Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 183924 times)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #1520 on: October 10, 2012, 08:44:19 PM »
Just goes to prove that Steve ain't no dummy....shoot, I'd hit that too!  8)
Even your problem child's turn out better than any stick'ems I've had to fight...now that's a mess.... :(
Looks like you really know how to work your oven Norma...nice save.  ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1521 on: October 10, 2012, 09:28:25 PM »
Just goes to prove that Steve ain't no dummy....shoot, I'd hit that too!  8)
Even your problem child's turn out better than any stick'ems I've had to fight...now that's a mess.... :(
Looks like you really know how to work your oven Norma...nice save.  ;)

Lol, Bob, that attempt sure was bad.  :-[ The cheddar taste was all wrong and the pizza was a mess.  :-D At least there is always another week. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1522 on: October 13, 2012, 07:58:31 AM »
From Wildwood Memories & Nostalgia on facebook a picture of the Mack’s location that burnt.  The former location was on the Boardwalk and Lincoln Ave. and was posted 8 hrs. ago.

This is what some of the commenter’s said.

yes i do,kitty ran the store..bad fire took the store..sad day firemens wkend!!

i know the secret--why it was greasy and delisous!!!

I worked at Mack's when I was twelve .....shhhhh ..

I was there when it burned down,It was a sad day because that was my favorite Pizza shop!!!

How bout the one on Glenwood

I use to hang out w/all the workers & owners sons in the '60's & '70's. Mostly from the Roberts Avenue shop.

used to love Mack's Pizza....It makes me miss my parents even more.....

the best pizza on the planet...would love to have a Mack's in St. Pete!

Memories right there.

The best pizza also a childhood tradition e memory! Gotta go to Macks! Go every time still over 40 years later!

When I was a kid, that was the location my parents would go to...and I loved it! The pizza ovens were right there near the counter, the pizza chef would be flipping the dough, pouring on the sauce and sprinkling the cheese, and I think they had a glass hot-box that had rotating trays of their slice pies. This show would get the mouth watering, and was a huge reason that Macks became so beloved on the boardwalk!

This is one thing I wonder about.

I can’t recall years ago if Mack’s poured their sauce on, or used the hose, but I do remember the deck ovens hear the counter.  If Mack’s did pour their sauce on, then that is like Marcuca’s

Norma
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 08:02:02 AM by norma427 »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1523 on: October 18, 2012, 02:28:04 PM »
Norma,

I thought that you might find this recent New York Times article on cheddar cheese of interest inasmuch as it indicates that good cheddar cheeses can be found in the regular cheese sections of supermarkets: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/17/business/media/cracker-barrel-cheddar-dares-to-win-prizes.html.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1524 on: October 18, 2012, 06:31:16 PM »
Norma,

I thought that you might find this recent New York Times article on cheddar cheese of interest inasmuch as it indicates that good cheddar cheeses can be found in the regular cheese sections of supermarkets: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/17/business/media/cracker-barrel-cheddar-dares-to-win-prizes.html.

Peter

Peter,

Thank you so much for the link to the article about Cracker Barrel Cheddar in the NY Times.  It is interesting to read that Cracker Barrel won gold at the competition earlier this year.  Wow, Cracker Barrel is going to spend 20 million to 30 million on advertising campaigns.  It is also interesting to hear that historically, Cracker Barrel has been most popular in the Northeast, with Philadelphia, New York and Boston its strongest markets.  I also never knew that cheddar was named for a village in Cheddar, England.  Cracker Barrel cheddar must be good if Mark West (wine by Constellation Brands) hangs promotional cards over the necks of wine bottles, offering a suggestion for which cheese goes best for the wine varietal being purchased.  Did you ever try Cracker Barrel cheddar with wine, or on a pizza?

I really had to chuckle when I read this part of the article:   :-D

“It will drive people back to the dairy aisle for cheese, which is anathema to me, but that ad is effective,” Mr. Jenkins said. “Kraft is saying, ‘Up your nose with a rubber hose,’ to all those foodies who think that the cheese aisle of a specialty food market is the only place to buy good cheese.”

I did post about Cracker Barrel cheddar at Reply 1128  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg195356.html#msg195356  and in a post to desant at Reply 1020  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg188841.html#msg188841

I also posted about Cracker Barrel cheddar and the mishap  :o at Reply 867 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg170247.html#msg170247  I forgot in that attempt that I mentioned that the Cracker Barrel cheddar did taste like a Mack’s pizza when baked on the Mack’s clone attempt.  Maybe I will have to try Cracker Barrel cheddar again to see what I think since I have used the different Nasonville cheddars on more recent attempts.

I also forgot, but in searching now, I found the post at 829 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg163046.html#msg163046 that (ThatsATastyPizza) Alexia, posted to try Cracker Barrel extra sharp white or Cabot cheddar for a good approximation. 

Maybe I will be off to the supermarket this weekend to purchase some more Cracker Barrel cheddar to maybe mix with the Nasonville 3 month old aged cheddar.  I was just talking to my friend from Trenton and he also said again that Cracker Barrel and Cabot cheddar are good cheddars to try on pizzas. 

At least Steve would be happy, if I made another Mack’s attempt.  I also am curious why my last skin was so hard to open and developed thin spots. 

I think my brain is getting to old to remember all that went on in this thread.  :-D

Norma

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1525 on: October 18, 2012, 06:38:07 PM »
Yeah, I'm going through "Mack's" clone withdraw here.  :'(  >:D  :-D

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1526 on: October 18, 2012, 06:47:46 PM »
Norma,

I do recall the discussion about the Cracker Barrel cheddar cheese but I didn't realize at the time that its quality was so highly rated. I have eaten the Cracker Barrel sharp white cheddar cheese before, most likely with wine, but not on a pizza. For pizza, I used a New York sharp white cheddar cheese from Lucerne (a Safeway house brand). However, I mixed it with mozzarella to soften the sharpness.

Peter

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1527 on: October 18, 2012, 06:54:11 PM »
I've used the Cracker Barrel cheddar cheese on a few pizza's....good product, a 'lil pricy though in those grocery store mini blocks. Come's out to around $8.50 a lb. I believe..  :o

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1528 on: October 18, 2012, 07:18:06 PM »
Yeah, I'm going through "Mack's" clone withdraw here.  :'(  >:D  :-D

Steve,

Maybe on Tuesday if everything goes well until then.   ;)  It hasn't really been that long and the last attempt was the pits.   :-[

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1529 on: October 18, 2012, 07:21:30 PM »
Norma,

I do recall the discussion about the Cracker Barrel cheddar cheese but I didn't realize at the time that its quality was so highly rated. I have eaten the Cracker Barrel sharp white cheddar cheese before, most likely with wine, but not on a pizza. For pizza, I used a New York sharp white cheddar cheese from Lucerne (a Safeway house brand). However, I mixed it with mozzarella to soften the sharpness.

Peter

Peter,

I didn’t realize the quality of Cracker Barrel cheddar was highly rated either, until you posted the link today. 

Thanks for telling me you have eaten Cracker Barrel probably with wine.  Interesting what brand of cheddar you used with mozzarella.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1530 on: October 18, 2012, 07:23:03 PM »
I've used the Cracker Barrel cheddar cheese on a few pizza's....good product, a 'lil pricy though in those grocery store mini blocks. Come's out to around $8.50 a lb. I believe..  :o

Bob,

Good to hear you also used Cracker Barrel cheddar on a few pizzas.  I only would need about a half of pound if I mix it and might find some of sale.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1531 on: October 21, 2012, 07:40:29 PM »
I did purchase some Cracker Barrel Sharp white cheddar to try with the Nasonville 3 month old aged white cheddar at Walmart yesterday, but will wait until next week for another Mack’s clone attempt.

If anyone is interested, the 8 oz. size of Cracker Barrel Sharp white cheddar was 3.47 at our local Walmart.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1532 on: October 29, 2012, 06:19:25 AM »
If anyone is interested, these are web cams from Wildwood, NJ to see what hurricane Sandy will be doing in Wildwood.  http://networkedblogs.com/E12FA 

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newjersey/wildwood/

This is what it says about the webcams in Wildwood.

The webcams on the boardwalk are tricky to maintain. They are affected by the weather, power outages, and lightening strikes. If you want to be alerted whenever a camera goes offline or goes back online, use the form here to sign up for alerts!

I hope my beloved Wildwood fares okay with hurricane Sandy and also all other areas of the country that will be affected by hurricane Sandy. 

.Five Mile Beach Towns Order Businesses, Bars to Close, Curfew

http://networkedblogs.com/E1K7c

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #1533 on: October 29, 2012, 09:18:14 PM »
Today's special at Mack's, SALT WATER PIZZA!!!   :D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1534 on: October 29, 2012, 09:59:18 PM »

Pete,

From what I saw on facebook, my beloved Wildwood is really taking a bad hit.  :( These are a few of the pictures.

Stay safe in your area.  :) My lights only went off a few times.  Hopefully we will all keep our power.  In the nearest neighboring town all the lights are off and even Kmart is closed because of power failures.

Norma

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1535 on: October 29, 2012, 10:00:57 PM »
Do you still deliver Pete?

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1536 on: October 29, 2012, 10:17:58 PM »
Jeepers Norma. I hate to even think it but after today, you might be the only one making "Mack's" pizza! :(

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1537 on: October 29, 2012, 10:36:03 PM »
Jeepers Norma. I hate to even think it but after today, you might be the only one making "Mack's" pizza! :(

Steve,

I hope I am not the only one trying to make a Mack's pizza after today.  I am almost sure Mack's will rebuild if there is damage.  I saw today on channel 10 a video of North Wildwood and the water was on top of the boardwalk.  You know how long the beaches are at Wildwood and how high the boardwalk is.  I also saw in Altantic City Sandy wiped out a big part of the boarwalk there.

Norma

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1538 on: October 29, 2012, 10:38:54 PM »
Steve,

I hope I am not the only one trying to make a Mack's pizza after today.  I am almost sure Mack's will rebuild if there is damage.  I saw today on channel 10 a video of North Wildwood and the water was on top of the boardwalk.  You know how long the beaches are at Wildwood and how high the boardwalk is.  I also saw in Altantic City Sandy wiped out a big part of the boarwalk there.

Norma
Has this situation ever happened before up there....this is a real drag. >:(

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1539 on: October 29, 2012, 10:41:35 PM »
Has this situation ever happened before up there....this is a real drag. >:(

Bob,

There have been hurricanes before in Wildwood, but I don't know if this will be the worst one or not.  Wildwood is very flat and is an island surrounded by water on all sides. 

Norma

pizzapan