Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 167212 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #1140 on: July 11, 2012, 09:53:31 AM »
Norma,

As you know, from the photos of Mack's pizzas we have seen, they can take on different looks at different times. However, you sure could have fooled me that your latest effort was not a real Mack's pizza. Was it as good as it looks and did it otherwise taste like a real Mack's pizza? And what kind of fat did you use in the dough, and did it matter?

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1141 on: July 11, 2012, 11:41:21 AM »
Norma,

As you know, from the photos of Mack's pizzas we have seen, they can take on different looks at different times. However, you sure could have fooled me that your latest effort was not a real Mack's pizza. Was it as good as it looks and did it otherwise taste like a real Mack's pizza? And what kind of fat did you use in the dough, and did it matter?

Peter

Peter,

I know, from all of the pictures we have looked at, Mackís pizzas can take on different looks.  Steve, my taste testers, my daughter and I all thought the Mackís attempt was really good yesterday.  Of course, Steve and I were the only ones that really tasted a Mackís pizza though.  I really like how your Mackís dough formulations handles when opening the dough ball.  It was a breeze to open.  I even told Steve maybe your Mackís formulation should be my standard market dough since there seems to be no problems with it.  :-D I donít know how my regular customers would like a rim with no bubbles though.  I am sure we will never know what Mackís real dough formulation is unless I can get a piece of their dough sometime.  Maybe then the piece of dough could be given some more tests, but I think you did a great job with the Mackís dough formulation.  The cheese did taste and melt like a real Mackís pizza, at least to Steve and me.  I used the cheap 1-2-3 vegetable oil (from the Dollar Store) in your formulation and put the vegetable oil in with the water when I mixed the dough.

My friend from Trenton told me this morning he might be able to purchase the AMPI mild white cheddar at a regular store near him.  He said the store does sell AMPI mild yellow cheddar, but they might be able to order the AMPI mild white cheddar for him.  Maybe, if he can purchase some, he might also let me know if the cheese is right.  I think, but am not sure, that the Country Store does sell AMPI mild white cheddar and also my local supermarket Darrenkampís.  I will check the next time I go to either of them.

Thanks so much for helping on this thread!  :)  At least I think we have come a long way in trying to clone a Mackís pizza, and it has been a fun journey for me.  When I try another attempt I will try to weight the cheese and sauce out. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1142 on: July 11, 2012, 12:10:11 PM »
I forgot to post these pictures of the AMPI mild white cheddar cheese.  The first picture is of the AMPI mild white cheddar on the left that was not left to sit out and the AMPI mild white cheddar on the right that sat out for one day on the right.  The second picture is of the AMPI mild white cheddar left to sit out.  The third picture is of the AMPI mild white cheddar that was not left to sit out.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1143 on: July 11, 2012, 12:10:47 PM »
Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1144 on: July 11, 2012, 12:50:23 PM »
Norma,

I am not sure whether we have captured the spirit of a Mack's pizza. The hardest pizza to try to reverse engineer and clone is one where all you essentially have is a lot of photos, with many possible looks, some hearsay (like type/brand of flour and tomatoes) and maybe some pizza weights taken from baked pizzas. No ingredients list, no Nutrition Facts, no dough ball weights or cheese and sauce weights, and no dough making/management steps to guide you. It becomes essentially an exercise in trying to determine the principles embodied in the target pizza and how to incorporate them into a test dough. The rest is essentially trying out different things. Something as simple as the type of cheese can tie you up in knots.

With all your skill, knowledge and talent, maybe someday you can get a job at Mack's and then tell all of us how close we came with the Mack's clone. I wouldn't expect or want you to reveal any of Mack's trade secrets, since I would not want to see you in handcuffs and in orange prison garb when you make an appearance before the Court. I would just like to know whether we got it right or not--a simple yes or no answer.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1145 on: July 11, 2012, 05:31:59 PM »
Norma,

I am not sure whether we have captured the spirit of a Mack's pizza. The hardest pizza to try to reverse engineer and clone is one where all you essentially have is a lot of photos, with many possible looks, some hearsay (like type/brand of flour and tomatoes) and maybe some pizza weights taken from baked pizzas. No ingredients list, no Nutrition Facts, no dough ball weights or cheese and sauce weights, and no dough making/management steps to guide you. It becomes essentially an exercise in trying to determine the principles embodied in the target pizza and how to incorporate them into a test dough. The rest is essentially trying out different things. Something as simple as the type of cheese can tie you up in knots.

With all your skill, knowledge and talent, maybe someday you can get a job at Mack's and then tell all of us how close we came with the Mack's clone. I wouldn't expect or want you to reveal any of Mack's trade secrets, since I would not want to see you in handcuffs and in orange prison garb when you make an appearance before the Court. I would just like to know whether we got it right or not--a simple yes or no answer.

Peter

Peter,

I will have to do a few more tests with the Gangi sauce, the AMPI mild white cheddar and your dough formulation to see if we might have captured the spirit of a Mackís pizza.  Then I will let it up to anyone that might have access to the AMPI mild white cheddar, or even AMPI mild yellow cheddar and use your dough formulation to see if we really captured the spirit of Mackís pizza.  They can be the judge of what we did.  The hearsay of the flour and sauce we already know from other members and myself, and the cheese is up for grabs on what other members think.  I probably will try some regular tomato pastes in the future since some of them did taste like the Gangi sauce when attempted before.  I know we have no ingredient list, no Nutrition facts, no dough ball weights or the cheese and sauce weights, and also no dough making/management steps to guide us.  Even though my attempt might not be exactly like a Mackís pizza it sure might be somewhat close, or maybe as close as we might get on this thread.  The cheese part of this exercise has been the hardest part of this whole journey.  I donít know how many cheeses or cheese blends I have tried on this thread.  Of course the cheese could not be confirmed unless there is an insider that knows, or someone that actually sees the brand of cheese that Mackís uses.  That part is still up for grabs also.  The dough formulation has sure has been helped by your experimentation even if it might not be exactly right.

Lol, me getting a job at Mackís pizza sure would be funny.  :-D I know I could not stand the heat and humidity everyday in Wildwood, or even working many hours full-time everyday.  I am just too old for that.  I have never even seen an older person working at Mackís except the one lady that has been that for many years.  I know I wouldnít want to ever be in handcuffs and orange prison garb and have to go before a court.  I have never even had a speeding ticket and prisons scare me.  I sure would not want to share any of Mackís trade secrets either and donĎt think I would ever be able to get the position of working with their secret dough, sauce and cheese.  I would probably just be a regular worker, if I ever tried for a position at Mackís or any other pizzeria.

Norma     

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #1146 on: July 11, 2012, 08:33:37 PM »
Wow Norma, that last effort, with the yellowish cheese coloration, looks just about dead on!!!   :o

Since you'll probably get to it before I will, for a valid attempt at a Papa Dino's clone, try adding salt, black pepper, and a little dehydrated minced onion to the Gangi sauce and maybe starting with a 80% mild cheddar, 10% mozzarella, 10% provolone mix for the cheese.

From what I read elsewhere on the internet this morning while performing a little research, cheeses are best served at room temperature and cheddar should be allowed to warm before using on a pizza in order to prevent excessive "oiling out".

How's your belly, BTW?  LOL   ;D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 08:38:01 PM by PowerWagonPete »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1147 on: July 11, 2012, 10:39:23 PM »
Wow Norma, that last effort, with the yellowish cheese coloration, looks just about dead on!!!   :o

Since you'll probably get to it before I will, for a valid attempt at a Papa Dino's clone, try adding salt, black pepper, and a little dehydrated minced onion to the Gangi sauce and maybe starting with a 80% mild cheddar, 10% mozzarella, 10% provolone mix for the cheese.

From what I read elsewhere on the internet this morning while performing a little research, cheeses are best served at room temperature and cheddar should be allowed to warm before using on a pizza in order to prevent excessive "oiling out".

How's your belly, BTW?  LOL   ;D

Pete,

Thanks for posting that in my last attempt the yellowish cheese coloration looks just about dead on.   :)

You might get to try a Papa Dinoís pizza before I do, but I appreciate you posting what I should try.  I want to visit Papa Dinoís first to see what I can find out and also get to try their pizza again.  It has been many years since I tried out a Papa Dinoís pizza.  If, and when I have the time, I will start another thread about the Papa Dinoís attempt since it isnít a boardwalk pizza.  Trying to clone any pizza is not the easiest task, as I have found out.  I had a lot of help on this thread from different members.  I also have worked with Peter in some other cloning projects and they can become quite long and involved.    

I also want to try a few more Mackís attempts before I even try a Papa Dinoís attempt.  I still am not sure if the AMPI mild white cheddar is what Mackís is using, but so far it shows the most promise in melting and taste.

I always thought cheddars oiled off more from the higher fat content in the cheddars.

Thanks for asking about my belly, but today it is fine today.  Steve also ate some of the cheddar that was left out and although he said he also had a little belly ache his wasnít like mine.  I just think mine was from the heat, long day at market and not getting enough sleep the night before market.   :-D

Norma  
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 10:23:09 AM by norma427 »

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #1148 on: July 11, 2012, 11:45:08 PM »
Pete,

Thanks for posting that in my last attempt the yellowish cheese coloration looks just about dead on.   :)

You might get to try a Papa Dinoís pizza before I do, but I appreciate you posting what I should try.  I want to visit Papa Dinoís first to see what I can find out and also get to try their pizza again.  It has been many years since I tried out a Papa Dinoís pizza.  If, and when I have the time, I will start another thread about the Papa Ginoís attempt since it isnít a boardwalk pizza.  Trying to clone any pizza is not the easiest task, as I have found out.  I had a lot of help on this thread from different members.  I also have worked with Peter in some other cloning projects and they can become quite long and involved.   

I also want to try a few more Mackís attempts before I even try a Papa Ginoís attempt.  I still am not sure if the AMPI mild white cheddar is what Mackís is using, but so far it shows the most promise in melting and taste.

I always thought cheddars oiled off more from the higher fat content in the cheddars.

Thanks for asking about my belly, but today it is fine today.  Steve also ate some of the cheddar that was left out and although he said he also had a little belly ache his wasnít like mine.  I just think mine was from the heat, long day at market and not getting enough sleep the night before market.   :-D

Norma 

Well, I certainly apologize if my apparently poor advice gave you and Steve a bellyache, Norma.  :-[  It's definitely more fun to do it with a little good humor and the laughter that results, and I'm not talking about that phony ice cream, either.   :D

I was talking to my lovely sister Karen yesterday and she informed me she heard a rumor that the Groffs might be opening up another Papa Dino's location somewhere in the area again soon.  I'll let you know if and when I find out more.   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1149 on: July 12, 2012, 08:14:17 AM »
Well, I certainly apologize if my apparently poor advice gave you and Steve a bellyache, Norma.  :-[  It's definitely more fun to do it with a little good humor and the laughter that results, and I'm not talking about that phony ice cream, either.   :D

I was talking to my lovely sister Karen yesterday and she informed me she heard a rumor that the Groffs might be opening up another Papa Dino's location somewhere in the area again soon.  I'll let you know if and when I find out more.   ;D

Pete,

No need to apologize.  I donít think it was the cheese that was left out that gave Steve and me the problem.  Steve also had a really bad back on Tuesday and hardly could get around.  We always find humor in anything at market.  We have a bunch of great stand holders near where I am located and also many good humored friends and stand holders that stop by to chat.

It would be good if the Groff family opened another Papa Dinoís in the area soon.

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #1150 on: July 14, 2012, 09:40:24 PM »
Pete,

No need to apologize.  I donít think it was the cheese that was left out that gave Steve and me the problem.  Steve also had a really bad back on Tuesday and hardly could get around.  We always find humor in anything at market.  We have a bunch of great stand holders near where I am located and also many good humored friends and stand holders that stop by to chat.

It would be good if the Groff family opened another Papa Dinoís in the area soon.

Norma

Thanks, Norma!!!  That made me feel a little better as well.  Laughter is the best medicine, they say, even if it hurts once and awhile.  LOL  :)

I haven't heard anything additional concerning a possible new PD location as of yet.  Regarding the fact that Papa Dino's is not a boardwalk pizza per se, it does appear to share a common ancestory with the boardwalk-types as it, along with Mack's, Manco's, and even Grotto's are all very similar in construction and flavor profile.   ;D

Offline GIBSONJ

« Reply #1151 on: July 15, 2012, 03:04:32 AM »
Pete,

Norma

Hello Norma, new here, 2nd post, :)) YES!!!, Came here as I was googling macs pizza, trying to figure out some tricks here and there, and WOW, cam across this post! SO ALSOME! :)))) I myself have been a fan of Macs for, lets see , 30 years, Im 38 now, dad took me to Wildwood forever, and the pizza was alsome!! SO< I would LOVEEE to Join this venture on figuring out how to make the Perfect Macs /Manco and manco Pizza!!!!.. SO , may I ask you first, seems like someone went dumpster diving a while back in the posts, and figured out the sauce they use, can you tell me where I can buy that? Since that is the easiest part now I guess, then I can try the dough and cheese... :)) I do not own a pizza store, I am a just a person who loves MACS!! this is so cool, thanks!!

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #1152 on: July 15, 2012, 08:06:53 AM »
Hello Norma, new here, 2nd post, :)) YES!!!, Came here as I was googling macs pizza, trying to figure out some tricks here and there, and WOW, cam across this post! SO ALSOME! :)))) I myself have been a fan of Macs for, lets see , 30 years, Im 38 now, dad took me to Wildwood forever, and the pizza was alsome!! SO< I would LOVEEE to Join this venture on figuring out how to make the Perfect Macs /Manco and manco Pizza!!!!.. SO , may I ask you first, seems like someone went dumpster diving a while back in the posts, and figured out the sauce they use, can you tell me where I can buy that? Since that is the easiest part now I guess, then I can try the dough and cheese... :)) I do not own a pizza store, I am a just a person who loves MACS!! this is so cool, thanks!!

Welcome, Gibson!!!   :)

Looks like Norma roped in another one.  LOL   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1153 on: July 15, 2012, 08:52:40 AM »
Thanks, Norma!!!  That made me feel a little better as well.  Laughter is the best medicine, they say, even if it hurts once and awhile.  LOL  :)

I haven't heard anything additional concerning a possible new PD location as of yet.  Regarding the fact that Papa Dino's is not a boardwalk pizza per se, it does appear to share a common ancestory with the boardwalk-types as it, along with Mack's, Manco's, and even Grotto's are all very similar in construction and flavor profile.   ;D

Pete,

I agree that laughter is the best medicine.  :-D

I know Papa Dinoís does share a common ancestry with the boardwalk types, being it tastes almost like Mackís.  When I have chance to visit Papa Dinoís if I can get some pictures I will post them on the Restaurant reviews for pizzerias.  It is up to the moderators if the Papa Dinoís is allowed on this thread since it really isnít a boardwalk pizza.  A new thread could always be started if we decide to pursue trying to make a Papa Ginoís pizza and links back to this thread could be given.

Norma
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 10:20:39 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1154 on: July 15, 2012, 08:56:42 AM »

GIBSONJ,

Welcome to the forum and glad to hear you also like Mackís pizza.   :)

Yes, one member did go dumpster diving and another member also saw in the trash cans at Mackís that Gangi Sauce is used on Mackís pizzas.  Sadly, I canít even purchase Gangi sauce anywhere anymore and I do own a small pizza stand.  When I was at Bova Foods the last time they had Gangi sauce (only one can) and that really wasnít the right kind of Gangi sauce they use at Mackís.  Gangi sauce isnít a sauce that is available to the public at supermarkets.  

I have used Walmartís Great Value tomato sauce with a few spices in the past on this thread with added water, and then the Great Value tomato paste did taste like Mackís sauce, but then I also didnít think I had the cheese exactly right.  I still donít know about the cheese and if it exactly right.  After I try a few more attempts with the Gangi sauce I have leftover and frozen I will try the Great Value tomato sauce again.  

Good luck!  :)

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1155 on: July 15, 2012, 09:47:09 AM »
I know Papa Dinoís does share a common ancestry with the boardwalk types, being it tastes almost like Mackís.  When I have chance to visit Papa Ginoís if I can get some pictures I will post them on the Restaurant reviews for pizzerias.  It is up to the moderators if the Papa Ginoís is allowed on this thread since it really isnít a boardwalk pizza.  A new thread could always be started if we decide to pursue trying to make a Papa Ginoís pizza and links back to this thread could be given.

I agree with Norma that it is best not to use this thread to discuss the Papa Dino's style of pizza, given that this thread has been focusing on the Mack's et al style of pizza from pretty much the beginning.

Norma, you might want to edit your recent post to correct your references to Papa Gino's. I believe you mean Papa Dino's. I think you did the same in an earlier post.

Peter
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:49:07 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1156 on: July 15, 2012, 10:19:46 AM »

Norma, you might want to edit your recent post to correct your references to Papa Gino's. I believe you mean Papa Dino's. I think you did the same in an earlier post.

Peter

Peter,

I will go though my posts and edit where I posted Papa Gino's instead of Papa Dino's.  I don't know what is up with that.  My brain must not be working right.   :-D

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #1157 on: July 15, 2012, 10:41:22 AM »
I agree with Norma that it is best not to use this thread to discuss the Papa Dino's style of pizza, given that this thread has been focusing on the Mack's et al style of pizza from pretty much the beginning.

Papa Dino's?  What's that?   :-X  ;)  :)

The only reason I brought it up, Peter, is because it was already mentioned earlier in this thread.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:35:00 PM by PowerWagonPete »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1158 on: July 15, 2012, 11:07:37 AM »
Papas Dino's?  What's that?   :-X  ;)  :)

The only reason I brought it up, Peter, is because it was already mentioned earlier in this thread.   ;D

Pete,

You are right. I believe it was Norma who first mentioned it, somewhat in passing, at Reply 161 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg97517.html#msg97517. Fortunately, she didn't ask my help in recreating the Papa Dino's pizza also :-D.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1159 on: July 15, 2012, 11:35:10 AM »
Papas Dino's?  What's that?   :-X  ;)  :)

The only reason I brought it up, Peter, is because it was already mentioned earlier in this thread.   ;D

Pete,

You are fine that you posted about Papa Dino's on this thread.  So did I.  I also have be known to get threads off-topic many times before.   :-D

If you get to try a Papa Dino's pizza you can start a new thread if you want and I will also join you.  

I think Peter would try to stay away from that thread if we try to recreate one of their pizzas.   :-D

Norma

pizzapan