Author Topic: cold fermintation of IDY dough and starter sharing the same fridge  (Read 256 times)

Offline carl333

• Quest for a great dough!
I have a beer fridge downstairs that I rarely open at least this time of year and I now use to store my SD starter and cold ferm of dough. Peter brought me to a link that suggested the importance of a stable temp in the fridge if at all possible while fermenting dough. So my set up seems pretty good. I also use it to store my Ischia starter. That led me to think perhaps it may not be a good idea having IDY yeast balls fermenting  in the fridge and sharing space along side my stater. Something about cross pollination, contamination or something? Ok, that's not the words but you get my drift.

Is this practice acceptable?
Carl

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: cold fermintation of IDY dough and starter sharing the same fridge
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 02:43:04 PM »
I have a beer fridge downstairs that I rarely open at least this time of year and I now use to store my SD starter and cold ferm of dough. Peter brought me to a link that suggested the importance of a stable temp in the fridge if at all possible while fermenting dough. So my set up seems pretty good. I also use it to store my Ischia starter. That led me to think perhaps it may not be a good idea having IDY yeast balls fermenting  in the fridge and sharing space along side my stater. Something about cross pollination, contamination or something? Ok, that's not the words but you get my drift.

Is this practice acceptable?

Keep a lid on 'em and keep them clean which you should do anyway.  No worries.
Mitch

Offline carl333

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 02:51:20 PM »
Keep a lid on 'em and keep them clean which you should do anyway.  No worries.

My lids on the starter are loose and my Tupperware containers containing the IDY dough has a nail hole that I put for venting purposes
Carl

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 02:52:53 PM »
No worry.
Mitch

Offline carl333

Carl

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 03:05:02 PM »
If you kept the lids off of 2 sourdough starters, side by side, that MIGHT cause me to worry about cross "contamination."  But, an idy dough next door to a starter is nothin'.  Apples and oranges.

BTW, I don't think it hurts but I do not see it to be a big deal to put a good lid on the starter.  I have 4 in my beverage fridge side by side with lids on for a year now.  But, I would probably get a little concerned if the lids were loose.  The starter in the fridge lives just fine with a lid on it. 
Mitch

Offline carl333

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 03:10:16 PM »
If you kept the lids off of 2 sourdough starters, side by side, that MIGHT cause me to worry about cross "contamination."  But, an idy dough next door to a starter is nothin'.  Apples and oranges.

BTW, I don't think it hurts but I do not see it to be a big deal to put a good lid on the starter.  I have 4 in my beverage fridge side by side with lids on for a year now.  But, I would probably get a little concerned if the lids were loose.  The starter in the fridge lives just fine with a lid on it.

K, I have always read to keep a loose fitting lid on your starter
Carl

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 05:08:07 PM »
You could pour your Ischia culture on top of your IDY dough and it wouldn't contaminate it in the sense you are asking about.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline carl333

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 05:17:48 PM »
You could pour your Ischia culture on top of your IDY dough and it wouldn't contaminate it in the sense you are asking about.

Tks Craig. I didn't want my Ischia taking on some of the characteristics of IDY over time. Learning.
Carl

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 05:21:29 PM »
If you make a culture from IDY, it will eventually die off all on it's own and other yeast/bacteria will move in and take over. The strains they pick to make IDY are chosen to give you consistant, repeatable, big-lift, large margin of error performance - not to survive for many generations. It's not going to contaminate your Ischia.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage