Author Topic: Mixing caputo 00 with regular flour?  (Read 1098 times)

Offline 5thElement

Mixing caputo 00 with regular flour?
« on: August 25, 2009, 01:37:01 PM »
A while back i picked up a couple bags of caputo 00 flour but i've since read that it's only really suited to higher temperature ovens, so it's sat in the cupboard unused.

I wonder what affect it would have mixing some in with my regular pizza flour (allinsons strong white bread flour)

What percentage of mix would be worth attempting? and is it even worth messing with? would i notice any difference in the final crust?

Any input would be appreciated!

Offline trosenberg

• Burning Desire for Pizza
Re: Mixing caputo 00 with regular flour?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 04:36:12 PM »
Sure it is OK to mix Caputo with other flours.  I usually mix some high gluten flour, but you can mix bread flour as well.  The proportions will depend on the type  of dough you prefer.  More Caputo in the blend & you will have a softer pie that will not darken in a typical home oven setup. More bread flour will result in a crisper crust that will brown up more readily.  If I were you I would experiment; start with a 50/50 blend and see how you like that. Try some different ratios and see what suits your taste.
Trosenberg

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 04:46:21 PM »
5thElement,

trosenberg stated the matter perfectly. For a few examples of my experiments with the type of blend you are considering see the series of posts starting at Reply 130 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,504.msg28423.html#msg28423.

Peter

Offline 5thElement

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 02:10:03 PM »
Thanks for the replys, i guess it's just a case of trial and error so i'll need to give it a try sometime.

Thanks for the links as well Peter, i'll have a more in depth read shortly!

pizzapan