Author Topic: Pictures of NY Style Pepperoni Pie  (Read 4827 times)

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
Pictures of NY Style Pepperoni Pie
« on: February 19, 2005, 12:06:00 PM »
I decided to use my last dough ball for a pepperoni pie. Since the dough was four days old I didn't get the big bubbles or grill spring I normally do. I also dipped the fresh basil leaves in the sauce to help prevent them from burning to a crisp.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 12:31:57 PM by pftaylor »
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline pftaylor

Re: Pictures of NY Style Pepperoni Pie
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 12:09:18 PM »
I used a shorter pre-heat this time and the results show it. Bake time was a little more than five minutes. I prefer a three minute bake. The normally deeply colored orange-hued crust was more brownish. No doubt due to the grill not being as hot as I would have liked. The Ezzo pepperoni, while tasty, added a lot of juice on the top.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 03:48:42 PM by pftaylor »
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 02:02:57 PM »
jft,

Looks really great.

I wondered how you liked the Ezzo pepperoni compared with the other brands you have tried. Sometimes a particular product is praised so much that we come to expect a lot out of it, only to be disappointed when we actually try it out and find out that our expectatations were too high.

One of the things I have tried in using fresh basil is to add it to the pizza after it comes out of the oven, relying on the heat of the pizza to wilt the basil. That way it retains its nice green color so much better. I sometimes do both, put some on before baking and then after baking.

Peter

Offline Crusty

• It's all about CRUST
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 11:10:56 AM »
Pft, that is a work of art.  Can you describe your grill and technique, stone/screen?  etc.

Thanks,

Crusty

Offline snowdy

• i pledge allegiance to the pizza
    • Dataheadz Design
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 05:07:41 PM »
Beautiful!! looks tasty.

What brand and model of BBQ do you own?

Also, can you recommend anywhere i can order ezzo pepperoni from that will ship to California?

thanks!

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005, 07:04:15 AM »
Crusty & Snowdy,
At a high level, I use double stacked unglazed tile on the grates of my TEC Patio II All Stainless grill. TEC employs an "infra-red" cooking technology which accounts for it's quick heating properties and intense heat. Pre-heat is anywhere from 15 - 30 minutes on the highest setting. Bake time ranges from 2 - 5 minutes depending on how long the pre-heat time is.

Doing my research before buying the grill it's 800 degree temperature at the grate level seemed to be a perfect match for the oven environment which is necessary to cook a NY style pie in a convincing way. I'm not sure how else the TEC would be that different from any other type of grill.

Regarding Ezzo, I ordered it from pennmac.com. I think they will ship anywhere.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline snowdy

• Dataheadz Design
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 02:42:21 PM »
pftaylor...
man i am so jealous  :o

I have to get me one of those grills. When you make just 1 pizza are you able to close the lid on high heat while it cooks? (i saw your other post about when you cooked 8 pizzas and had to leave it open).

Also, what brand of olive oil is that you are using? Did you just pick it out at random? Or have you found that to be the best tasting? Is it extra virgin or regular?

Also about your ezzo pepperoni...  i emailed the source you gave me and can't wait to get a reply.. i never thought id be so freakin excited about pepperoni hehe. How big of a bag did you get? 10LB?

Thanks man... L8r!!  :D

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 05:17:48 PM »
Snowdy,

If I were you, I would call PennMac (1-800-223-5928 or 1-412-471-5928) and ask to speak with Rose. You will get faster and more personalized service than using email which, in my experience, few respond to. Rose knows of the forum, so if you call it is a good idea to mention it.

My recollection is that the Ezzo pepperoni comes in a 25-pound package, nothing smaller.

Peter

Offline friz78

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 05:30:56 PM »
pft,

you've done it again my friend - GREAT LOOKING PIZZA.

What's the deal on the pepperoni?  Is it really that good? I don't want to special order something that isn't tried and true if I don't have to.   But if it really is that good, I know I won't be able to control myself.  I have been amazed at how many average brands of pepperoni are out there.  :)

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005, 05:31:04 PM »
Snowdy,
I was able to buy 2 Ezzo sticks of normal size for about $5.00. Also, I'm a buyer of both EVOO & OO of several different brands - no one sticks out as being better than any other in my experience. Maybe I should focus more attention on the quality of the oil I use now that I've solved some of the bigger issues around heat, crust and cheese. Regarding your hood question, I have warped it so bad that after about 45 minutes on high I am unable to open the hood. There is a piece of stainless steel which is designed to vent heat out the back and apparently it cannot evacuate the heat rapidly enough to keep from warping.  Of course, the manufacturer specifically states: "Do Not Operate Grill on High With Hood Closed." Have I listened?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 08:14:15 PM by pftaylor »
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 06:29:36 PM »
Friz,
Thank you for your comments. I couldn't be having more fun now that I've figured out how to handle the intense heat. The solution was so simple it starring me in the face for months and I didn't see it. In the end, all I had to do was place freaking unglazed quarry tiles (double stacked) on the grill grates. I was then able to achieve equal heating for the top and bottom of the pizza. I bet I tried about 100 different configurations of stones, foil, tiles, with and without the grates before it finally came together and worked. The trick was to move the physical height of the pizza up high enough in the grill where the trapped hood heat could have it's way with it. Seems logical now but I spent many sleepless nights thinking I was going to have to live with 550 degree oven baked pizza for the rest of my life if I couldn't figure the problem out.

The thing is that at the same time I began understanding how to handle the heat issue, I found a cheese (Polly-O Fresh Mozzarella) which was a perfect match for my NY Fresh Mozzarella tastes. Granted I was skeptical of any cheese product that had Polly-O's reputation associated with it but it was so close visually to what I knew Patsy's used (a somewhat dry, ultra white fresh mozzarella) I was compelled to give it a try. Wouldn't you know it, the Polly-O had all the characteristics I wanted (taste and good splotch) and it was dirt cheap. I can attest that high price per pound cheese does not mean it will work well for pizza. What is amazing is that even Polly - O, with all it's low end quality cheese in the market has a flagship product.

Ezzo pepperoni was another find (thanks to Pete-zza). It's flavor is incredible and it is well worth the money. My only concern with it is how juicy it makes the top of the pie. It exudes a lot of juice. So there is a trade-off.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 08:24:33 PM by pftaylor »
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline snowdy

• Dataheadz Design
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2005, 07:24:25 PM »
hey guys, i got a reply from abbot sysco. they have ezzo in a 10lb quantity which would be about the most i could fit into my freezer...but it says "sandwich" by it. im not sure if that would work on pizza or what.. i sent a reply to find out how thick and big the pieces are.

Here's there reply:

We do carry Ezzo brand pepperoni.  Below are the items stocked. What type of quantities are you looking for?

25 LB EZZO PEPPERONI SLICED 51MM 14-15 CT
10LB EZZO PEPPERONI SLICED SAND
25 LB EZZO PEPPERONI SLICED 38 MM

David Ferguson
Vice President Merchandising
Abbott Sysco Food Services
ferguson.dave@abbott.sysco.com

pizzapan