Author Topic: New Pizza Maker from Pa.  (Read 4838 times)

Offline Bob1

Re: New Pizza Maker from Pa.
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2009, 07:21:17 AM »
Uncon,
I always buy the cases of 6 in 1 at Bova.  I believe it works out to about $1.50 for 28oz cans.  I think I also payed about $26 for a case of 6 6lb 9 oz cans.  I think that works out to less than $1.20 per 28ozs of product. It makes great Spaghetti sauce.  Hard to go wrong at those prices.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2009, 10:36:59 PM »
Ev,
It was nice meeting you today.  If you need any help, just let me know.  I don't have that much experience yet, but will help in any way I can.  Good luck with your current Lehmann pizzas!  :)
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2009, 08:05:45 AM »
Thanks, Norma. I enjoyed meeting you as well, and you make a fine pie, I might add.
 Thanks for the samples and tips you gave me.
I made one pie last night using the Lehmann recipe for the first time. My best yet. I'll have another for lunch today and see if one more day of fermentation changes anything.
Thanks again.
Ev

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2009, 09:00:32 AM »
Ev,
Great to hear your Lehmann pizza turned out the best yet.  I really like the Lehmann formulation.  With your one day longer fermentation your pie should turn out great today.  Peter and Tom Lehmann have helped me very much with my dough management. 
Let me know how your pizza turned out today.  Best of luck.
Norma

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2009, 06:38:38 PM »
Well now. Yesterdays' pie was my best yet, that is until today. Todays' pie was considerably better than yesterday. I've never had a dough so easy to work with, but the biggest difference was the addition of Grande cheese as opposed to my homemade mozz. I found a place in Reading, "Russos", that sells it pre-shredded in small quantities. I may be able to get them to break a case. I'll try that later. I also found 1# packages of saf IDY for $2.35 each at "Salinos"

Norma, if you are still willing to share some cheese next week, let me know. Thanks
Ev

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2009, 10:58:47 PM »
Ev,
That's great your pizza turned out well.  I love the Grande Cheese.  What kind of Grande did you purchase?  I would still like to try the East Coast Blend.  I just don't want my pizza to be really greasy.  That is why I am using the part-skimmed, low moisture. 
I did get a case of Grande today.  It went up to 2.12 a lb.  If you still want to purchase some next Tuesday email me.  My email is under my profile.  Let me know how much you want and if you want it shredded.  I shred the cheese on Monday, so you would have to let me know before Monday. If you want to purchase a loaf, that is okay, too.
Thanks for letting me know how your pizza was today.
Norma

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2009, 01:26:52 PM »
Norma,
Your email seems to be hidden under your profile, but mine is not, if you'd care to email me. Anyway, if you'd care to sell me a loaf, I'd be most appreciative. You can email me the price and I'll stop by Tuesday PM.
 BTW, the type of Grande from Russos' was unmarked on the package, so I called them today and was told the only type they sell is the part-skim/low moisture, that you use. They refused to break a case for me.
 I think I'll make some dough today, for Sunday, and go to Russos for a coupe pounds of cheese to tide me over. They also carry "San Marzano" tomatoes in 28 oz. cans. Do you have any experience with those?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2009, 03:24:07 PM »
Ev,
You should be able to click on anyone's name and it will bring up their profile.  Under their name it shows if you can private message people on this forum, or if they have a website, or if they have an email.  Check mine again and see if you can find my email either way or other members.  I will email you from my private email, since you can't access mine.
I get my Grande cheese from my local pizza man.  I had called Grande cheese this week to see who my local distributor was in my area.  The sales rep had called me this morning and told me to call Russo in Wymossing, since this is the local distributor.  I had asked him what the price of the Grande cheese would be for a case if I picked it up.  He gave me the price of 2.31 a lb.  That is more than I am paying now.  He asked me if I wanted an account and I am in the process of doing that.  I don't know if there will be a difference in the price or not because he wouldn't let me know that.  If not, I still will buy my cheese from my local pizza man.
I went to Mandro's yesterday in Lancaster.  I was never there before.  I purchased some Parmesan reggiano and some domestic mozzarella.  They have the fresh mozzarella from Italy, but it was too expensive for me to experiment with.  I saw they sell some San Marzano tomatoes there, too.  I never tried them.  I would like to experiment with some fresh tomatoes.  Maybe next year I will try and grow some. 
If you are interested in going to Mandro's, it is at the corner of Lemon St. and Charlotte.  I am going to go to Russo's one of these days to see what the price difference is in products.
Good luck with your pizza this weekend.  Let me know how it turned out.
If you want to see how people use San Marzano canned tomatoes post a question under ingredients on this forum.  I am sure someone will response and let you know how they use them.
Norma

pizzapan