Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 151649 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #1680 on: April 11, 2013, 03:39:50 PM »
Norma, your pizzas are the most amazing pizzas I have seen.  Can you tell me if you do an autolyse?  I've read good and bad on autolyse on this site so the jury is still out on this for me at this point.  I figure whatever you're doing is the right way.  I've read the post on this new dough formulation you are using (flour 100%, water 59%, IDY .55%, Morton salt 2%, oil 3% and sugar 1%, right?) but can you tell me how you process the dough from mixing to room or fridge ferment (and how long) to how long you let the dough sit out at room temp before forming, etc.  Thank you, Cindy

Cindy,

Thank you for your kind comment!

No, I donít use an autolyse.  I havenít tried too many experiments with a true autolyse.  If you want to read more about the classic autolyse process conceived by Professor Raymond Calvel, you might want to read Peterís Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4256.msg35492.html#msg35492
or Peterís Reply 7 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8576.msg74242.html#msg74242

You can also use Pete-zza name in the advanced search and learn more if you want and type classic autolyse process in the search box. 

Yes, I am now using the formulation as you posted for a one day cold ferment with Occident flour.  The salt I am using is Mortonís Kosher salt though.  It is a coarser grain of salt than the regular Mortonís table salt.  I am also using regular vegetable oil as the oil. 

All I do to mix the dough is mix the salt into the water with my hand and then add the vegetable oil.  I then add the flour, sugar and IDY and then mix until the dough looks like it is at the cottage cheese or a little more stage.  I only mix on speed one.  Since I am mixing in a Hobart mixer my mix times might be a little shorter, than say if I would use my Kitchen Aid mixer.  In another kind of mixer the speed might have to go up some too.  I posted pictures of what my dough looks like coming out of the mixer, when I scale and ball at Reply 1649 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg244849.html#msg244849
That isnít the formulation I am using now.  The new formulation is at Reply 1656 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg246169.html#msg246169
You can also see the dough at the second link also.  My cold ferment is only for a day.  I would like a longer cold ferment, but since I canít get into the market on Saturday or Sunday I have to make my dough batches on Monday for Tuesday.  The time I let my dough balls sit at room temperature depends on what ambient temperature it is at market on any given day.  Usually an 1 hour and a half is good enough to warm-up the dough balls. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline caltheide

« Reply #1681 on: April 11, 2013, 05:39:06 PM »
Thank you Norma for your quick reply, as always, very helpful.  Keep the pictures of your pizza's coming, I always look forward to seeing what you're making.  Thank you again, Cindy

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1682 on: April 11, 2013, 07:33:25 PM »
Thank you Norma for your quick reply, as always, very helpful.  Keep the pictures of your pizza's coming, I always look forward to seeing what you're making.  Thank you again, Cindy

Your welcome Cindy.  There are other formulations on this thread that are also good if you want to try any of them.  Some formulations don't call for professional flours.  Peter has a very good formulation that works well if you are interested.

Norma

Offline lmj007

« Reply #1683 on: April 14, 2013, 09:56:13 AM »
Can someone post a link to the dough formulation that doesn't require a professional brand of flour?
What I use is King Arthur all purpose.
Thanks

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1684 on: April 14, 2013, 11:17:46 AM »
Can someone post a link to the dough formulation that doesn't require a professional brand of flour?
What I use is King Arthur all purpose.
Thanks

lmj007,

Peterís formulation at Reply 204 is very good http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg97757.html#msg97757
He used KABF (King Arthur Bread Flour) and VWG (vital wheat gluten).  I also tried Peterís dough formulation out different times and thought it was very good.  If you want to scale the formulation back to make a smaller size pizza you can use the Expanded Dough Calculation Tool at  http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1685 on: April 17, 2013, 04:38:48 PM »
The pasta and salad lady in the main building gave me two plastic sign holders last week and told me to make some signs for inside them so customers that might come to her stand might see the signs.  The pasta lady also said she would tell her customers how she really liked my boardwalk style pizzas.  I quickly made two signs on my computer Monday evening.  I took them over to her pasta stand yesterday morning and she put them on top of her counters.  In two of the photos I think my old caramel popcorn stand can be seen in the left back round.  That was kind of the pasta lady to put those signs on her stand. 

I am really liking how easily this dough stretches into a skin and how the pizza tastes with the dough only cold fermenting for one day.  The opening of the dough balls are a breeze and the skins do not want to stick to the wooden peel after dressing.  The bottom crust is crisp enough for me and so is the rim crust, with a nice moistness inside the rim crust.  The photos show the rim crust really isnít really dark, but then I have to reheat most of the slices for customers, so the rim crust does get a little darker in a matter about 20 seconds.  Most of my customers now do like their slices reheated to get the bottom crust to crisp again after they have been stored in my heated cabinet.  My rims are bigger than a Mackís pizza.

Today, the technician came to my place to install a converter box so I can watch more channels on my TV.  I donít know how we started talking about pizza (who doesnít want to talk about pizza ;D),  but I found the conversation very interesting in some things the technician said.  The technician said he had worked for Papa Dinoís 45 years ago near Harrisburg, Pa. and that has always been his favorite pizza.  He said there was also another pizza business he also really liked, but it was upstate and the last time he visited that pizzeria the man had his recipe for sale for 3,500.00.  I asked the technician if the man ever sold his recipe and he said he didnít know, but that pizzeria is closed now.  I asked the technician if he tried Papa Dinoís pizza now at their only location in Lancaster and he said yes he did, but said the cheese still tastes the same, but the crust and sauce have changed and he doesnít like it anymore.  I told the technician that I also always liked Papa Dinoís pizza too and know that the Papa Dinoís pizzas have changed.  I asked the technician if he recalled what type of cheese was used on the Papa Dinoís pizza after all these past years and he said he was young then and didnít remember much about anything, except he really liked Papa Dinoís pizza back then and still continues to think about it after tasting many pizzas.  We also discussed all kinds of the pizzas around our area and he thinks the same thing as I do, as the crusts are really bland and almost taste like cardboard.  The technician and I also talked about other things pizza related and told him I also make pizzas.  I told the technician that I make something like a Papa Dinoís pizza at market now.  He said he has to come to market sometime when he has off on a Tuesday and try my pizzas.

Some more customers said my boardwalk style pizzas taste like a Grottoís pizza yesterday and 3 women said it tastes just like a Mackís pizza.  I think it is kind of funny that one kind of pizza can taste like different pizzerias pizza.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1686 on: April 17, 2013, 04:41:16 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1687 on: April 17, 2013, 04:43:22 PM »
This pizza was baked about a minute to long while Steve and I were talking, or waiting on customers.  What I found interesting about the too long baked pizza was how the cheese looked.  Steve took that pizza along him with him last evening, so I donít know how it tasted.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1688 on: April 24, 2013, 07:21:53 AM »
I have been using the Occident flour only to make what I call the boardwalk style pizza dough for the last few weeks.  Since I had a 50 lb. bag of Kryol, and also another part bag of Kryol flour I decided Monday to add some Kryol flour to the Occident flour to use the Kryol flour up some in two batches of dough.  I didnít measure exactly how much Kryol flour I added to the Occident flour, but for both batches of dough, but it was approximately 2 lbs. of Kryol flour added to each batch.  I knew when I balled the dough balls Monday that the dough felt drier even though I used the exact same formulation as I had been using and also the same mix time I had been using. 

When opening the dough balls yesterday, the dough balls openly differently.  The dough balls werenít hard to open, but they sure werenít as easy to open as when I just used the Occident flour. 

The other thing I noticed yesterday when using the blend of flours in the dough was that the middle of the crust wanted to get bubbles while in the oven.  Even if the dough balls were warmed up properly, and pressed on really well when opening the dough balls into skins, the middle of the pizzas had those bubbles in the bake.  I used the bubble popper yesterday more than I ever have.  I even warmed some dough balls up in the one warming unit I use to temper the Detroit style doughs.  I  sure donít know why the inner crust wanted to develop those inner crust bubbles in the bake.

Those unusual bubbles led me to do another experiment to see if I could get rid of them.  I used one dough ball and rolled it out with a big rolling pin and rolled aggressively.  That still didnít get rid of the inner crust bubbles in the bake.  There was still a little rim crust rise in the bake after using the rolling pin.  Steve told me I should have tried my docker to see if I would get rid of those inner crust bubbles, but I said how many people use dough dockers on this style of pizza and anyway my docker was at home. 

The first set of photos are when I used the rolling pin and the second set of photos is when I just pressed on the dough ball when opening.

All the pizzas tasted the same in the crust yesterday as before.

I want to try and use up all of the leftover Kyrol flour, but am not sure what to try next.  I donít want that bubbling on the middle of the crust. 

Steve and his wife were in Ocean City, NJ and visited Manco and Manco on the boardwalk on Monday.  I was anxious to hear what Steve and his wife thought of Manco and Manco pizzas.  Steve said he wasnít going to report on the pizzas they ate because he had forgotten to take his camera in to take photos and it was windy and cold on the boardwalk, so they werenít going to stay long there.  What surprised me was that Steve told me that Manco and Manco cheese didnít have any tang in the taste of the cheese.  He also said their crust was really bland and he had to add salt to make the slices of pizzas he ate taste okay.  He also said he had to add oregano to the slices he ate. Steve also said he really didnít know what kind of cheese Manco and Manco was using, but as far as he could tell it tasted like regular mozzarella and the cheese didnĎt taste like cheddar.  Steve did say the slices he had were right out of the oven from a whole pizza.  He also said Manco and Manco dough balls looked fermented well and even ran together in the pans like they use at Mackís.  Steve told me he wouldnít go back to Manco and Manco.  Steve wife didnít like Manco and Manco slices either.

Norma   
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 07:32:01 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1689 on: April 24, 2013, 07:29:43 AM »
Norma

Offline Ev

« Reply #1690 on: April 24, 2013, 09:53:11 AM »
Actually, what I said was that the regular plain cheese slices were just ok, nothing special. The white pie slice had more cheese but almost no flavor at all. I had to put salt and oregano on it for it to taste like anything. A little parm would have helped but strangely, they didn't have any. ??? If I happen to be walking by again, I'd probably try another slice, but I'll never go out of my way for it again. Norma makes a much better "boadwalk" >:D pizza than the boardwalk guys! 8)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1691 on: April 24, 2013, 05:03:11 PM »
Norma makes a much better "boadwalk" >:D pizza than the boardwalk guys! 8)
Wow, you hear that Norma? Congratulations!  :chef:
Did I miss the news about what happened concerning your moving to the other more desirable location at the Market? Did anything become of that?

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Chaze215

« Reply #1692 on: April 24, 2013, 06:53:56 PM »
I would have to agree with Steve's review. After reading all the great reviews on here and elsewhere, I was excited to try their pie. However,  I was not impressed AT ALL.
Chaz

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1693 on: April 24, 2013, 08:36:43 PM »
Wow, you hear that Norma? Congratulations!  :chef:
Did I miss the news about what happened concerning your moving to the other more desirable location at the Market? Did anything become of that?

Bob

Bob,

Steve is always too kind to me.  I appreciate that Steve said that I make a better boadwalk style, my error, boardwalk style pizza.   :-D

I still havenít heard anything about me getting the other stand in the busier part of market.  I did call the market manager last Thursday and he couldn't give me any information on who might be getting that stand I would like to have.

Norma     
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 11:41:36 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1694 on: April 24, 2013, 08:41:11 PM »
I would have to agree with Steve's review. After reading all the great reviews on here and elsewhere, I was excited to try their pie. However,  I was not impressed AT ALL.

Chaz,

I thought Mack's pizza was the best for many years.  I first tasted Manco & Manco pizza last year and the cheese tasted like Mack's cheese, but now I don't know what is happening.  They must not be consistent either.  I really don't know if I am getting more fussy as what I like either since I came to this forum.  :-\

Glad to hear your opinion of Manco & Manco pizza.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1695 on: May 02, 2013, 11:51:05 AM »
Steve had brought me a can of the Escalon Bonta Pizza Sauce the other week.  I used it on the boardwalk style of pizzas this past Tuesday and added only pepper and Greek oregano.  To me it did taste like Mack's sauce.  A lot of water can be added to the Escalon Bonta Pizza Sauce to make it like the consistency of what I think Mack's consistency is.  I am now measuring out the two applications of cheese on the boardwalk style pizzas.  I am using 8 ounces of cheese for the 17" pizza.

I had two customers from NYC this past Tuesday that tried the boardwalk style pizzas.  They both really liked the boardwalk style of pizza and the one even thought I had used only a very good mozzarella on the boardwalk style pizza.  He was very surprised when I told him it was all cheddar.  I also had another customer from our area and he said the boardwalk style pizza reminded him of Papa Dino's pizzas of years ago.  He also said the boardwalk style pizza tasted like a Mack's or Manco and Manco pizza.  All three customers said the crust was very good.

I am still trying to figure out what hydration to try next with the Occident flour.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1696 on: May 06, 2013, 07:49:04 PM »
If anyone is interested in how the doughs look at market after they are mixed, this was one dough batch from today.  I changed the formulation and used a hydration of 57% and also used less sugar at 0.75%.  Occident flour was used.  This dough batch was a bigger dough batch.  I had tried before to make bigger batches in the 20 quart mixer.  The mix starts out with the bowl down and when the water incorporates a little then the mixer bowl is raised to finish the mix.  This dough batch was mixed for 6 minutes after the ingredients came together. 

It can be seen that the dough isn't really smooth after the mix.  This dough batch was cut, scaled, balled and oiled.  The dough balls were scaled to 1.28 lbs. for a 17Ē pizza.  Until the last dough ball was balled the dough becomes easier to stretch.  The last photo shows after another the dough rests how the little piece of dough stretches easily.  The last photo was after another dough batch was mixed.  The dough balls also spread a little after balling while they are sitting out until all the other dough balls are balled.  This dough batch felt nice and not sticky at all, but I will wait until tomorrow to see how the pizzas turn out.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1697 on: May 06, 2013, 07:50:43 PM »
Norma

Offline DenaliPete

« Reply #1698 on: May 08, 2013, 08:15:23 AM »
Can't wait to see how those bad boys turn out!

Pete

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1699 on: May 08, 2013, 12:10:44 PM »
The new formulation worked out okay to make the boardwalk style pizzas.  I don't really press on the dough balls when opening the dough balls into skins anymore to try to make them look like a real Mack's pizza.  The slices do reheat well.

Norma

pizzapan