Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 253717 times)

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #150 on: May 04, 2010, 10:20:06 PM »

Steve took a video of me trying to throw the pie, but I am not going to post it.

Norma

Congrats on finally getting it the way you want it!

I'd still love to see the video of you throwing the dough in the air. >:D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #151 on: May 04, 2010, 10:27:56 PM »
Congrats on finally getting it the way you want it!

RoadPizza,

Thanks for the congrats!  :)

The Mack's clone we tried to make today did taste like Mack's pizza, but I need to really taste Mack's pizza again to make sure my taste buds aren't fooling me.  I also am not sure exactly how much cheese or sauce they use in their pies.  Steve and I did weigh the ingredients, but I have to look tomorrow, where the paper is. 

Steve took the video, but I sure don't want to post my face, again.  :-D  He tried to just take the dough flying.

Norma

Offline Ev

« Reply #152 on: May 04, 2010, 10:39:06 PM »
Ah c'mon, Norma. I double dog dare ya!  >:D

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #153 on: May 04, 2010, 10:40:38 PM »
Norma and Steve,

You guys did a very nice job. Norma, you didn't comment on the cheddar cheese blend that you used on the other half of the pizza. Is it just that you felt that the sharp cheddar alone came close to the Mack's pizza?

Did the crust characteristics emulate the crust characteristics of a Mack's pizza as you remembered it?

I'd also like to see the amounts of cheese and sauce you used. I assume that you made a 16" pizza. Is that correct?

Does your latest effort represent the end of your reverse engineering effort? Will you try an 18" version?

It looks like the squeeze bottle method worked, too. Did you have any problems with that method?

I, too, will be interested in how your latest effort compares with the real deal when you next visit Mack's.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: May 04, 2010, 10:58:56 PM »
Steve,

I told you only to take a video of the dough flying..LOL Also. I really can throw it like the pie men at Mackís.  I throw vertically.

Norma

Peter,

The blend of sharp white cheddar and the X-sharp cheddar didnít taste like Mackís pizza in my opinion.  Steve can also comment on this.  I felt the sharp cheddar had the same taste and smell as Mackís pizza.  Poor Steve, I kept making him smell it.  :-D

Steve did a great job of dressing the pie.  Your idea of the squeeze bottle was great.  ;D We didnít have any problems with the squeeze bottle.

The crust did remind me of Mackís but I will have to do more experimenting on that.  The dough did open nicely and you could really throw the dough.  The dough ball was supposed to be for a 16" pie, but we stretched it to a 18" pie.  We measured that. 

I will look where I put the papers for the list of the weighs of ingredients tomorrow.

This is not the end of trying to reverse engineer the Mackís pizza.  I also want to try another next week to see if we can obtain the same results. 

Maybe I will be able to visit Mackís this weekend.  It all depends on the weather.  I am also anxious to try multiple pies and see what I then think.

Steve can also comment on how he thought the pie tasted and how the dough behaved.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #155 on: May 04, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »
A few more pictures of the baked pie with the sharp cheddar and two different blends Also, Steve's slice with grease on his plate. 

Third picture down is the blended cheese.

Steve and I used a skewer for the side of the pizza with the blend of X-sharp and sharp, so we could then know which side just had the sharp cheddar.

I have one slice to try tomorrow and Steve also has a slice to try.  I will take a picture of the reheated slice and also the bottom of the pie.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #156 on: May 05, 2010, 12:59:24 AM »

Ah c'mon, Norma. I double dog dare ya!  >:D

Since RoadPizza and Steve wanted me to post this video..I am crazy enough to post it, all for the sake of pizza making, just to show how robust this Mackís dough is. Although I canít really throw the dough like Mackís pie men, this will give anyone an idea of how this dough performs.  I stepped outside my pizza stand, because I have a raised floor and if I tried to do this inside my stand the dough would hit the overhead light.  I wanted to try and throw this dough at the highest height I could get it.

This video is sideways because that is the way Steve took it.  I donít know how to straighten it out.

I would really need a lot of practice to throw this dough better.

Okay RoadPizza and Steve...this one is for both of you..LOL

Norma  >:D

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #157 on: May 05, 2010, 03:40:53 AM »
Not bad, Norma.  You put on quite a show! :pizza:

I wouldn't throw it THAT high, though, unless the dough was incredibly resilient.  I actually ordered some ThrowDough (6 pcs.), so our pizza makers could start learning some acrobatic moves.  They should arrive sometime next week.

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #158 on: May 05, 2010, 06:05:32 AM »
Steve and I made the Mackís clone pie today.  We used a plastic ketchup bottle to simulate the hose and cut off part of the tip.  Steve dressed the pie and put it into the oven.  Both of us were anxious to taste it.  I had Steve taste the mild white cheddar, sharp white cheddar and also the X-sharp white cheddar. He also couldnít distinguish much difference in the sharp white cheddar. Half the pie was dressed with sharp white cheddar and half was dressed with a blend of sharp white cheddar and X-sharp cheddar. 

When the pie was finished baking it sure smelled like a Mackís pie.  I told Steve this is what it always smells like outside and inside Mackís Pizza.  The pie dressed with the State Brand sharp white cheddar did taste like a Mackís pizza.  ;D  It also had the runny, gooey cheese.  Steve said he also enjoyed the taste of the cheese.  We both couldnít believe the this pie would only be made with white cheddar.  It really looked like mozzarella cheese after the pie was baked.

Steve took a video of me trying to throw the pie, but I am not going to post it.

Norma

After all this work, you finally did it!  Congratulations & good for you for being so determined.

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #159 on: May 05, 2010, 06:39:28 AM »

I wouldn't throw it THAT high, though, unless the dough was incredibly resilient. 

RoadPizza,

The only reason Steve and I took this video was to show how resilient the dough was.  Since I was trying to make a dough and crust something like Mack's, it had to be able to be thrown.

Best of luck to you and your pizza makers in learning with the Throw Dough.  ;D

After all this work, you finally did it!  Congratulations & good for you for being so determined.

Matt

Matt,

I really don't know as of this date, if I really made a Mack's pizza, but it sure tasted like it to me.  I am always determined.  It is my nature.  Thanks for the congrats.

Norma

Steve and I weighed out 9 oz. of State Brand of sharp white cheddar for half of the pizza and 9 oz. of the blend of X-sharp white cheddar and State Brand of sharp white cheddar for the other half of the pizza.  Also we weighed out 14 1/2 oz. of Gangi sauce.  We didn't use all the Gangi sauce from the plastic squeeze bottle.  I didn't write down the exact ingredients we used with the Gangi sauce, but I think there were 2 teaspoons of sugar added to a larger amount of sauce than we used.  I will have to remember to write down the amount next week.  When you are trying to wait on customers or doing other things, you sometimes can forget to write down what you used.  If Steve can remember, he can also comment.  We also tasted the Gangi sauce before Steve added the other ingredients of sugar and garlic powder.  It still tasted sour or bitter in my opinion.

The sharp white cheddar had a very buttery flavor in the finished pie. In my opinion it tasted like someone had added straight butter to the final pie. I guess it was from the amount of fat in the sharp white cheddar.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #160 on: May 05, 2010, 01:08:53 PM »
A frozen dough ball was used to make the Mack's clone pizza, yesterday.  I froze the dough ball last week.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #161 on: May 05, 2010, 06:16:14 PM »
The first two pictures are of a cold slice of the Mackís clone, top and bottom.

I reheated the slice of the Mackís clone pizza we made yesterday. The oven was heated for one hour. The slice was reheated on the baking stone to try and simulate reheating a slice at Mackís.  The cheese did remelt nicely as can be seen on the pictures below.  The slice was still gooey and greasy.

The rim on this slice reminds me of about how flat a rim is on the Mackís pizza.

My daughter tasted a piece of the reheated slice and although she canít remember what Mackís pizza tastes like, she commented on how she thought this Mackís clone did taste like Papa Dinoís Pizza.  Papa Dinoís is a place around our area that used to make very good pizza.  I had always wondered how they also made their pizza with the unique taste.  If I get to the shore, then she will also be able to let me know if she also thinks this pizza tastes like Mackís.

Norma
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 06:19:28 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #162 on: May 05, 2010, 06:17:15 PM »
rest of pictures

Norma

Offline Kemosa

« Reply #163 on: May 05, 2010, 07:23:32 PM »
Norma,

Your pies look awesome & just like those of M & M.  I do hope you post your final recipe (flour, sauce, cheese) once  you feel you have it as close as you can get it.  My niece who lives in S. Jersey loves Mack/Manco and I would love to be able to make a pie for her that's close to theirs.  Nice job, and thanks for your effort in showing us the way. 

Are you thinking of offering at the farmer's market in addition to your regular pie?  Maybe call it shore pizza !

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #164 on: May 05, 2010, 08:41:24 PM »
Norma,

Your pies look awesome & just like those of M & M.  I do hope you post your final recipe (flour, sauce, cheese) once  you feel you have it as close as you can get it.  My niece who lives in S. Jersey loves Mack/Manco and I would love to be able to make a pie for her that's close to theirs.  Nice job, and thanks for your effort in showing us the way. 

Are you thinking of offering at the farmer's market in addition to your regular pie?  Maybe call it shore pizza !

Kemosa,

Thanks for saying the pies look awesome and just like Mack and Mancos.  :) I will post the final recipe for everything, once we can decide if this is as close as we can get the taste to Mackís or Mack and Mancos.  After the pie is tested more at market, then hopefully it can be created at home, also.  Since Peter is also going along to experiment with this pie, his methods to mix, ingredients, weighs of sauce and cheese to apply and baking the pie at home will really be helpful.

I would also like other people that want to create this kind of pie at home to be able to taste something like their pies.  I think right now the biggest problem will be the kind of white cheddar cheese that someone can buy at their own grocery store.  I have access to different brands of cheese that many members canít get or that are hard to purchase. I want to try and get some white cheddar from Foremost Farms.  I looked at their website and by what I can see, they only have one kind of white cheddar of the 1950-127.  I did call them today and they transferred me to someone, but all I got was a voice mail.  I will continue to work on this.  Maybe somehow I can compare the cheddar from Foremost Farms to the State Brand I just tried, in terms of fat and taste. Then it will go along the lines of something I can find at the grocery store that tastes about the same.  So far in my opinion, the sharp white cheddar from State Brand had the taste I remember, even though it was sharp white cheddar.

At this point, I donít know if I will offer it at market or not.  When Steve and I had it sitting on the counter yesterday a couple of people ask about it.  When we told them it was an experimental pie, made with all cheddar, they didnít even want to try it.  If someone had told me before that Mackís or Mack and Mancos was made with all cheddar, I wouldnít have believed them.

Hopefully we will get this right at some point,

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #165 on: May 05, 2010, 09:10:36 PM »
This is what I hope will be my journey soon.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #166 on: May 06, 2010, 09:38:58 AM »
I talked to a sales rep at Foremost Farms this morning about their white cheddar cheese, that I thought they carried.  What I found out was they only carry 40 lb. blocks of the white cheddar cheese and there is only one kind. They donít carry 5lb. loaves, like they do for the low moisture part-skim mozzarella, I now use in my blend.  I told the sales rep what I was trying to recreate and she suggested a blend of 70/30 mozzarella, provolone they do carry.  I know this isnít going to work out, but she is going to send me a 5 lb. bag of this cheese to try.  Since I have talked with Foremost Farms, I donít know if this kind of white cheddar is what Mackís is using or if they might purchase it in 40 lb. blocks.

I wonder how I can find out what kind of distributors for cheeses there are near Wildwood, NJ. I know my distributor carries many kind of products relating to making pizza, so I am sure there are also other distributors near Wildwood, that also supply the pizza businesses at the shore their products, also. I could call them and say I might be opening a pizza business near there and try to find out what kind of cheese Mackís might be using.  I might be able to tell them I want to use an all white cheddar and see what they carry.  Any ideas?

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #167 on: May 06, 2010, 10:18:23 AM »
Norma,

Some time ago, while I was looking for distributors in a particular state, I came across a PMQ feature at http://www.pmq.com/distributors/. That might be a good place for you to start. You may have to do a little research to see which distributors are nearest to Mack's. There is also a Vendor Directory at http://www.thepizzapages.com/pp/ and also at the Pizza Today website at http://www.pizzatoday.com/VendorDirectory/tabid/88/Default.aspx although I don't know how useful they will be for your purposes.

A point to keep in mind is that small businesses, which I think would include Mack's and Mack and Manko Pizza also, typically order all or most of their needs from a single supplier. So it is quite possible that they buy their flour from the same place they buy their cheese and sauce. If you can identify their supplier, you might get the names for flour, cheese, etc.

The only other way I can think of to get the supplier information you are looking for without information from someone who works for Mack's or M&M is to park yourself across the street from Mack's and wait for delivery trucks to show up and start unloading. That is something that budding pizza operators wishing to open up their own pizzerias sometimes do to gain intelligence on their future competitors.

Peter
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 10:38:50 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #168 on: May 06, 2010, 10:31:03 AM »
Peter,

Thanks for all the useful information.  I will work on what I can find out about the suppliers.  Your idea is good about being there when they get their deliveries.  Donít know if I can do that one, but maybe someone that is at the shore more often than I can be could find out that information and even then see what the name is on the delivery truck.

Norma

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #169 on: May 06, 2010, 10:32:16 AM »
This is one I see alot down there:

http://www.seashorefood.com/

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #170 on: May 06, 2010, 10:35:52 AM »
This is one I see alot down there:

http://www.seashorefood.com/

ERASMO,

Thanks for the great tip.  ;D  I will start with them and pose as a potential client.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #171 on: May 06, 2010, 10:53:10 AM »
Norma,

I checked out the Seashore catalog at http://www.seashorefood.com/Catalog2009.pdf, and tomato/pizza sauce products are at page 14, flour products (including a high-gluten flour) are at page 18, and cheeses (including white cheddar) are at page 25.

Peter

EDIT (6/1/14): For a Wayback Machine version of the above catalog, see http://web.archive.org/web/20090509051205/http://www.seashorefood.com/Catalog2009.pdf

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #172 on: May 06, 2010, 11:01:26 AM »
Norma,

I checked out the Seashore catalog at http://www.seashorefood.com/Catalog2009.pdf, and tomato/pizza sauce products are at page 14, flour products (including a high-gluten flour) are at page 18, and cheeses (including white cheddar) are at page 25.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks and I will call them.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #173 on: May 06, 2010, 11:24:07 AM »
Norma,

If it will help, when I call suppliers to get information my usual practice is to tell them that I am assisting a "friend" who is thinking of opening a pizzeria or offering a particular pizza product, which might include a product that is similar to someone else's product. That way, I don't put myself in a position of having to make any commitments, and they are less likely to be pushy about trying to land me as an account or to buy something from them. I tell them up front that any decisions will be made by my "friend" and that I am only an information gatherer. That gives me plenty of cover.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #174 on: May 06, 2010, 11:44:43 AM »
Peter,

I didnít read your post before I called, but it went okay.  If someone else wants to call, they can.
I called seashore food and talked to a lady about their products. I told her I had a pizza shop and was thinking about opening one at Wildwood. I first ask if they carried the Gangi Heavy with basil.  The lady I talked to said they didnít carry that product, but after talking to her for awhile said that most of the pizza places at the shore used the Don Pepino sauce in one way or another.  Strike one on that one.  Next I talked to the lady about their kinds of white cheddar and said I am now making pizza with white cheddar. I then didnít talk about mild, medium or sharp cheddar, I just asked about what kinds of white cheddars they were using at the shore. She said they carried LBSCHR sharp white cheddar and WISCON sharp white cheddar.  I then asked her if one of these two cheeses are what other pizza places use at the shore and she said yes.  I told her I was using the State Brand and she said they didnít carry that. I told the lady I was using KASL flour. I also talked about the All Trumps and she said that is what the pizza places use at the shore.

It makes me wonder since they donít carry the Gangi and since both Mackís and Mack and Mancos probably use the same supplier if someone like Sysco Foods might service them or if they might just get the Gangi separately. 

Also I will have to see if there can be more information found on these brands of sharp cheddar.  I am not familiar with these brands.

Norma

pizzapan