Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 183150 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #860 on: January 18, 2012, 11:19:06 AM »
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #861 on: January 18, 2012, 11:20:10 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #862 on: January 18, 2012, 11:23:33 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #863 on: January 29, 2012, 07:15:01 PM »
Peter,

For the formulation you used at Reply 307 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg99472.html#msg99472 what kind of salt did you use in the expanded dough calculating tool?  I want to try your formulation for a Mack’s clone for Tuesday since I haven’t tried it before.  I want to make sure I also use the kind of salt you used in your formulation. 

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #864 on: January 29, 2012, 07:49:36 PM »
Peter,

For the formulation you used at Reply 307 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg99472.html#msg99472 what kind of salt did you use in the expanded dough calculating tool?  I want to try your formulation for a Mack’s clone for Tuesday since I haven’t tried it before.  I want to make sure I also use the kind of salt you used in your formulation. 

Norma

Norma,

It was regular table salt, much as I suspect Mack's uses.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #865 on: January 29, 2012, 08:06:08 PM »
Norma,

It was regular table salt, much as I suspect Mack's uses.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks!

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #866 on: January 29, 2012, 11:03:01 PM »
Peter's formulation mixed well.  These are two pictures of right after the mix, and after I left the dough ferment for 1 1/2 hrs at room temperature, before placing the dough ball in the refrigerator to cold ferment until Tuesday.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #867 on: February 01, 2012, 08:35:17 AM »
I am glad I tried Peter’s formulation for a clone Mack’s pizza.  I thought his formulation in the deck oven came closest to a Mack’s pizza.  The crumb was about the same as a Mack’s pizza and also tasted very good.  The dough ball was very easy to open.  I really pressed on the dough so there wouldn’t be much of any open spring.

There was a slight mishap in making this Mack’s clone pizza.  :o The Cracker Barrel extra sharp white cheddar cheese was shredded awhile before the pizza was made and it gotten soft sitting at room temperature.  Randy had put the sauce in a plastic squeeze bottle.  I started to put the sauce on the middle and as I was trying to make the swirl pattern to the edges, and somehow the lid flew off.  :-\ Maybe the sauce was a little too thick. It then made a big splatter on the edge of the skin.  I had quickly put the sauce back into the plastic container and somehow some strands of cheese must have gotten stuck in the plastic container.  I was finishing applying the sauce and somehow a piece of cheese got stuck in the plastic cut off lid.  I squeezed really hard and the piece of cheese and sauce went flying out all over and even hit a woman walking in the aisle. The plastic lid stayed on this time.  The sauce hit the woman’s forehead and some got on her T-shirt.  I was embarrassed and got some wet papers towels to help her clean her T-shirt.  :-[ The woman was so upset and said I had pointed the container at her, which I didn’t , because the sauce even hit the side where the cash register sits.  The piece of cheese that was stuck in the lid was also stuck there.  Steve cleaned that mess up.  Thankfully the woman’s husband or boyfriend wasn’t as upset as she was.  Finally her T-shirt was clean.  I then slide the pie into the oven.

I think this Mack’s clone attempt tasted more like a Mack’s pizza than my other Mack’s clone attempts.  The cheese doesn’t taste exactly like Mack’s cheese but has a good tang like Mack‘s, is buttery tasting and oils a lot. 

Steve took a video of me trying to throw the dough, but I am so bad at throwing dough, that the one time I went to catch the dough I used my finger tips and tore the dough.   It can be seen in the second video where the dough was tore. It was my fault that the dough tore.  I quickly pinched it back together and it held nicely when the pie was baked. 

This next video is of Steve using the pizza cutter to slice the Mack’s attempt.

Thanks Peter for setting-forth your dough formulation for a Mack’s clone.  :) Sorry I didn’t try it before.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #868 on: February 01, 2012, 08:38:33 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #869 on: February 01, 2012, 08:39:35 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #870 on: February 01, 2012, 08:40:40 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #871 on: February 01, 2012, 08:42:30 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #872 on: February 01, 2012, 08:43:56 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #873 on: February 01, 2012, 08:44:57 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #874 on: February 01, 2012, 08:46:02 AM »
Norma

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #875 on: February 01, 2012, 08:53:07 AM »
This was a great pizza! My favorite of the day, and a good time was had by almost everyone around. >:D

I think we need some "CAUTION: PIZZA MAKERS AT WORK" signs put up around Normas' stand! :-D

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #876 on: February 01, 2012, 09:17:26 AM »
Thanks Peter for setting-forth your dough formulation for a Mack’s clone.  :) Sorry I didn’t try it before.

Norma,

No need to apologize. There is an overabundance of good dough recipes on the forum and one can't be expected to try them all, although if anyone were to try, I think you would be the one.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #877 on: February 01, 2012, 09:42:07 AM »
This was a great pizza! My favorite of the day, and a good time was had by almost everyone around. >:D

I think we need some "CAUTION: PIZZA MAKERS AT WORK" signs put up around Normas' stand! :-D

Steve,

I am glad that the Mack’s clone attempt was your favorite of the day.  ;D That darn Randy started laughing so hard when that mishap happened, and as you saw, I had a hard time getting my straight face on to help that poor woman.  It wouldn’t be a bad idea to put up a sign that says “Caution: Pizza Makers At Work”!  :-D At least we have fun while we are working.  >:D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #878 on: February 01, 2012, 09:46:44 AM »
Norma,

No need to apologize. There is an overabundance of good dough recipes on the forum and one can't be expected to try them all, although if anyone were to try, I think you would be the one.

Peter

Peter,

I know there is an overabundance of good dough recipes on the forum and I wish I could try each and every one of them out.  At least I do have a deck oven to try some of the attempts that need a deck oven. 

I don’t even know why I didn’t try out your Mack’s clone formulation before, but it was the best.   ;D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #879 on: February 24, 2012, 08:20:39 AM »
It was posted about the “Pizza Tour” in Wildwood before on this thread, but I don’t think this video was posted before about a visit to different pizzerias in Wildwood.  At least I never watched the video before.  I thought it was fun watching this video to see all the pizzas in Wildwood. http://www.wildwoodpizzatour.com/   These 4 guys tried 25 pizzerias in Wildwood and Mack’s pizza was voted #1 pizza at around 7:28 in the video and on their website. http://www.wildwoodpizzatour.com/macks-pizza/   Maybe others wouldn’t agree that Mack‘s pizza should be voted #1 in Wildwood, but I do, even though I never tried all of those other pizzerias in Wildwood.  In this video I can’t really see in the final baked pizza at Mack’s how the swirl of sauce is applied. The sauce and the cheese appears to me to be melted well together.

I think those guys in the video are as crazy as some members on this forum.  :-D They really look at all the pizzas, smell them, look at the up-skirts, and generally talk about how each slice tastes.  Wildwood does have a lot of pizzerias.

Watching this above video of Wildwood brings back fond memories of Mack’s and Wildwood.  Maybe it is true that the first great pizza you eat will stay in your mind forever.  At least that is what happened to me.

A customer came to my pizza stand for a slice of pizza this past Tuesday.  Steve noticed the man was wearing a Mack & Mancos hat.  Steve and I chatted about Mack’s and Mack & Mancos (name has since changed) pizzas with the customer.

Norma
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 08:22:39 AM by norma427 »

pizzapan