a long while.  :-D  Alexia said the cheese they use is from US Foods and is an extra sharp white cheddar.  He also said it is US Foods brand so it is not available in stores.  He said to try the Cracker Barrel extra sharp white or Cabot for a good approximation.  If anyone wants to try and purchase some of the house brand of extra sharp white cheddar from US food it would be good to know if that cheese works to be able to make a Mackís pizza.  Eventually I will try to contact US Foods about their house brand of extra sharp cheddar.  In the meantime, maybe someone wants to try out the extra sharp Cabot or Cracker Barrel extra sharp white and see how that works out if someone wants to try an attempt on a Mackís pizza.

Maybe in time, we will learn more about Alexia dough.

Norma

Offline BOARDWALKER

« Reply #830 on: December 18, 2011, 12:32:09 PM »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #831 on: December 18, 2011, 02:17:41 PM »
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/20111218_Ocean_City_pizza_icon_slices_up_its_name.html

Mack and Manco's is now "Manco and Manco's".   

BOARDWALKER,

Thanks so much for posting the link to the article that Mack and Mancoís is now going to be called Mancos and Mancos.  I thought the article was very interesting.  :)

Norma

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #832 on: December 18, 2011, 08:27:43 PM »
There is this place I go to eat pizza sometimes called Mama's Brick Oven Pizza.  It is in South Pasadena which might be about 7 miles from me.  Anyway they are a NY Style pizza place. When I went a couple of weeks ago they had a pizza that looked like a Mack's boardwalk pizza  with the swirl sauce pattern.  I never saw it there before.  I did not have it because I had the "Manhattan" which is a meat lovers type of pizza.  Next time I go there I will ask them about the swirl. Now I am wondering if they read this forum and got the idea from this discussion.  Remember this is Southern California, and it's unlikely they know anything about a Boardwalk pizza unless they went there on vacation and tried it.  Wonder if this discussion prompted them to make this pizza because I never saw it before.  Don't think I even saw it on the menu.

Check them out -

http://mammasbrickoven.com/

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #833 on: December 18, 2011, 10:06:22 PM »
There is this place I go to eat pizza sometimes called Mama's Brick Oven Pizza.  It is in South Pasadena which might be about 7 miles from me.  Anyway they are a NY Style pizza place. When I went a couple of weeks ago they had a pizza that looked like a Mack's boardwalk pizza  with the swirl sauce pattern.  I never saw it there before.  I did not have it because I had the "Manhattan" which is a meat lovers type of pizza.  Next time I go there I will ask them about the swirl. Now I am wondering if they read this forum and got the idea from this discussion.  Remember this is Southern California, and it's unlikely they know anything about a Boardwalk pizza unless they went there on vacation and tried it.  Wonder if this discussion prompted them to make this pizza because I never saw it before.  Don't think I even saw it on the menu.

Check them out -

http://mammasbrickoven.com/

James,

Thanks for telling us about the swirl pizza at Mamaís Brick Oven Pizza. I donít know if they got the idea of swirl pizza off this forum, but Slice has many posts about swirl pizzas.  Some of them are:  http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/02/swirl-pizza-philadelphia-roxborough-alexs-review-what-is-swirl-pizza.html  and http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2006/08/in_wildwood_new_jersey_its_macks_vs_sams.html  There are also more swirl pizzas on Slice.  Maybe Mamaís Brick Oven Pizza got the ideas from Slice or the owners might have been from the NJ or Phila. Area, or know someone that has been in the area.

It would be interesting if you visit Mamaís brick Oven Pizza and you ask them where they got the idea for a swirl pizza. 

Thanks for your help in this thread.  :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #834 on: December 19, 2011, 07:52:25 PM »
I called US Foods in New Jersey this morning to see if I could find out more about their house brand of extra sharp white cheddar.  The man that I talked to told me they donít retail their products.  I said I didnít want to buy retail and I owned a pizza business.  He asked me where I was located and I said in the Lancaster County, Pa. area.  He said for them to be able to let me buy their products I would need a 2,000.00 minimum order.  ??? I asked the man if I would be coming by their business sometime if I could pick-up a block of their house brand of extra sharp white cheddar.  He said they donít normally allow that.  I said I would call again if I am ever in their area to see if it was possible for me to try their extra sharp white cheddar house brand. 

Norma

Offline eiram21

« Reply #835 on: December 19, 2011, 08:12:17 PM »
Hi Norma!
Wow - your latest attempt sure looks a lot like Manco's pizza! I'd just love to try making it at home. I saw the formulation using the KABF on your blog, but I didn't see mixing times or whether you did a cold rise or room temp? Did you post the instructions somewhere? Are you prefermenting? If I don't use starter, I often end up with "yeasty" taking crust.

Thanks a bunch,
Marie
Marie

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #836 on: December 19, 2011, 08:30:03 PM »
Hi Norma!
Wow - your latest attempt sure looks a lot like Manco's pizza! I'd just love to try making it at home. I saw the formulation using the KABF on your blog, but I didn't see mixing times or whether you did a cold rise or room temp? Did you post the instructions somewhere? Are you prefermenting? If I don't use starter, I often end up with "yeasty" taking crust.

Thanks a bunch,
Marie

Marie,

I have been using high-gluten flour to make the attempted Mackís clone.  I usually use Kyrol flour, but you can see in Peterís formula how he used KABF and VWG to make a higher protein mix. 

One of the formulas that worked out well for me is the formula at Reply 784 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg153116.html#msg153116 and Peterís formula was also in that reply.

The dough formulas I have been using donít use a preferment.  They are usually cold fermented for 2 days.  I mix in my Kitchen Aid mixer.  I now add the oil to the water, then add the rest of the ingredients than mix awhile.  You can see Peter used a food processor also, and his pizza turned out well too. 

I donít think the formula I used gave a yeasty tasting crust, but if someone else that has tried my formula for my attempts and think so, I donít mind if they post that.

If you need any other links or have questions, just ask.

Norma

Offline eiram21

« Reply #837 on: December 19, 2011, 08:31:34 PM »
thanks, Norma! I'll try this out after the holidays...

Marie,

I have been using high-gluten flour to make the attempted Mackís clone.  I usually use Kyrol flour, but you can see in Peterís formula how he used KABF and VWG to make a higher protein mix. 

One of the formulas that worked out well for me is the formula at Reply 784 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg153116.html#msg153116 and Peterís formula was also in that reply.

The dough formulas I have been using donít use a preferment.  They are usually cold fermented for 2 days.  I mix in my Kitchen Aid mixer.  I now add the oil to the water, then add the rest of the ingredients than mix awhile.  You can see Peter used a food processor also, and his pizza turned out well too. 

I donít think the formula I used gave a yeasty tasting crust, but if someone else that has tried my formula for my attempts and think so, I donít mind if they post that.

If you need any other links or have questions, just ask.

Norma
Marie

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #838 on: December 19, 2011, 08:36:03 PM »
thanks, Norma! I'll try this out after the holidays...

Marie,

Best of luck!  :)  I don't know if you saw where I posted about the extra sharp cheedar Alexia told me to try, but if you didn't see that post, he said to try extra sharp Cabot cheddar or extra sharp Cracker Barrel cheddar.  I haven't tried them yet.

Norma

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #839 on: December 19, 2011, 09:27:01 PM »
I have been using sharp or extra sharp (white) cheddar both in a blend and alone. 
It works better as a blend, alone it bleeds entirely too much oil.

pizzapan