Author Topic: Bella Terra  (Read 1185 times)

Offline trelk

Bella Terra
« on: August 23, 2009, 04:14:59 PM »
Hello.  I am new here.

After reading these boards for hours I start wondering where all the good pizza restaurants are.  Perhaps most of the best places to eat pizza are at people's houses where pizza is important to the person making them.

Anyway, I was reading about which canned tomatoes to use and have run across the brand "Bella Terra".  I looked on these boards a few pages back and did not see any mention of these.  Has anyone tried this particular brand and what did you think?  From talk on the internet I can find very little about them but everything seems positive.

I was also wondering about using Muir Glen tomatoes for a Naples style pizza or perhaps a blend of these with a San Marzano.  Any thoughts you could offer would be great and I look forward to becoming a regular here.

Offline pazzonoah

Re: Bella Terra
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 11:28:46 PM »
I tried them after reading about them in some SF newspaper article somewhere online ranking them #1. I found them to be somewhat watery and not that great - was not very  impressed and would not buy them again. One thing to understand about canned tomatoes is that they can vary season to season and some cans are better than others even for the same brand. Lots of good advice on which ones are preferred here from lots of members who have eaten just about all of them. Just note that to each their own - some like them sweeter, some like a little more acid kick etc - find the one you like and go with it - best advice is to read the posts here and experiment for yourself. My current favorites for neopolitan-style pies are Delallo non-DOP and Cento non-DOP italian (not style). Just noticed that whole foods now carries Dellalo organic italian non-DOP in 14 oz cans - will have to try those. Happy experimenting!

pizzapan