Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 182360 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #1460 on: September 26, 2012, 07:07:38 AM »
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1461 on: September 30, 2012, 11:04:22 AM »
I mixed another Mackís attempt this morning using the same formulation I used the last time of Peterís with KABF and VWG.  I used regular tap water and the final dough temperature was 78.3 degrees F.  I used a little extra IDY 0.95 g, because this is going to be a two day cold fermented dough.  I also placed poppy seeds on the dough ball to see how it ferments in two days.  

I am not sure, but might not really try to press on the rim and really press the dough ball out a lot while trying to open it.  I have wanted to see if this dough will give good oven spring, if the methods that are usually used arenít.

I am also not positive about what Nasonville cheddar I am going to use, or if I will use a blend.  After I open-up one of the packages of the 3 month old aged white cheddar, then I will decide if I want to blend any of the Nasonville one year old aged white cheddar with the three month aged.

Norma

Offline matermark

« Reply #1462 on: September 30, 2012, 11:55:31 AM »
I think you're supposed to use a little LESS yeast when cold fermenting longer, but I'd like to see the result anyway!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1463 on: September 30, 2012, 12:12:08 PM »
I think you're supposed to use a little LESS yeast when cold fermenting longer, but I'd like to see the result anyway!

Mark,

If I recall correctly, I think Peter did a 3 day cold ferment with his formulation.  He used 0.73 g of IDY in the same formulation I did.

Norma

Offline matermark

« Reply #1464 on: September 30, 2012, 12:29:51 PM »
Oh, okay, sorry, I didn't realize you're using a shorter fermentation time than what Peter used. Do you always do 2-days? I wonder if the VWG needs more time to link gluten cells.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1465 on: September 30, 2012, 01:09:01 PM »
Oh, okay, sorry, I didn't realize you're using a shorter fermentation time than what Peter used. Do you always do 2-days? I wonder if the VWG needs more time to link gluten cells.

Mark,

You donít have to say you are sorry.  I do too many things to keep track of.  :-D

I don't always do a 2 day cold ferment.  I usually only do a one day cold ferment, but decided go for a 2 day cold ferment this time to see if there would be a better taste in the crust from a two day cold ferment.  I also wanted to see how much the little bit of IDY would, or would not, make much of a difference in how the dough fermented.  That is also why I used the poppy seed trick.  I sure canít do calculations like Peter can on really knowing what will happen.  I donít really know, but wouldnít think VWG would not need more time to make the gluten stronger.  I think that just comes from the way dough is mixed, but could be wrong. I sure donít know if this article on the Fresh loaf explains it more, or not. http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/11882/vital-wheat-gluten#comment-66913  This explains Vital Wheat Gluten more in the pizza making glossary. http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza_glossary.html#V

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1466 on: October 01, 2012, 06:13:33 PM »
The dough ball using Peterís formulation didnít quite double when I got to market today.

Norma

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1467 on: October 01, 2012, 06:34:24 PM »
Looking forward to the next Macks attempt tomorrow! For what it's worth, I've liked every one of Normas "Macks" pies better than the real thing. ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1468 on: October 01, 2012, 06:42:29 PM »
Looking forward to the next Macks attempt tomorrow! For what it's worth, I've liked every one of Normas "Macks" pies better than the real thing. ;D
And it's easy to see why...they always look really tasty. I'm a sucker for extra sauce and with Mack's sauce on top....well, Norma knows how it's done.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1469 on: October 01, 2012, 06:48:16 PM »

Yep Steve, I guess we are trying another Mack's attempt tomorrow.  Are you ready to make the sauce again from the Great Value Paste.  :-D  I guess we will decide on the cheese, or cheese blend after we have tasted them.  I don't know if Peter wants us to weigh the baked pizza or not.  

Thanks for your kind comment about the clone attempts.   :-*

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1470 on: October 01, 2012, 06:50:51 PM »
And it's easy to see why...they always look really tasty. I'm a sucker for extra sauce and with Mack's sauce on top....well, Norma knows how it's done.  :chef:

Thanks for your kind comments too Bob.   :) Maybe some day you also should give a clone Mack's attempt a try to see if you like them.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1471 on: October 01, 2012, 06:58:43 PM »
I don't know if Peter wants us to weigh the baked pizza or not.  

Norma,

If you don't mind, I would like to know the baked pizza weight. For that number to make sense, however, we would also want to have the pre-baked pizza weight also, as well as the weight of the cheese and sauce. The more data points, the better.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1472 on: October 01, 2012, 07:21:28 PM »
Norma,

If you don't mind, I would like to know the baked pizza weight. For that number to make sense, however, we would also want to have the pre-baked pizza weight also, as well as the weight of the cheese and sauce. The more data points, the better.

Peter

Peter,

I donít mind taking the baked pizza weight, or it might be Steve who weighs the baked pizza.  I know the weight of the dough ball which is 20 ounces.  I will weigh out 10 ounces of cheese, or the cheese blend.  The sauce is going to be 8.5 ounces.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1473 on: October 03, 2012, 04:32:22 PM »
The Mackís attempt went well yesterday.  I decided not to really press on the dough while opening it to see what would happen.  I had wanted to try that for awhile to see if there would be more oven spring.  The Mackís attempt yesterday did have a lot more oven spring when opening the dough differently.  I didnít really try to form a rim while opening the dough and opened it normally like I open my Lehmann dough pizzas.  I find it interesting that the same dough I have been using for a few attempts (Peterís formulation) does get a nice and airy crust and a different texture in the rim.  Some of the rim was more open than other areas though.  The taste of the crust also was very good from the longer cold ferment. The whole pizza was very good in Steveís, Lorieís and my opinions.  The taste of the Nasonville 3 month old aged cheddar was also very good on the baked pizza.  The Nasonville 3 month old cheddar baked well and did oil off a lot.   Steve and I used 10 ounces of the Nasonville mild white 3 month old aged cheddar on this Mackís attempt.  Using the Nasonville 3 month old aged white cheddar the pizza almost had the right taste in the cheese, but a little more tang could have been there.  I really donít know how to get that little bit more tang.  We also used 8 ounces of the Great Value tomato paste with added ingredients for the sauce.  The doctored-up Great Value tomato paste did taste very similar to a real Mackís pizza.     

If anyone is interested, this is how Steve made the doctored-up Great Value tomato paste sauce. 

1 12 oz. can of Great Value tomato paste from Walmart
12 ounces of water
Ĺ tsp. black pepper
3 teaspoons dried Greek oregano from Bova
ľ teaspoon Kosher salt

Steve did a great job of doctoring-up the Great Value tomato paste.  He added ingredients a little at a time and we tasted the sauce different times. I would have never thought using the Great Value tomato paste doctored-up would have made a pizza sauce that was that good.  I am not sure, but maybe the cheddar cheese also helped.  I have to test this sauce on another regular market pizza at a future date with regular mozzarellas.  Steve also couldnít believe how good his sauce tasted on the Mackís attempt.  I would imagine if the sauce would sit for a day it would have a little bit of a different flavor.

Again, no VWG could be tasted in the crust in any way.

I would be satisfied eating this Mackís attempt any day with the same dough formulation, the sauce and the cheddar.  Steve also did agree. 

I sure donít know, but maybe more cheddar could be added with less sauce.  I am not sure how to go about making that different to see what would happen.  I donít know if anyone can tell if more cheese is applied  and less sauce is applied to a real Mackís pizza with all the videos that have been posted on this thread.

The weight of the fresh baked Mackís attempt right out of the oven was 2 lb. 2.2 ounces.  In a few minutes the weight of the Mackís attempt fell to 2 lb. 2.0 ounces.  The dough ball warmed-up for about 2 hrs.

Norma 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1474 on: October 03, 2012, 04:33:54 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1475 on: October 03, 2012, 04:35:26 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1476 on: October 03, 2012, 04:36:26 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1477 on: October 03, 2012, 04:38:03 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1478 on: October 03, 2012, 04:39:09 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1479 on: October 03, 2012, 04:40:11 PM »
Norma