Author Topic: Grande Chesse (local problems at distributor}  (Read 2981 times)

Offline johnnytuinals

Grande Chesse (local problems at distributor}
« on: July 20, 2009, 11:22:23 PM »
Well I buy my Grande Chesse at Bova foods in Pa.
I have used my last Whole milk 5lb bag of grande in Diced....
I thought I would buy a case of Grande WM Shredded
Well Bova had None and the had no Diced WM grande.
They had the East Coast blend(I still have 2 5lb bags Diced left to give to my friends of the east coast blend lol}
I ended up
Buying a case of 8 7lb of Grande Loafs in a case,,,
I paid $113 for the case(whatever per pound that may be}
I feel its still a great price.....
Now I am kinda feeling that the loafs are a tad cheaper in price
But I feel that the WM is better tasting from Grande..
Next time I will look for a Grande Shredded by the case.....

Last year at Bova they were selling mostly grande  Shredded WM chesse
It seems that they mostly are selling the east coast blend NOW
Think I will look at a Cash and carry in New Jersey the next time
that I will restock.................JT

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
Re: Grande Chesse (local problems at distributor}
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 07:25:55 AM »
JT

Do you u se Stavola in New Jersey?

Offline Bob1

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 10:24:45 AM »
Johnny,

I live about 15 minutes from Bova and go there a lot.  In the store section Frank has been breaking out the part skim Grande for some time and I have been buying the 5lb bags for $18.  I talked to him on Sunday and he said that he may start putting out the East Coast Blend to see how it moves.  I take it that you do not care for them as much.  I never tried the Grande whole milk, but I imagine that is great.  If they go back to whole milk and you need someone to split a case let me know.  On another note I tried their Bova Cuccina Basil whole San Marazano in puree and found that they were very good for $8 a large can.  Frank said that they get to sample their named brand and then purchase the lot.  That means that every tomato was picked the same day for that lot and all the cans should be the same quality, you may want to give it a try. 

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 10:32:21 AM »
Bought the Grande WM at Ferrarro foods Piscataway great Taste but Lots of Oiling off. East coast next
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 09:09:09 PM »
I don't mind buying a case,because I give half of it away anyways lol.
I like the whole milk
I like the East coast blend,but I rather have the WM.I will try a cash and carry in  jersey next time for the WM shredded if bova does not have it...........
this was the first time I saw losse bags of Grande in their freezer......I think its a lot cheaper by the case.......JT
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 09:16:54 PM by johnnytuinals »

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 03:15:59 PM »
Bought the Grande WM at Ferrarro foods Piscataway great Taste but Lots of Oiling off. East coast next
John

Hi John - is this place in Piscataway cash and carry?  Is that the closest place to us to try this out?

I was looking at the nutritional info on East coast vs. whole milk vs. part skim and it does not make a ton of sense.

Whole milk: 1 oz = 80 cal = 6g fat (3.5 saturated) - 20mg cholesterol - 180mg sodium
Part skim: 1 oz = 80 cal = 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat) - 15mg cholesterol - 170mg sodium
East coast: 1oz = 90 cal = 6g fat (3.5 saturated) - 20mg cholesterol - 160mg sodium

You would think east coast would be an even 50/50 between part skim/whole?

i know most people are not concerned with nutritional info but I was trying to see mainly the fat comparison between whole milk and east coast.

I'd like to try at both east coast and part skim. Thinking I'll be happy with just the part skim though.
Patrick

Offline Mo

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 09:25:10 PM »
Don't you east coast guys have some really good local cheese makers doing mozz? I know Calabro is Dynamite (Vermont, I think) but surely there are other local options that would equal or better Grande?

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 09:48:02 PM »
Grande is the Best
Wisconsin,,,yummmmmmm

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 08:55:35 AM »
Mo,
I'd love to find a regionally made cheese, rather than going to the big Wisconsin company.

Calabro is available, but I'll have to find out about the "rennet" (whether it is from animals or vegetables).

Any other brands you know about?  Cabot is around, but they are really more of a cheddar company to the point where they only sell mozzarella in 6oz pre-shredded packs.

Patrick

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 11:47:29 AM »
calabro is from connecticut.   Its ok, but really nothing special.   I see why pepes stopped using it

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 12:20:10 PM »
oops... calabro is still claiming pepe's uses it exclusively on their website!
Patrick

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 12:35:42 PM »
oops... calabro is still claiming pepe's uses it exclusively on their website!

Patrick,

I spoke with a lady at Calabro several years ago about that, and she said that they were planning to correct their website. Maybe they concluded that it was to their benefit to let people believe that Pepe's is a customer.

Peter

Offline Mo

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 07:17:14 PM »
calabro is from connecticut.   Its ok, but really nothing special.   I see why pepes stopped using it

I've used their dry-pack fior de latte 6# logs and thought they were great for pizzas. Grande ovolini 8oz balls cut better fresh but once melted Calabro I thought was superior. Don't get me wrong, Grande is good but I would put Calabro on a pizza first. I just wish Grande would start packing a big drypack log like Calabro, then I think the balance might swing. Talked to a Grande sales rep awhile back and he said they were thinking about doing one but it hasn't made it into production yet. Maybe lack of demand...

Offline Mo

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 07:26:35 PM »
Mo,
I'd love to find a regionally made cheese, rather than going to the big Wisconsin company.

Calabro is available, but I'll have to find out about the "rennet" (whether it is from animals or vegetables).

Any other brands you know about?  Cabot is around, but they are really more of a cheddar company to the point where they only sell mozzarella in 6oz pre-shredded packs.

Just poking around, I found these three, which all look fabulous, two of them making bufarella:

http://www.mountainmozzarella.com/products-fresh-mozzarella.htm

http://www.bufaladivermont.com/005.html

http://www.mozzarita.com/italian-cheese.htm

I mean, aside from the lovely dells of Wisconsin, Vermont is like the American cheese mecca, no?

Offline Mo

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 04:40:18 PM »
Just poking around, I found these three, which all look fabulous, two of them making bufarella:

http://www.mountainmozzarella.com/products-fresh-mozzarella.htm

http://www.bufaladivermont.com/005.html

http://www.mozzarita.com/italian-cheese.htm

I mean, aside from the lovely dells of Wisconsin, Vermont is like the American cheese mecca, no?

So has anyone tried these northeastern buffalo mozz cheeses? I am curious to hear what they are like...

pizzapan