Author Topic: How to start your own portable wood-fired oven catering business  (Read 15349 times)

Offline telehort

I saw a listing for this from The Fire Within 
http://woodfiredpizza.eventbrite.com  in case it interests anyone.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 02:20:52 PM by telehort »

Offline Kemosa

Re: How to start your own portable wood-fired oven catering business
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 08:04:34 PM »
Seems a little ridiculous to me to spend that can dough to learn what's explained on this board.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 10:52:57 PM »
Yeah agreed thats a lot of Dough  :D most info offered here or to be found via various links
john
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline BurntFingers

• My son, nephew and me
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 01:09:37 PM »
The Kneading Conference had all that and more for a lot less. Even with three nights in a local hotel.  The great thing was it was in the fictional town of Empire Falls Maine.  The hands' on part of the conference and the connections made were invaluable.

Offline sagirvin

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 03:28:16 PM »
Comparing the Maine event with the one Joseph does is like comparing an apple to a horse.  They are two very different seminars.

I just returned from this seminar.  I was somewhat skeptical about how much my wife and I would learn as I already have a trailer from Joseph, his business manual, had done a cratering gig and a festival event where I sold about 150 pizzas. 

I was very pleased with the content, delivery and attention to detail in this seminar.  This was not a "how to use a wood fired oven" or "how to make pizza" class, it was a "How to start your own portable wood-fired oven catering business" class and it was spot on. 

You are not going to get into soil production potential, sharpening mill stones, the economics of growing grains or how to make all sorts of bread.  What you are going to get is a very targeted two days of how to start a successful mobile WFO catering/concession business.  One of the things I really like is Joseph's approach in instructing.  He didn't say, "this is how you HAVE to do it, it's the only way". What he did do is gave you everything you needed regardless of whether you wanted to do catering, fixed concession, mobile concession or a combo of all.  He said it's your business, run it the way you want and here is what I know works and doesn't. 

We started with a meet and greet Fri. night at Antonio Laudisio's restaurant.  This was a great time to meet all of the folks who were attending the seminar and find out their backgrounds, reason they wanted to be there and just general shop talk.  Joseph had invited 3 current operators who have experience doing this business as well as the guest chefs Antonio Laudisio and Billy Manzo.

Sat. we dove right in on everything you need to know to start this type of business.  From the equipment needed, insurance, health regulations and food safety, type of events, marketing, cost structure, price points, menus, contracts, how to pack equipment, wood, firing the oven and of course pizza and other food prep and cooking.  We worked with chef Billy Manzo in the afternoon making dough cooking up pizzas. 

On Sunday we met with chef Antonio making breakfast items and how he works farmers market and catering events.  He showed us what works and doesn't, how not to waste product and being creative with your items on hand and showmanship.  In the afternoon we went to a farm and catered a 40+person event with 3 ovens.  All of the food cooked was VERY well received.   

There were 12 people attending plus the 3 current operators, so it was very personable and everyone got all their questions answered.

You may think it's a lot of dough but it was tax deductible and well worth every bit of dough I spent on it.  You will NOT get everything on this forum that was covered in this class.  I can only imagine that these seminars will get better as Joseph does more of them.  I highly recommended this seminar if you want to know how to do this kind of business.

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 03:48:01 PM »
I appreciate your review.  I'm going next month.

Offline jjerrier2450

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 04:07:43 PM »
I will also offer up -if anyone is interested in checking out a mobile oven in operation, they are welcome to come to Dallas and work some live events with Cane Rosso.  Just shoot me a message.

Jay

Offline shango

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 04:16:25 PM »
funny, it almost looks like the client would be paying $800+transportation and lodging, to attend a 2 day sales pitch on a trailer mounted pizza oven.  Certainly all of the things that are covered could not be adequately taught in the 2 day period.

pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline sagirvin

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 08:26:25 PM »
2 day sales pitch???  There are always skeptics(as I was before I went).  I attended and as far as I'm concerned from a business point of view and a networking relationship, it was worth it.   

Offline sagirvin

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 08:28:13 PM »
Forgot to mention that at no time did Joseph make a sales pitch for selling trailers.  He didn't need to. No pressure to buy.  Only good advice on doing a business.

Offline shango

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 09:40:03 PM »
fair enough

pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline telehort

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 08:09:32 PM »
I second what sagirvin said about the event.  I was there and it was a great event for networking and getting some hands on time with the ovens before you decide if it is a road you want to go down or not. The cost of attending to find out if it is or isn't something you want to get into before investing a lot of time and money into the business is really not that large if you can take away a feeling that it is either right or wrong for you.  Some people say the Vegas Pizza Expo is a waste of time and money if you are in the business already, but I found it to be invaluable in both products shown there as well as some networking that come from it.

I also would like to throw out as jjerrier did, if anyone is looking at a mobile operation and wants to come to Northern California to see/work a few events with me, they are more than welcome.

Offline telehort

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 04:20:09 PM »
I have talked to Joseph and the event was such a success that he is having another seminar for those who would like to attend on Nov 7-8th.  The listing can be found here http://woodfiredpizza.eventbrite.com

Offline telehort

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 12:33:37 AM »
Joseph is doing a couple more workshops in early '10 February 27th and 28th and March 20th and 21st

A video from the first event can be found here  http://www.youtube.com/user/thefirewithinpizza

the registration sites can be found
for Feb 27th and 28th  http://thefirewithingettingstarted1.eventbrite.com/ 
and for March 21st and 22nd  http://thefirewithingettingstarted2.eventbrite.com/

pizzapan