Author Topic: Has Anybody Seen This Book?  (Read 6864 times)

Offline FirePie

Has Anybody Seen This Book?
« on: August 17, 2009, 07:24:51 AM »
I just noticed a brand new guide to pizza making at Amazon.com. It's called "Passionate About Pizza" by Curtis Ide, and is available in paperback from Twin Minds Publishing as well as a Kindle Edition released last year in November. Further info can be found by clicking this link to their website:

http://www.passionateaboutpizzabook.com

-FirePie-

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0615258603/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Has Anybody Seen This Book?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 10:53:57 AM »
Bryan,

I have not personally read it but the book was written by one of the forum's members, pizzaman383. See http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8061.0.html.

Peter

Offline FirePie

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 12:23:49 PM »
Peter,

Not 30 seconds after posting this new thread I discovered the same page in the Pizza Goods and Services For Sale category and that the author was also a member of the forum. The paperback edition had only been released a month and a half ago, so I was wondering if anybody jumped ahead and took a gander at it. Based on the excerpt I read on pizzaman383's official webpage it looks as though we may finally have a definitive published guide to the art of pizza making. Great news for a beginner like myself. The fact that it reached the #1 rating of the top 100 reviewed pizza cookbooks by Amazon.com President Jeff Bezos (aka Pizzameister) is also quite impressive.  8)

Offline pizzaman383

• Passionate About Pizza Cookbook
    • Passionate About Pizza Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 08:54:41 PM »
FirePie,

I happened to notice your posting, today.  I'm glad to see that at least one person has seen it on Amazon!  I haven't sold any paperback cookbooks through Amazon, as of yet.  Kindle versions of my Pizza Tutorial have sold well and I've sold some Kindle full cookbooks, as well.

The book has been well received by many of the people who have bought it and I've received no bad feedback.  I am primarily selling it through word of mouth.  Someone buys one and tells their friends, some of which buy one.  I have sold about 20 books at a local Italian specialty-products store and another 16 at a local book signing.

I hope you find the right set of pizza cookbooks to help you along the way.  There are some great books available and I hope mine adds a slightly different perspective to the mix.  This forum is a great source of information, too.

May your dough always rise!

Curtis
aka pizzaman383
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 10:18:28 PM by pizzaman383 »
Author - Passionate About Pizza: Making Great Homemade Pizza

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 01:41:31 PM »
< I haven't sold any through Amazon, as of yet.>

You might want to check with Amazon..they owe you at least one royalty..mine
It was among the first books I purchased for my Iphone Kindle..a few months ago, I believe
Great job !

Offline pizzaman383

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 10:16:47 PM »
< I haven't sold any (edited...paperbacks) through Amazon, as of yet.>

You might want to check with Amazon..they owe you at least one royalty..mine
It was among the first books I purchased for my Iphone Kindle..a few months ago, I believe
Great job !

Thanks for buying!  I have sold some on the Kindle.  I should have said, I haven't yet sold any of the paperbacks via Amazon.

How do you like having cookbooks on the Kindle?  I've sold quite a few of my short tutorial but fewer full cookbooks.  I've wondered whether Kindle users are embracing cookbooks, yet.

I hope you find the book helpful.

Take care,
Curtis

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 12:15:41 PM »
I actually have the Kindle application on my Iphone and I love it.
The Iphone gives me a backlit screen so I can read at night, in the dark, without bothering the wife.
She has a Kindle, which while a bit larger is not back lit.
With the same account, the books we have purchased show up on both devices.
I've greatly increased my book purchasing and reading..I used to see authors and notice books that I wanted, but frankly often never made the effort to make it to the bookstore or order on-line.
I was on vacation in Italy, ran out of reading material, and within a few minutes bought 2 more books for the flight home.
A lot of my reading was disposable...read it and toss it or give it away so I don't miss the paper trail.
I bought yours on a whim..a search for "pizza"..and a click later there is is on my phone.
I'm also fascinated my the technology..I deleted the application in error, and thought all my books were gone.
A few minutes later I had re-downloaded the application and within minutes Amazon restored all my books..like magic !
Now, having said that, I'd prefer having a hard copy of _cookbooks_..about the only books I will display and revisit..especially pizza.
It is difficult, however to have an author autograph  the iphone...
Good luck with sales..
Perry
Perry

Offline pizzaman383

Improved Passionate About Pizza Ebook edition
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 09:38:07 AM »
UPDATE:  Ebook readers are becoming more popular.  Even better, most of them are now available as software that runs on color devices and computers!

The Passionate About Pizza eBook has been updated to take advantage of these new ereaders:
  • links make navigation throughout the book easy
  • color pictures that can be zoomed into
  • search function works better than an index
  • now includes Quickstart guide to make getting started easier
  • available via Amazon Kindle and Apple iBooks (Barnes and Noble Nook coming soon)

Offline petef

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 05:15:30 PM »
FirePie,

I happened to notice your posting, today.  I'm glad to see that at least one person has seen it on Amazon!  I haven't sold any paperback cookbooks through Amazon, as of yet.  Kindle versions of my Pizza Tutorial have sold well and I've sold some Kindle full cookbooks, as well.

pizzaman383, I think it's great that you published your own book!
All the reviews on Amazon came in at 5 Star!

I like your cover photo showing many pizza pics.
I'm wondering is you could please post here on the
forum some pics of your best pies that you are
teaching how t make in the book.

Also.. You mention that your book takes a different
approach compared to others.
Can you be more specific?

---pete---

Offline pizzaman383

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 07:46:21 AM »
pizzaman383, I think it's great that you published your own book!
All the reviews on Amazon came in at 5 Star!

I like your cover photo showing many pizza pics.
I'm wondering is you could please post here on the
forum some pics of your best pies that you are
teaching how t make in the book.

Also.. You mention that your book takes a different
approach compared to others.
Can you be more specific?

---pete---

I've posted many pictures in the gallery of my website.  You can see them at: http://www.passionateaboutpizzabook.com/wpg2-3

Everybody likes a different type of pizza.  Ideally, you could have exactly the pizza you want.  It would be great to have a fantastic pizza every time you make it.

So, what do you do? How do you find the right recipe? Well, you make one up! How do you do that? Well, you start with a known recipe and make small adjustments until it gives results you like. It's the process that many readers of this forum go through.

- If you want thinner crust, make the pizza bigger or make the same size using slightly less dough. If you want it thicker, make a smaller pizza.
- If you want bigger bubbles or a puffier crust, use more water in the recipe. It will make the dough softer and it will rise more.
- If your dough won't stretch/roll out, let it rest a few minutes for the gluten to relax.
- If you want more flavor in the crust, add some flavored olive oil or finely grated Romano cheese to the dough before kneading. You can also use sourdough starter.
- Have you tried baking pizza in a pan, using a pizza screen, or on a baking stone to see which one you like?
- Have you changed the location of the pizza on the bottom, middle, or top rack of the oven to see which one bakes it more to your liking?

How do you make the pizza great every time?  You make it systematically.  You do the same things in the same way every time.  If you want something different then you make slight adjustments.  You remember how they worked and keep the ones that make the pizza better.  In other words, you continually improve.  Pizzerias do this to make their own pizzas consistent.

I developed the Passionate About Pizza System to explain how to do this.  The book introduces the system and it is used as a foundation throughout the book.  Readers of this form will see a lot of similarity between the way many of them approach making pizza and how Passionate About Pizza guides one making pizza.  I've never seen any pizza cookbook that uses this approach which is why I wrote my book.

Hope this helps,
PizzaMan

Offline petef

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 10:06:25 PM »
I've posted many pictures in the gallery of my website.  You can see them at: http://www.passionateaboutpizzabook.com/wpg2-3

Thanks pizzaman! The pizza gallery was great!
Although I get most of my pizza making tips here on the forum,
I'll probably buy your book to have a good reference with all
the tips in one organized resource. ---pete---

Offline pizzaman383

Re: Improved Passionate About Pizza Ebook edition
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 06:20:05 PM »
UPDATE:  Ebook readers are becoming more popular.  Even better, most of them are now available as software that runs on color devices and computers!

The Passionate About Pizza eBook has been updated to take advantage of these new ereaders:
  • links make navigation throughout the book easy
  • color pictures that can be zoomed into
  • search function works better than an index
  • now includes Quickstart guide to make getting started easier
  • available via Amazon Kindle, Apple iBooks, and Barnes and Noble Nook

Now available on Barnes and Noble Nook.

Offline clancy

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 06:44:46 PM »
Wow, those were great pictures, this looks like just what I need!  :chef:

Offline pizzaman383

Passionate About Pizza Picture Gallery
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 07:10:19 PM »
The address of the Passionate About Pizza picture gallery has changed.  The new address is: http://www.passionateaboutpizzabook.com/pizzamans-gallery

pizzapan